ZRTKATS NEW RIDE

zrtkat

How about removing a small part of the hinges just where the carbides cross them.

Okay. Are you referring to the piano hinge that holds the flip down plywood flap at the end of the ramp where the ramp hits the ground? I think everyone was assuming you meant the hinges that hold the ramp to the trailer. I just looked at the gallery on their website. If you're referring to the flap I have ski guides on the ramp and the plywood flap. I used the manufactured tapered edge of the ski guide at the ground end of the ramp. To fit it and be sure that the plywood could still flip over I measured with the ramp door closed pushing the ski guide as high as it would go toward the flap and then backing off about 3/8 in. I also cut short pieces of ski guide for the flap. I cut the edge facing the flap hinge at about a 30 degree angle. I measured them similarly. I placed them on the flap with the door closed and slid them as close to the fold over as I could get the then backed off about 3/8". Now I have ski guide on the ramo and the flap. The angling and slight set back allow the flap to fold over and the skis and carbides ride above the piano hinge. To stop the carbides from catching the trailer end of the ramp when backing out I use a piece of black ABS about 5' wide that I sit in the gap. The skis and carbides go up and over without catching any edges. It's cheap easily replaced and helps keep the gap clean of snow and ice. When one sled is on I slide it to the other side

5 hours ago, Nunz said:

Nice Sled Congrats!! Hope to meet you guys on the trail one day.

BTDT! Great guys to chat w/.

ZRTKAT, my father rode until he was 76. No big trips like you though LOL

It must be New Toy Tuesday today.

Zrtcat, that's a pretty sharp looking sled, anxious to see you on it this winter !

For your hinge problem, cut yourself a piece of 1x4 board the width of the ramp, and just sit it next to the hinge.  As the carbides hit the wood they'll hop over the hinge.  By the time the rest of the runner comes over the board, the carbide will be long past the hinge.  If you find the board climbs over the hinge when the carbide grabs it, that's fine, it'll at least carry the carbide to the other side of the hinge.

Solutions don't always need to be complicated..... :D

Crawdaddy you have the best idea. Screw a piece of schedule 40 pipe of half inch or more on the gate/door just above the hinge and then another one on the floor just far enough away from the hinge to miss the other piece when the door is closed. That will act like a bridge that the carbide will bridge over top.

My FIL still rides at 76.

He broke his back last winter riding.

Drove 35 miles to camp after the incident and then 65 miles back to the truck the next day.

He is one tough man let me tell ya.

12 hours ago, zrtkat said:

I need some advice on my trailer see the hinges for my back door they are getting crushed from the carbides on the sleds, do not know how to save the hinges ,because if you cover them up the flap will not close enough to allow the door to close , anyone have this problem ??????

Thanks for all the kind words about zrtkats new ride

Greg

Place and screw down some small pieces of rubber mat over top of the hinges. It will also have flex when you fold the door closed...

10 hours ago, zrtkat said:

here is a picture of the hinges on my back door of the trailer

trailer.jpg

Hi Greg,

Sled looks great and they are so quiet and smooth! 

Get a sheet of plastic lattice and cut what you need to go before and after the hinge and you can put it down on all the floor to make it easy to load and slide sleds around.  It is good for grip too compare to a slippery frozen sheet of wood. 

I also have put the plastic joint material (found where you get the lattice) down to help the skis jump over the big areas with aluminum corners.  Like at the main hinges from floor to door-ramp. 

Easy to cut and just screw it on or use roofing nails.  Works great.

Scott

2 hours ago, AC+YA said:

Hi Greg,

Sled looks great and they are so quiet and smooth! 

Get a sheet of plastic lattice and cut what you need to go before and after the hinge and you can put it down on all the floor to make it easy to load and slide sleds around.  It is good for grip too compare to a slippery frozen sheet of wood. 

I also have put the plastic joint material (found where you get the lattice) down to help the skis jump over the big areas with aluminum corners.  Like at the main hinges from floor to door-ramp. 

Easy to cut and just screw it on or use roofing nails.  Works great.

Scott

Thanks Scott and everyone giving me suggestions for this

When I close that ramp it has to lay flat against the wood or the door will not close

Will have to check it out better to see exactly what we can do 

lots of help here with suggestions

Greg

23 minutes ago, zrtkat said:

Thanks Scott and everyone giving me suggestions for this

When I close that ramp it has to lay flat against the wood or the door will not close

Will have to check it out better to see exactly what we can do 

lots of help here with suggestions

Greg

Try going into the trailer with the ramp door closed and see if you can raise the flap to a slight angle. Mine is at a small angle and it accommodates the ski guides as I described. I haven't measured it but I suspect the angle off vertical from the ramp is about 20 to 30 degrees. This isn't my trailer but similar. The ski guides on the ramp are slightly ahead of the flap hinge and I also have the ski guides and rubber mats on the flip down flap. If you don't use ski guides or something you're going to chew the wood up as well as the hinges.

Capture.JPG

18 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Try going into the trailer with the ramp door closed and see if you can raise the flap to a slight angle. Mine is at a small angle and it accommodates the ski guides as I described. I haven't measured it but I suspect the angle off vertical from the ramp is about 20 to 30 degrees. This isn't my trailer but similar. The ski guides on the ramp are slightly ahead of the flap hinge and I also have the ski guides and rubber mats on the flip down flap. If you don't use ski guides or something you're going to chew the wood up as well as the hinges.

Capture.JPG

02Sled

I am going to go over and see if there is any gap when the door is completely closed to see if there is ant gap in between the flap and door

Thank-You

Greg

After further inspection I looked inside when door is closed and there is a wide gap in between the door so I could put a half a pvc pipe or plastic lattice ,or other objects to guide carbides over the hinge before they are completely destroyed..

Thank-You for all the suggestions ,and helpful Ideas

Hope to see you guys on the trails in February

Zrtkat & Crew will be up and riding for 10 days or so.

Greg,Gary,Scott

trailer door hinges 001.JPG

trailer door hinges 002.JPG

trailer door hinges 003.JPG

It looks like your hangs at an angle just like mine. If you want rubber mats for under the tracks take a look at stall mats at TSC stores. I cut them into 16" wide strips and screwed them down on the floor and the ramp.

How about some strips of "crazy carpet" those tobbogon like things we used kill our selfs on to cover the hinges on your trailer.

Congrats on the sled looks wicked, your going to be blown away, rode mine this past weekend (Sidewinder) and I've got to say it's unbelievable!!! You will definatly be impressed handles perfectly and is FAST!!! 

Archived