Rideable logging roads east of North Bay?

Blake G

I saw on Facebook last night that folks have been riding on some logging roads near Redbridge.

I think I might check that out right now, before it melts.

15202745_1219626931460828_8944796567832211840_n.jpg

That would be the Olrig Road south of Highway 63 and just 500 metres past the entrance to the MNR Fish Hatchery.  Great run all the way across to Sec Hwy 533 if you catch it at right time.  Check it on google or OFSC online map.  The first part is NB308.

my wife and I tried that one year early and I got stuck big time as they generally get more snow than in city.

it is a wide gravel logging road that is plowed for first 5 Kms or so.  Long run, probably 35 Kms one way.

I am not in North Bay anymore so I have absolutely no idea of present conditions.

given temperatures I would say unlikely.

This time of year is your dealers favorite time, tracks, skis, carbides, etc.

I know mine aren't moving.

I left at 930 with my daughter, arrived at 1130, rode about 10 kms in and out, rinse and repeat two more times. I had only one sled, so didn't want to get too far away from my truck and the highway in case of problems. Put on 60 kms.

The conditions were very good. I wish I would have had some buddies there, so we could have safely ventured farther away from the highway. Most of the snow will disappear within the next 48 hours, but soon there will be more. I am really glad to have found out about these logging roads, for early and presumably late season riding.

Special thanks to Melanie Mitchell, whose Facebook posts from last night made me aware of the opportunity, and to bbakernbay, whose post today and in past seasons gave me the necessary detail to find the right spot.

Pics and/or video to follow....

Nice early season ride Blake

That Melanie is pretty nice to share her spots like that, kudos to her for her generosity !  

Glad to see you got some miles on ... Does Emily ride her own sled when you go rides, or is it always 2-up Blake ?  One way or the other, it's great that she goes riding ... good for the soul .....

2 up. She is very tentative when driving a sled, though she does enjoy it. Her cruising speed is 10 mph with occasional surges to 20. To each their own. LOL

I can't wait to go there soon with you Blake...damn I wish I wasn't working yesterday.

18 minutes ago, Nunz said:

I can't wait to go there soon with you Blake...damn I wish I wasn't working yesterday.

work gets in the way of so much fun stuff.  Damn!!!!  BUT its pays for my fun stuff!!!

59 minutes ago, gobills said:

work gets in the way of so much fun stuff.  Damn!!!!  BUT its pays for my fun stuff!!!

I hear ya..I have been working on my schedule with my work partner here at the dealership, looks like I will be getting a ton of time off this winter in exchange for working a few extra shifts in the summer, I have no problem with that at all..lol. Someone needs to chase Blake this winter..hahahahaha

34 minutes ago, Nunz said:

Someone needs to chase Blake this winter..hahahahaha

Indeed.

Time off will not be an issue for me this winter, more apt to be $$ an issue.

1 hour ago, soupkids said:

Time off will not be an issue for me this winter, more apt to be $$ an issue.

Kids can live quite well on peanut butter and there are a thousand ways to make Kraft Dinner.... just kidding

On November 28, 2016 at 6:53 PM, Blake G said:

I left at 930 with my daughter, arrived at 1130, rode about 10 kms in and out, rinse and repeat two more times. I had only one sled, so didn't want to get too far away from my truck and the highway in case of problems. Put on 60 kms.

The conditions were very good. I wish I would have had some buddies there, so we could have safely ventured farther away from the highway. Most of the snow will disappear within the next 48 hours, but soon there will be more. I am really glad to have found out about these logging roads, for early and presumably late season riding.

Special thanks to Melanie Mitchell, whose Facebook posts from last night made me aware of the opportunity, and to bbakernbay, whose post today and in past seasons gave me the necessary detail to find the right spot.

Pics and/or video to follow....

Damm, were you there Saturday or Sunday ? I was there both days, I don't beilieve we ever met but it would of been good to ride with someone for sure.

Hi Pstn head.

I first heard about the place on Sunday evening, then rode there Monday morning.

Yes, it would have been excellent to ride with you. I see you're in Muskoka, so it should be easy enough to arrange in the future!!

On 11/29/2016 at 7:21 AM, Blake G said:

2 up. She is very tentative when driving a sled, though she does enjoy it. Her cruising speed is 10 mph with occasional surges to 20. To each their own. LOL

Too fast for me and Slomo !

The thrill of it all.

Hahaha words out now! The east end is plowed right now as loggers are using it

there are a few more spots around for early season riding east of north bay... 

My last ride was April 14th last year ...

28 minutes ago, lucrestyle said:

Hahaha words out now!

there are a few more spots around for early season riding east of north bay... 

fish.jpg

On November 30, 2016 at 8:35 PM, Blake G said:

Hi Pstn head.

I first heard about the place on Sunday evening, then rode there Monday morning.

Yes, it would have been excellent to ride with you. I see you're in Muskoka, so it should be easy enough to arrange in the future!!

Ya for sure Blake G 

Archived