Etiquette Question

4mysled

Here is a tough question, if you are on a saddle bag trip and during your trip the weather changes and the trails are closed in order to maintain the base, Do you then "tresspass" to get back to your starting point? I would love to say that you can wait it out, however we sometimes need to get back to our families and or  work. You do your best to check the weather well in advance, however we know how accruate that can be. So what would you do?

Phone C.A.A., have them meet you at a road with one of their 'platform' recovery vehicles -

post-19713-0-05573300-1455723818_thumb.j

get the sleds up on the platform, and then the truck brings you and your gang back to the road closest to the open trail and/or your original point. You can sit on the sleds as you are being driven there, so technically you are still riding.

If the weather changes and leaveS you stuck out there, it really sucks, but trespassing should not be one of the options you use for getting home. If a trail is closed, stay off it for everything but a true life or death emergency.

Or, arrange a ride to take you to your trucks/trailers so you can drive them back and pick up your sleds. Sad way to end the trip but there may be more than a few in that predicament this weekend with the weather forecast as it is.

Our 2nd RAP tour we had to get rescued due to weather.

Well

I wouldn't say it like that. Some trails around here were still red on the map after the snowstorm. I wouldn't hesitate if I am on a trip.

I imagine the intent of the conversation is different. There is red on the ITG which means it is a trail but is currently unavailable. That would likely be in most cases from a safety perspective and just not in a condition safe to ride. I suspect the question being posed in this conversation is regarding riding a trail and coming upon an actual sign with the word closed on it and / or a barrier such as a gate indicating the trail is closed. To me a sign saying closed would indicate it is simply closed and not somewhere to be ridiing.

It is my understanding that trails in red on the ITG are not only "unavailable" but closed. It does not require a physical gate to barricade the trail or a sign to confirm it is closed. While some clubs hang closed signs when their trails are not open a lot of clubs do not. The ITG takes precedence over anything clubs may have on their Facebook or Web sites. The local police here will charge people with trespassing if the ITG shows red.

You seem to be assuming here that everyone owns a smart phone and has the ITG on it which is not the case.  When the map turns red and where you are on the trail are different things.  You may not know it's closed until you get your hands on a computer at a motel after the day or after the trip.  I certainly do not pack a notebook or my wifes tablet in my saddle bags and I do not have a smart phone because I am a cheap bast#@%d.  My old company supplied flip phone works great for what it was made for.  Phone calls.

BP

You seem to be assuming here that everyone owns a smart phone and has the ITG on it which is not the case.  When the map turns red and where you are on the trail are different things.  You may not know it's closed until you get your hands on a computer at a motel after the day or after the trip.  I certainly do not pack a notebook or my wifes tablet in my saddle bags and I do not have a smart phone because I am a cheap bast#@%d.  My old company supplied flip phone works great for what it was made for.  Phone calls.

BP

I would agree 100%, if you are going to close a trail then you should put up a closed sign.  If they close a highway they don't just put online that it's closed, they put up road closed signs on the roads.  We used to rent cottages up north for snowmobiling and until the last few years, we had no access to a computer or the internet.

Maybe not feasible with current levels of volunteerism.

BP

I'm not assuming anything. It is up to the rider to make sure they are riding on open trails. How they do that is up to them. There are lots of options i.e. computers at the nightly hotel, cell phone, calling mom etc. Our club has made flip signs so showing trails as closed is minimum work but it still involves an hour or 2 to flip them. A lot of clubs don't bother. It is unreasonable to ask volunteers to do extra work just because somebody is too lazy to check the trail status themselves. The ITG as the "master" is part of the risk management system. Everyone has a common place to check trail status. It may not be a perfect system but it is functional.

So, you go for a ride. Lets say your planning on going north for two or three hours and then turn around and head back the same way. While you were heading north, the trail you are rideing on goes red before you reach your destination and head back. I don't have a phone with the internet, so your saying i should phone home or find a computer somewhere or flag somebody down and check the status of the trail on the ITG before heading back.

I'm not assuming anything. It is up to the rider to make sure they are riding on open trails. How they do that is up to them. There are lots of options i.e. computers at the nightly hotel, cell phone, calling mom etc. Our club has made flip signs so showing trails as closed is minimum work but it still involves an hour or 2 to flip them. A lot of clubs don't bother. It is unreasonable to ask volunteers to do extra work just because somebody is too lazy to check the trail status themselves. The ITG as the "master" is part of the risk management system. Everyone has a common place to check trail status. It may not be a perfect system but it is functional.

So I'm a lucky one with a smart phone. But just to be clear,when I'm out for a ride at what frequency should I confirm the trail status? Once an hour, once every 1/2 hour? I want to follow the proper etiquette. Obviously checking at the end of the day doesn't work. You could have been riding on closed trails for the last 1/2 hour.

I trust all you hard core followers of rules to the nth degree never exceed the posted trail speed limit!

You can't always believe the ITG anyway , yesterday I printed the guild for the area I was going and off I went . Then to my surprise a trail marked yellow is closed due to a closed gate I had to turn around . So that guild is not 100% accurate all the time . 

So I'm a lucky one with a smart phone. But just to be clear,when I'm out for a ride at what frequency should I confirm the trail status? Once an hour, once every 1/2 hour? I want to follow the proper etiquette. Obviously checking at the end of the day doesn't work. You could have been riding on closed trails for the last 1/2 hour.

I trust all you hard core followers of rules to the nth degree never exceed the posted trail speed limit!

You can check it as often as you need to feel comfortable. I was just explaining the rules as I know them. You can like them or not, follow them or not. I really don't care. If you get charged for trespassing or speeding you have no reason to whine, just suck it up and take responsibility . It's a decision you made knowing the consequences. Remember, I believe your insurance is void on closed trails in the event of an incident.

You can check it as often as you need to feel comfortable. I was just explaining the rules as I know them. You can like them or not, follow them or not. I really don't care. If you get charged for trespassing or speeding you have no reason to whine, just suck it up and take responsibility . It's a decision you made knowing the consequences. Remember, I believe your insurance is void on closed trails in the event of an incident.

I'm sure you follow all the rules. Never been over 50 kph have you.

I'm sure you follow all the rules. Never been over 50 kph have you.

I never said I follow all the rules. I do respect closed trails. The club has them closed for a reason. Trespassing possibly puts that closed trail in jeopardy. Maybe you should try going out to kiss a landowner’s butt to keep a trail open after sleds have been where they shouldn't be. This includes winter wheat and alfalfa fields that don't have enough snow to prevent damage. There is no reason to make the club volunteers life any more difficult than it already is.

I'm not saying i would knowingly ride on closed trails. Just pointing out that if you are out rideing, and a trail that was limited earlier in the day, goes red while you are still out, how are you supposed to know that. Like XTC said, are you supposed to check the ITG on your smart phone, if you have one, every half hour to see the trail status.

I don't have a smart phone, so I don't have the ITG with me.  If I did, I would have to mount it on my handlebar to keep in touch just like the school girls do when they are walking down the street.  I also can't call my Mommy.  She has been dead since 1968.

I grew up on a farm and know all about riding on wheat fields or new seeding and feel pretty bad seeing people go on those trails at the end of the season.  Also when I see a Stay Off Wheat Field, for some reason that is the field that has all the tracks all over it.  Maybe those signs should disappear so the idiots don't know where they should not ride.  I just seen an example on Sunday.

If the snow is so light and the land is seeded, then maybe the ITG should not be yellow in the first place.

BP

recently I rode a trail that showed green,it was a single path.we had to lift a tree to get under,jump over creeks...etc..I expected no apology or explanation,it was a oversight,error whatever.think rider stuck with no up to date info on trails should get same break.

physical closure of trail is a must.in off season gates are closed,blockades put in place,fencing etc & still people get around....can't expect 1 ft square sign to deter pumped up sledder in lousy season not to try their luck..(.back in the day.3rd guy thru wouldn't have seen sign at all due to snow blown over it) ..has to be some kinda barrier,small trees across,ton of tape,sawhorse. trees dropped (sou[pkids)

not all riders are our age & respect the rules...know how much is at stake....know how fragile the whole system is

education (as usual) is only answer

-educate landowners on bill 100,pay for dinner at local community centers & hold seminars...without them were roadrunners

-educate under 16 license recipients about trail preservation & trespassing consequences to sport

-educate every ofsc member of what is expected of them

-don't trespass

- stay on trail

-sober

-don't critize volunteers or clubs

-educate local governments on impact snowmobiling has on local economies in winter months

-educate me to know when"booze talkin now" is activated

-educate me on spelling so I don.t have to google every word over 2(hold on)syllables

enuff bout learning...next

I love you guys...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I never said I follow all the rules. I do respect closed trails. The club has them closed for a reason. Trespassing possibly puts that closed trail in jeopardy. Maybe you should try going out to kiss a landowner’s butt to keep a trail open after sleds have been where they shouldn't be. This includes winter wheat and alfalfa fields that don't have enough snow to prevent damage. There is no reason to make the club volunteers life any more difficult than it already is.

100%...cost all clubs...not just if farmer is going to claim crop damage,its tryin to contain damage & renewal...who doesn't want to blow thru untouched fields....

recently I rode a trail that showed green,it was a single path.we had to lift a tree to get under,jump over creeks...etc..I expected no apology or explanation,it was a oversight,error whatever.think rider stuck with no up to date info on trails should get same break.

physical closure of trail is a must.in off season gates are closed,blockades put in place,fencing etc & still people get around....can't expect 1 ft square sign to deter pumped up sledder in lousy season not to try their luck..(.back in the day.3rd guy thru wouldn't have seen sign at all due to snow blown over it) ..has to be some kinda barrier,small trees across,ton of tape,sawhorse. trees dropped (sou[pkids)

not all riders are our age & respect the rules...know how much is at stake....know how fragile the whole system is

education (as usual) is only answer

-educate landowners on bill 100,pay for dinner at local community centers & hold seminars...without them were roadrunners

-educate under 16 license recipients about trail preservation & trespassing consequences to sport

-educate every ofsc member of what is expected of them

-don't trespass

- stay on trail

-sober

-don't critize volunteers or clubs

-educate local governments on impact snowmobiling has on local economies in winter months

-educate me to know when"booze talkin now" is activated

-educate me on spelling so I don.t have to google every word over 2(hold on)syllables

enuff bout learning...next

I love you guys...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Priceless and right on the money.

Archived