The End of S.T.O.P. - It's Official

Claire Voyant

Received a registered letter in the mail today from the Commissioner of the O.P.P. Read for yourselves.

post-23640-0-30987700-1455213815_thumb.jpg

post-23640-0-96587000-1455216183_thumb.jpeg

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WTF? So let me get this straight...so now there will be ZERO enforcement on the trail?  Really???  We need more enforcement, not ZERO!

On another note, sorry to hear about your Special Constable role being terminated.  What a tough pill to swallow that would be... did you know this was coming?  First I've heard of it...

WTF? So let me get this straight...so now there will be ZERO enforcement on the trail?  Really???  We need more enforcement, not ZERO!

On another note, sorry to hear about your Special Constable role being terminated.  What a tough pill to swallow that would be... did you know this was coming?  First I've heard of it...

We knew something was in the wind...apparently the OPP was re-examining ALL of their unpaid "auxiliary" members. It was not just STOP. The OFSC knew this was happening, and I believe they are hoping that the O.P.P. has seen the need for more officers on the trails and that the "new" Trail Patrol program will be sufficient deterrent.

Makes me wonder what the Province / OPP have in mind for us. More real cops on the snow ? Looking back at all the rate hikes for policing costs to all Ontario communities recently, maybe they will assess more fees from OFSC for extra enforcement, driving uppermit fees in the process ?

We were stopped twice by the OPP last Saturday.  In all honesty, I don't think they were eyeing up our Trail Passes.  Their focus was Driver's License, Ownership, Insurance and Sled Tag

Sorry to hear about the loss of S.T.O.P.  This will obviously lead to more free-loading on the trails and increased recklessness.

Opp looking to justify operating cost increases dont have to pay for volunteers

Makes me wonder what the Province / OPP have in mind for us. More real cops on the snow ? Looking back at all the rate hikes for policing costs to all Ontario communities recently, maybe they will assess more fees from OFSC for extra enforcement, driving uppermit fees in the process ?

Sounds plausible.....townships in my neighbourhood considered, then rejected, the idea of their own police forces when OPP raised the rates. If more 'regular' police are required taking place of the volunteers, it becomes part of an OPP justification for higher rates.

I never heard anything other than the OPP being considered, but maybe the townships should have approached the Mounties for a bid?

I have been out twice on the rail trail from Lindsay to Haliburton. Both times i was stopped by the O.P.P. All of last winter i never ran into a cop once. Don't know if that means there are more cops on trails this year or just a lot less trails to cover.

Stopped for the first time last week just coming out of Cochrane on the hydro field.  Saw him from a fair distance, but definitely speeding until then.  Thought I'd get a ticket, but turned out to be the nicest cop I've met on the trails.  Only checking for trail permits, didn't ask for anything else and chatted for a few minutes before wishing us a nice trip. 

Even though STOP is volunteer based, probably still costs a lot to administer and then revenue for tickets goes to the township do they not?  Better in my opinion to raise the fines for riding without a permit or insurance as a deterrent. 

Never saw STOP in North Bay Area and only around French River.

I will repeat again, the OPP can't have the presence on the trails that we need, especially north of Highway 17, see Luc's post of a week ago.

The Ontario Government needs to help organized snowmobiling by:

1. Minimum fine is $550, just as PEI just did.

2. Follow the Quebec example of empowered Trail Patrol and active police presence.

3. Amend MSVAct to provide ticket goes against Sled Owner, rather than Operator, which negates having to identify the culprit in Court. Just like parking ticket, ETR407 or red light camera.

4. Like the Quebec clubs, empower trained Trail Patriollers to gather the prescribed information and photos on trail of the offending sled, submit the Form to local QPP who then mails out a Ticket.

5. Pay TP's lost wages in those rare instances where they are called to Court which they do in Quebec.

6. Possibly impound sled for repeat violations.

Really, is this so difficult to achieve?

I have emailed our local MPP after Luc's incident of encountering 10 of 20 sleds without TP on groomed and signed Dub trails. He said he will follow up at Queens Park.

Every Club President or Volunteer should do the same, 5 minutes max, do it.

I am very disappointed in our OFSC for watering down Trail Patrol to Ambassadors and not being successful lobbying the Wynne government to help organized snowmobiling by a few amendments to various Acts.

If we don't get some action soon we need to bring plenty of Motions at next AGM to get point across and get some action.

Brian Baker

NBSC President

Never saw STOP in North Bay Area and only around French River.

I will repeat again, the OPP can't have the presence on the trails that we need, especially north of Highway 17, see Luc's post of a week ago.

The Ontario Government needs to help organized snowmobiling by:

1. Minimum fine is $550, just as PEI just did.

2. Follow the Quebec example of empowered Trail Patrol and active police presence.

3. Amend MVSA to provide ticket goes against Sled Owner, rather than Operator, which negates having to identify the culprit in Court. Just like parking ticket, ETR407 or red light camera.

4. Like the Quebec clubs, empower trained Trail Patriollers to gather the prescribed information and photos on trail of the offending sled, submit the Form to local QPP who then mails out a Ticket.

5. Pay TP's lost wages in those rare instances where they are called to Court which they do in Quebec.

6. Possibly impound sled for repeat violations.

Really, is this so difficult to achieve?

I have emailed our local MPP after Luc's incident of encountering 10 of 20 sleds without TP on groomed and signed Dub trails. He said he will follow up at Queens Park.

Every Club President or Volunteer should do the same, 5 minutes max, do it.

I am very disappointed in our OFSC for watering down Trail Patrol to Ambassadors and not being successful lobbying the Wynne government to help organized snowmobiling by a few amendments to various Acts.

If we don't get some action soon we need to bring plenty of Motions at next AGM to get point across and get some action.

Brian Baker

NBSC President

We'd be glad to spare one of the three OPP teams we see on a regular basis on the trails in this area Brian...Petawawa, Killaloe, plus we are treated to regular visits by the SAVE team...which I understood was created to provide enforcement in areas that don't have OPP, yet they are stuck here.

Have any of you ever seen a stop officer without a real cop being there. I have not, and it was not putting more enforcement on the trails, just more people at the same area all bunched together.

I have. Got a ticket from a group of 3 last year. Not to mention a lecture about doing a whopping 100kmh on a railbed. Clueless and a bad attitude

The OPP SAVE make regular appearances in North Bay Area.

I was alone on the 1996 Toring E LT 380 southbound on AD and I had a pleasant experience but of course the Trail Patrol vest may have been a factor.

I hear that some OPP will lay a charge for no Trail Permit based upon creditable evidence from a Trail Patroller.

I was previously told by very experienced OPP Snowmobile officer (not SAVE) that they would only consider laying a charge if the offending Operator had removed his helmet so that the TP could positively identify the Operator in Court if required to do so.

Others have advised me that some OPP will issue a ticket without that ID stipulation.

What is your experience?

Nevertheless, we need help to stem this Freeloading crisis and it will only get worse.

I agree , the problem is no matter what you do, you will never get all the free loaders. The sled owner should responsible. Impound or seize the sled and a Drivers licence for 30 days a permit fees would soon be paid. I agree just like the 407 does.

Wonder how much $$$$ that cost us....lol

In our area, when I was doing training for STOP, we were out with STOP and TP, and also joined a couple of times by YRP and DRP (depending on jurisdiction).  So, yes, I have seen STOP out without OPP.

I expected that this was in the works, as after completing my training, nothing moved forward.  So much for that plank from FFC!

Remember when FFC can't go forward without all four planks????

Welcome to Nova Scotia!

I have been out twice on the rail trail from Lindsay to Haliburton. Both times i was stopped by the O.P.P. All of last winter i never ran into a cop once. Don't know if that means there are more cops on trails this year or just a lot less trails to cover.

Probably the latter.

Archived