Charging for maps?

schmied

Stopped for lunch and gas and noticed a sign that said "Trail Maps Available"   Since I was using a black and white printout from the ITG, I thought I'd upgrade.  The friendly gas pump attendant told me I could look at one for free or buy one for a dollar.  Just wondering if this is common practice as I've never paid for one before or if it's either fundraising for the club or fundraising for the guy behind the counter. The $1 isn't going to break the bank, no worries there, just wondered if there are any guidelines or rules about the maps.

I paid for maps in the 80's. Not recently.

Don't think the Vendor pays for them so .....

Only time you should be paying for a map is when postage is involved.

Maps should be free, if you choose to make a Donation that should be left up to you.....

Sounds like someone is looking for coffee money.

I say contact the club directly and find out for sure. Maybe that attendant is pocketing that cash for himself.

Or just joking.

Sounds like someone is trying to make some coffee money..

Haliburton Club pays for the production of our maps with advertising sponsorship.  All of our sponsors have maps to give out for free.  While at one of our sponsors, please thank them.

Two or three winters ago, in late march or very early April, I got a local trail map from the convenience store beside Rickward's Polaris in Kearney. The clerk told me the trail maps were normally sold for two bucks, but she wasn't going to charge me because the season was over.

The next winter I got an updated map from the same place, and I believe it was free.

It all seemed pretty legitimate to me. I think I was told that the club charged a small fee in the past, but had decided not to bother any more.

Always been free anywhere I picked them up

X2

I am a snowmobiler who happens to own a restaurant on the trail. Someone from the club usually drops off a bundle every winter no charge ever.

I though there was a time when a donation jar was put out and a $2 donation was asked for. I believe some of the order maps had a price on them. 

Archived