someone plowed Kashagawigamog lake

livin' on the b103

Thought I better put something up to warn any riders in the area, rode this Tuesday and saw it plowed from our stake line on the Wigamog to the other side. Called the caretaker there and he didn't know who was doing it but will watch for us. There are two problems, One it starts at the stake line off the road and heads straight across, our stake line veers right. Two if you hit it at speed it is like hitting a pressure crack. The police are aware and it will be marked ASAP. ride safe

LIVIN'

maybe building contractor , clowns do it here on lk muskoka all the time 

plowing a track for sleds, or bikes maybe? Ski

Last winter there was a winter road across Jack's Lake as well. Not sure about this winter. Haven't been down that way yet.

When I use to live in Brighton the town would do it for skating out on the bay and for fish hut access. Could simply be something like this, and a lack of communication from the club with the township on where the trail crosses the lake.

Not everyone knows what those 8 foot high red stakes are for.

Oh no, for sure not a lack of communication with the town. I spoke to the guilty party shortly after posting this and advised of the liability to himself. He advised he plowed it to use as a short cut across the lake instead of driving around!! Will follow up to see if it has been stopped and repaired, but for now use caution.

LIVIN'

Um. It's a lake on Crown Land. Anybody can plough it if they want. OFSC clubs do not have exclusive rights to making trails on crown land, nor waters. How is it different than if somebody decides to plough open a road on Crown land? Put a stop sign or some other warning up at the crossing. Heck. People plough ice roads all the time around here. There is no law against it.

Um. It's a lake on Crown Land. Anybody can plough it if they want. OFSC clubs do not have exclusive rights to making trails on crown land, nor waters. How is it different than if somebody decides to plough open a road on Crown land? Put a stop sign or some other warning up at the crossing. Heck. People plough ice roads all the time around here. There is no law against it.

May be no law against it, but he can be held responsible in event of an accident caused by it. 

My BIL got really busted up 10 years ago hitting an "unseen" plowed road on Simcoe. Broken legs, trauma, major loss of blood...it was bad. He later sued the guy who plowed the road, and won. 

Just shows courts are stupid.

KNOW BEFORE YOU GO

DO NOT OPEN YOUR SLED UP NOT KNOWING WHERE YOU ARE GOING JUST LIKE RIDING UNSAFE ICE

KNOW BEFORE YOU GO

DO NOT OPEN YOUR SLED UP NOT KNOWING WHERE YOU ARE GOING JUST LIKE RIDING UNSAFE ICE

Exactly!

Or if you create a hazard mark it properly 

Exactly!

Wildbill will know this location:

Back in the 90s during a boys weekend, we were heading north of Parry Sound Sunday morning. We came to Portage Lake (behind the Nobel ESSO). Across the lake we could see where TOP C continued north. A couple of the guys needed gas, so we rode to the gas station @ a conservative rate. They filled up & came back down on the lake. The lake was smooth & hard packed. We decided to open it it up for the run down the lake. I was the 2nd sled in line & as we got towards the east end I backed off & 1 of my buddies passed me. The next thing I know is the lead sled going airborne. I braked as much as I could w/o locking up the brakes. The 2nd rider came off his sled when he hit the "obstacle". I braced for the impact & when I did hit it, I thought I was going to go over the bars.

I went flying past the tumbling sledder only to see his sled rear end the lead rider's sled. I got my sled stopped & ran back to the fallen sledder. Other that having the wind knocked out he was OK. The lead sled suffered a cracked heat exchanger so we were done for the day (towed him back to the motel). 

A group of sledders that had been stopped on the north side of the lake by TOP C came over to see if we were OK. The obstacle we hit was the backside of a packed snowpile that had been created by someone when they plowed a small oval on the lake. There was no markings. All of us got some boughs from the shoreline & tried to mark the bank.

Ever since then I've been very leery of running lakes @ speed.

KNOW BEFORE YOU GO

What's with that setup in the video? Looks like it was a radar run and dude didn't bother to slow down at the end.. got some wild airtime however hope he was ok after all of it.

Exactly!

Wildbill will know this location:

Back in the 90s during a boys weekend, we were heading north of Parry Sound Sunday morning. We came to Portage Lake (behind the Nobel ESSO). Across the lake we could see where TOP C continued north. A couple of the guys needed gas, so we rode to the gas station @ a conservative rate. They filled up & came back down on the lake. The lake was smooth & hard packed. We decided to open it it up for the run down the lake. I was the 2nd sled in line & as we got towards the east end I backed off & 1 of my buddies passed me. The next thing I know is the lead sled going airborne. I braked as much as I could w/o locking up the brakes. The 2nd rider came off his sled when he hit the "obstacle". I braced for the impact & when I did hit it, I thought I was going to go over the bars.

I went flying past the tumbling sledder only to see his sled rear end the lead rider's sled. I got my sled stopped & ran back to the fallen sledder. Other that having the wind knocked out he was OK. The lead sled suffered a cracked heat exchanger so we were done for the day (towed him back to the motel). 

A group of sledders that had been stopped on the north side of the lake by TOP C came over to see if we were OK. The obstacle we hit was the backside of a packed snowpile that had been created by someone when they plowed a small oval on the lake. There was no markings. All of us got some boughs from the shoreline & tried to mark the bank.

Ever since then I've been very leery of running lakes @ speed.

I know that guy that did that 

What's with that setup in the video? Looks like it was a radar run and dude didn't bother to slow down at the end.. got some wild airtime however hope he was ok after all of it.

basically he went down the radar strip and kept going

Flat light not knowing the course and there was a snowbank way at the end

Most people let off the throttle wonce past a certain point but this fellow appears to have kept going

Or if you create a hazard mark it properly 

Many lakes are plowed in Sudbury aree all the time to the ice huts and never marked, you just gotta know before you go full out

basically he went down the radar strip and kept going

Flat light not knowing the course and there was a snowbank way at the end

Most people let off the throttle wonce past a certain point but this fellow appears to have kept going

betcha he will not do that twice 

Down on Jack's Lake today. No ice road south of the narrows, but there is an ice road east of the landing across Brooks' Bay.

Last winter there was a winter road across Jack's Lake as well. Not sure about this winter. Haven't been down that way yet.

Was across Jacks on Saturday and there is a road plowed out on the lake. The trail iacross the lake is still marked as CLOSED though.

Was across Jacks on Saturday and there is a road plowed out on the lake. The trail iacross the lake is still marked as CLOSED though.

708 is green this morning.

Just shows courts are stupid.

In this case the person who creates a danger should be held liable.  If you plow the lake knowing that others also have the right to use it, then mark the dam thing.

I am so friggin tired of the idiots driving on the Lake trail on our lake.  Its dangerous and they take the beaten path for there own benefit.  What happened to mutual respect??

I also read a post on a fishing forum indicating that the ice fishing was better on the snowmobile trail.  So we get ice huts right on the trail.  No, that's not dangerous at all..... :angry-smiley-005:

So we get ice huts right on the trail.  No, that's not dangerous at all..... :angry-smiley-005:

Especially when their 377 Safari breaks down towing their hut.

Especially when their 377 Safari breaks down towing their hut.

We had one last year right on the edge of the trail with no markings or reflective.  Scary at night....

Archived