Shelburne to Dundalk trails suck !

gpshddan

Totally disagree with this being the free weekend!!!  Cmon OFSC!!!!!! It should be next weekend or the one that just passed.  You get every wahoo and their brother tearing the crap out of the trails because its free for them.  

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have stated previously that if we do the freeloader thing then put it the same weekend as Quebec. That way in both provinces there is the hope people will still buy some sort of permit before the end of winter and not get 2 weekends for free.  But I also have said that the provincial grant $ is from the ministry of tourism and that is why the OFSC wants it on the holiday weekend.

Totally disagree with this being the free weekend!!!  Cmon OFSC!!!!!! It should be next weekend or the one that just passed.  You get every wahoo and their brother tearing the crap out of the trails because its free for them.  

this has what to do with Shelburne and Dundalk trails?

Just because someone doesnt volunteer doesnt mean that cant have an opinion.

He bought his permit and as such entitles him to bitching.

I have to agree.  I'm not offended as a volunteer.  Some clubs do pull off better trails than others.  There maybe some issues that are unknown, however selling trail permits does have its responsibilities also.

If the club has a groomer down, or has a difficult section of trail etc, communication is the key! 

The OP has provided feedback.  He appeared to try and be somewhat sensitive to the volunteers, however text is never the best way to convey a message as its tone is often misunderstood.

P.S.  Volunteering for a club is NOT a requirement to ride.

The person who bitches should be willing to step up to the plate and change what he doesn't like!  This is (one of) the problems with society today, some feel the purchase of a (devalued...) $180 permit gives them the right to insult those that DO step up to the plate and help out.  Lotsa keyboard quarterbacks out there...

That is right, and every volunteer buys a permit, and is entitled to an opinion as well.

I don't care if someone volunteers or not, it is not a requirement. it is best to remember that it costs the volunteer the same to participate in the sport as it does everyone else, and collectively, they provide a province wide system that in many cases costs money from their own pocket. The labor for the construction and maintenance of the system is free, the permit money buys signage and equipment. You can have all the signage and equipment you want, the people that work for free need to be respected, imho. But to each their own. Given the title of the thread, backlash needs to be expected, and I would be disappointed if there was none.

Typically people don't volunteer to be stroked, but they don't volunteer to be treated like a paid employee either. Just something to think about next time a permit buyer wants to rip a club/prez/groomer coordinator/operator a new ass for a trail they deam un maintained or not fit to their permit buying standards.

Opinions are just that, opinions.  Sometimes we need feedback to improve, volunteers or not.  I will tell you, as you have eluded, its costs me and others I volunteer with more than a permit to play.  We are fueling vehicles to get through the trails, Chainsaws, chains, safety gear and more to make this all happen.

If someone comes here with an "opinion", educate them, don't flame them unless they are just downright ignorant. 

I have opinions about trails and I have voiced them.  If everyone knew that the OFSC has no grooming allowance for trails that need to be done with a scandic/groomer, they may understand a clubs resistance to grooming the smaller club trails.  As far as I'm concerned, some of these trails are the best trails in our system.  Scenic, slow trails....but groom the cottage/logging road and get paid. 

So, because of that, the narrow feeder trails are often crap and that is an honest opinion.  Some clubs do an amazing job at grooming these trails.  Why?  Maybe because they can afford it?  Maybe because someone is willing to do it?  Maybe because someone gave an opinion?

Snowcrest trail 4 was amazing last Sunday.  The nicest I have ever seen that trail.  It has previously been a crappy/back breaking trail to ride because of the lack of grooming and the inability to run it with a commercial groomer. 

I have stated previously that if we do the freeloader thing then put it the same weekend as Quebec. That way in both provinces there is the hope people will still buy some sort of permit before the end of winter and not get 2 weekends for free.  But I also have said that the provincial grant $ is from the ministry of tourism and that is why the OFSC wants it on the holiday weekend.

There were two separate motions on the floor of the AGM to change the date of the free weekend and both were defeated by the membership by a resounding majority.

Ughhhh, I think I rode the OP's trails today, except in my own area. LOL!! Thank god for Robaxacet and Advil.

We found it strange a main trail which runs a long ways. (E105 or 115, can't remember exactly without looking at the map) the west end hasn't seen a groomer since before last weekend, not hard to tell because we had strong drifting winds here Saturday and Sunday and they are still there but there not as light and fluffy as they appear.

Oh well, it's my first ride and glad to do just that.

Since I started this I figured I should chime in again, as I had previously mentioned I do not volunteer. Wish I could and have actually considered it but unfortunately time doesn't allow as I am self employed with a business to manage and that has got take priority over many things. I must say that my opinion is just that.... Mine. I do not wish to insult any volunteer, my hat is off to them for using their own personel itme for the cause. The point I am trying to make is that when all people buy a permit it is to ride on managed trails. The entire premis of the club is just for that, to "manage" the trails. Why is it when a person voices there opinion a lot and almost all replies mention that they feel they are saying " I pay for a permit get out and groom" that is not what I am saying. As I also mentioned I do not expect table top all the time, I get that there conditions out of anyone's control, but what I do expect is a properly managed trail when the snow allows, which I do not think is asking a lot. I have been fortunate enough to ride in most parts of Ontario, different provinces and the US and I can say that southern Ontario has got some great trails but they could also take a lesson from some other areas. Again this was never meant to bash any individuals, just my right to post an opinion.

I wondered today as I was bouncing around at 20kms an hour if clubs are geared more towards weekend riders vs mid week. I know it probably varies from club to club. But there are a lot of people, a lot of couples even that take advantage of the non warrior weekend moments to enjoy the trails during the week. I can't imagine them enjoying the non groomed midweek trails that much.

Generally around my area it's a thursday or Friday run. This is actually the 2nd year in a row I've been able to ride around here. Last year was like the first in 10 years I have rode local without trailering North. But there is still no comparison to the awsome north, the scenery and trail quality is sooooo much nicer up there!! Sorry if I got off topic slightly on OP's post.

Archived