Daughters new ride

ontariof7

Great sled....OF7 BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!

she is 13. It is not an easy decision to find a sled and let them go on their own.

Nice sled for the little girl! I bought my daughter a jag when she was 11 got her going on the lakes and then she got her ticket to ride and was on the trails the last two seasons with it. My biggest fear was her keeping to the right, and it turns out that she does that all the time, rides with caution and I now have no worries. Girls are more likely to ride safe just ride at the pace she wants, and let her follow with another sled behind her. You are going to have a great winter riding with her. 

post-20305-0-36517200-1419903792_thumb.jpg

Nice sled for the little girl! I bought my daughter a jag when she was 11 got her going on the lakes and then she got her ticket to ride and was on the trails the last two seasons with it. My biggest fear was her keeping to the right, and it turns out that she does that all the time, rides with caution and I now have no worries. Girls are more likely to ride safe just ride at the pace she wants, and let her follow with another sled behind her. You are going to have a great winter riding with her. 

attachicon.gif115_zpsdd503973.jpg

Thanks zoo for the words of encouragement, I sure hope my daughter is as safe as yours. I do trust her, just some other riders I fear.

Great sled....OF7 BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!

That is way too funny. Took the ovation for a short ride today, guess what I was wearing?

a helmet and your birthday suit? (well it is pefferlaw)

OF7 likes to stand up when he rides......what a site that would have been...short ride for sure its -8 ....last year he wasnt wearing even a helmet

post-21237-0-35840600-1420123258_thumb.jpg 

An Ovation !? I thought you liked the kid! Just kidding have fun 

Now that's funny. 

Wishing her miles and miles of smiles.

Thanks zoo for the words of encouragement, I sure hope my daughter is as safe as yours. I do trust her, just some other riders I fear.

Just do not let her lead. I made that mistake last year. We were close to home on the trail we ride most of the time when leaving the house(we can go in four directions from home) so she knew the trail well. I put her on the lead as she wanted to be there. Just as we got out of town, going about 55kmh, on a straight section of trail in the bush, a moose jumped out of the bush on to the trail and crossed it. She reacted quickly, steered the sled just off trail close to the trees and this move allowed the moose to miss hitting her and leap over the back end of the sled. It was close, and it was surreal, like watching in slow motion as it happened. I was very proud as to how she handled the sled, but at the same time asking myself why I had allowed her to lead. You are far less likely to have her get into trouble if you ride a nice easy pace, keep her behind you and if you have a third to ride sweep even better. Put mirrors on the sled if you do not have any, but not on hers.I want my kid to worry about what is in front of her not behind her. let her pick the pace at which she wants to ride, but put a limit on top speed by asking her not to exceed what you feel comfortable with. I think you will find, being a girl she will listen to the restricted speed. over the two years of Elisabeth riding on trail I have raised that speed on lakes and slightly on the trail as her comfort level and skill set allow for a safe ride at a slightly elevated pace. 

One more thing. Pack snakes that are fun to eat trail side. I have brought a thermos of hot chocolate, milk and cookies, nuts make a great snake as well. Stop often, let her enjoy the area you stop in like walking in the deep snow off trail, building a snow man, whatever she is into. Riding with a little girl is not all about just riding, it is about keeping her interested all day, and making sure you guys have a great fun time. Elisabeth's first year on the trails we made trips as short as 50km and as longs as 400km, did a father daughter saddlebag last year and have been having a blast riding together. 

Have a safe and happy season enjoying the company of your daughter!

One more thing. Pack snakes that are fun to eat trail side. I have brought a thermos of hot chocolate, milk and cookies, nuts make a great snake as well. Stop often, let her enjoy the area you stop in like walking in the deep snow off trail, building a snow man, whatever she is into. Riding with a little girl is not all about just riding, it is about keeping her interested all day, and making sure you guys have a great fun time. Elisabeth's first year on the trails we made trips as short as 50km and as longs as 400km, did a father daughter saddlebag last year and have been having a blast riding together. 

Have a safe and happy season enjoying the company of your daughter!

Great approach, Zoso. I agree with everything you said, except for the bit about snakes. LOL

All kidding aside, what would be the best brand of thermos? An actual "thermos" or does someone else make a better product?

Snake, tastes just like chicken and makes for a great trail side snack.. :icon_snow:

I would think any all steel thermos would be the best over plastic or glass if you are going to bring it along on a sled ride. they also make a great place to put your rye when the little ones are not along for the ride....

Great approach, Zoso. I agree with everything you said, except for the bit about snakes. LOL

Agreed great approach!

I'll agree with all of Zoso's points except I think all sleds should have mirrors as required in Quebec. Be aware of all your surroundings as you never  know when some guy wants to scream by unexpectedly . It's an easy way to keep an eye on the rest of the group to keep from getting separated for what ever reason. The sooner a person learns to use their mirrors the safer they will be when they start driving on the highway.

RW

Snakes! Yikes is all I can say!

Newbie to the site. That is a great sled for a 13 yr old and while scary to think about them riding on their own the memories are worth it. I did a trip last year with my 16 yr old daughter from Gravenhurst to Huntsville overnight and back. We still giggle over some of the fun we had. Enjoy!

Newbie to the site. That is a great sled for a 13 yr old and while scary to think about them riding on their own the memories are worth it. I did a trip last year with my 16 yr old daughter from Gravenhurst to Huntsville overnight and back. We still giggle over some of the fun we had. Enjoy!

Thanks for the encouragement and welcome aboard!

It is great to go riding with your kids. Best investment of time ever time with your family

Congrats !  Those little 340 Yammies are plenty fast for kids of that age, up until 16 years old, then they want more (in general, I was happy riding a 250 Polaris wide open all the time ).  Our son rides our 503 Cheyenne with great confidence, rides as I want him to, is aware of what's and who's around him, great for a 10 year old.

I wouldn't recommend anything bigger than a 500 or 550 fan for a beginner sled, that ovation is EXACTLY what the OEM's should be selling for entry level sleds.  They should all be obliged to sell one model under 400cc specifically for entry level.  Most people I see around Hearst buying a beginner sled is a Renegade or MXz 600 carb, the parents with brains that is.... the rest buy their rich kids Summit 800's, usually before they have their drivers license.

All kidding aside, what would be the best brand of thermos? An actual "thermos" or does someone else make a better product?

Buy a Tim Hortons thermos, for 2 reasons.  1 -- they fill it for free when you buy it, and 2 -- it keeps stuff hot forever.  Last year I went hunting on the Cheyenne in mid december and the coffee was still steaming at days' end, which was prepared the night before, and was strapped to the backrest all day long.

You are exactly right Denis. It's very hard to find an entry level sled for a young person that just got their snowmobile license. Skidoo is moving in the right direction with their 600 ace. It has the ability to set a maximum speed for beginner riders. I let my little guy (12 years old) ride my yamaha venture with me sitting on the back. I can communicate with him and take control of the sled if I need to.

You are exactly right Denis. It's very hard to find an entry level sled for a young person that just got their snowmobile license. Skidoo is moving in the right direction with their 600 ace. It has the ability to set a maximum speed for beginner riders. I let my little guy (12 years old) ride my yamaha venture with me sitting on the back. I can communicate with him and take control of the sled if I need to.

I can't say enough positive about the 600 Ace. Has been great for the last 2 years for our 13 than 14 year daughter. We don't have the learning key. That feature is pretty neat. As to the price...... it is what it is. The way I look at it is it can be an entry level sled and for me it was about 75% sled I need.  Always said, there still is a 2 stoke in the garage but really enjoy riding the 4 stroke.

I personally would never consider buying a new sled with a 2 stroke, with the great options we have in 4-strokes now.  10 years ago you wouldn't be saying the same thing, but they've evolved a lot and are more driveable, and super-economical.

Archived