Helmet Intercoms

sledzz

Gday All,

Wondering what your experiences are with helmet intercoms, good and bad. I had Chatterbox years ago, the early days, and they were more agravation than they were worth with mics freezing up, static, etc. I assume the technology has improved greatly. What brand do you have and would you recommend?

Thank you for any info you can provide. Cheers!

Been using the Sena headsets for a couple of years now. We've been very happy with them and have no complaints. Would definitely recommend the Sena.

I too use Sena, Been using them for the past two seasons.  Work well.  Batteries seem fine all day,  Range not the greatest but good for warning of on coming issues.  

welcome to the forum sledzz

have been running collett platinums for over 10 years. take the time to get them set up right and the work well. Ski

The wife and I use Sena SMH-10 with the boom mics.  Her's is a modular helmet and mine is a full face.  The boom mic tucks in perfectly under the left side and sits right in front of your mouth.  The big dial/ knob (push or turn) is easy to work with gloves and the phone button is easy to hit.

The battery lasts for a full day of riding in bitter cold and when it did run dead on a long Cochrane run (lots of talking), I just plugged the 12VDC charger in and made it last the extra half hour to get back to the hotel.  The wife and I talk a lot on the trail and I particularly like when she forgets it's on and starts to sing.  She likes when I warn her of oncoming yahoos on the wrong side of the trail and nasty bumps ('cause we ride Yamahas).  I like not having to stop to see if she is OK, too cold, needs to stop for a pee, too fast, too slow, etc.

The best part of using these is the great sound quality using the intercom, phone or listening to music.  I can talk on the phone at trail speed and the other person can't tell I'm on my sled. 

You'll have to print the cheat sheet with all the jog dial push codes and tape it to your tank for quick reference on the trail.  Basic function is very quick to learn but if you want to get into more complicated functions like linking to other units, sharing music or phone calls, you need to remember all the click/ hold commands.

One negative thing is the short range, less than one km in the bush.  The good thing about this is when the wife starts to fade out of my ears, I know I'm too far ahead.

If your riding buddies use other brands, go with that as I'm sure all are equally good but can't vouch for the others.  Many good reviews on motorcycle sites.

I bought the set from Royal distributing.

We use Chatterbox's, they work very well with 2 people, 3 people ok, 4 people not so much. No issues even with modular helmets. They do work best with the "push to talk" button which can be a pain,

having  to unplug every time you get off the sled.

We are looking to upgrade and think the U-Clear is going to be our choice.

Bill,  would you mind giving me quote on 3 U-Clear unit's we are looking to connect 6 riders when the kids come out with us.

Thanks Mike

We sell a pile of U-Clear and they work great we use them as well 

We use the U-Clear also.  Great having a bluetooth connection to you device for music, or even to make a phone call when you need to.  Have used Collett, won't even venture there again.

I bought the uclears last year.  The boomless mic was what sold me - it's actually part of the speaker and works very well.  I received 2 phone calls last year while I was riding and my friends couldn't tell I was on a snowmobile at the time.

I bought the uclears last year.  The boomless mic was what sold me - it's actually part of the speaker and works very well.  I received 2 phone calls last year while I was riding and my friends couldn't tell I was on a snowmobile at the time.

I received a couple of calls also.  I can't say it was perfect, but they were shocked to find out I was travelling on my sled at the time.  I didn't get it to answer the phone whilst riding, but it was interesting to try it.  

That's a perfect write up!  I have Sena as well, and the description is bang on!!

The wife and I use Sena SMH-10 with the boom mics.  Her's is a modular helmet and mine is a full face.  The boom mic tucks in perfectly under the left side and sits right in front of your mouth.  The big dial/ knob (push or turn) is easy to work with gloves and the phone button is easy to hit.

The battery lasts for a full day of riding in bitter cold and when it did run dead on a long Cochrane run (lots of talking), I just plugged the 12VDC charger in and made it last the extra half hour to get back to the hotel.  The wife and I talk a lot on the trail and I particularly like when she forgets it's on and starts to sing.  She likes when I warn her of oncoming yahoos on the wrong side of the trail and nasty bumps ('cause we ride Yamahas).  I like not having to stop to see if she is OK, too cold, needs to stop for a pee, too fast, too slow, etc.

The best part of using these is the great sound quality using the intercom, phone or listening to music.  I can talk on the phone at trail speed and the other person can't tell I'm on my sled. 

You'll have to print the cheat sheet with all the jog dial push codes and tape it to your tank for quick reference on the trail.  Basic function is very quick to learn but if you want to get into more complicated functions like linking to other units, sharing music or phone calls, you need to remember all the click/ hold commands.

One negative thing is the short range, less than one km in the bush.  The good thing about this is when the wife starts to fade out of my ears, I know I'm too far ahead.

If your riding buddies use other brands, go with that as I'm sure all are equally good but can't vouch for the others.  Many good reviews on motorcycle sites.

I bought the set from Royal distributing.

mic is built into the earpiece yes they work great

Thanks wasn't sure I thought the mic might be too muffled being back by your ear on a full helmet.  I have read up on these and they seem pretty handy

Going to add your shop to my site for repairs and service :icon_hyper: thanks

Thanks wasn't sure I thought the mic might be too muffled being back by your ear on a full helmet.  I have read up on these and they seem pretty handy

Going to add your shop to my site for repairs and service :icon_hyper: thanks

thank you

do they work well with regular full helmet?  I assume sound is fine I was wondering about the mic

I wear a unwind balaclava.  With that thickness it does cause some muffling, but I can be heard.  THe boom mics have the same issue with the thicker balaclavas.

I wear a unwind balaclava.  With that thickness it does cause some muffling, but I can be heard.  THe boom mics have the same issue with the thicker balaclavas.

That is what I was thinking, I wear an over sized bucket with a hoodie and a unwind with the head cut off.

might seem strange but it works well for me

going to have to check these things out

I've been using the Cardo G4 (now G9) for years on the bike and sled. Full Bluetooth and FM radio as well. The G9 will connected to 8 users now with almost a mile line of sight. You can set them to autoconnect as other uses come and go, plus gives you full voice support to your apple or DROID devices.

Very clear at high speeds and loud environments.

That is what I was thinking, I wear an over sized bucket with a hoodie and a unwind with the head cut off.

might seem strange but it works well for me

going to have to check these things out

I have thought many times of cutting the breathing area out.  The Unwind work well, but could use some modification  :)

Archived