What's it going to take to get some trails around here?

sledderdan

I am located south of Hamilton.  We were chatting about what it would take to get the OFSC to allow us to build a trail system.  We have broke our own trails for years around here (yes a bit of trespassing on most peoples parts however i do have permission from most land owners to ride.)   There are NO official OFSC trails in this area what-so-ever.  

It would be very benificial if we could start a club, establish trails,  and keep the riding organized rather than trespassing all over the place.  It would be very benificial to the land owners, sledders and for local businesses all the way down the peninsula to Niagara region. 

I realize it is a huge venture, however there are so many sledders around here.  It would make things legal, safe and more enjoyable.  We get just the same season as the eastern sections of District 5, and i believe we would become part of that district.  The trails that we have broke, take you through some country that is very scenic and accesable and i believe it would attract a lot of riders.  Can you imagine being able to ride all the way to Niagara Fall's!? 

Any insight, thoughts? 

Thanks guys!

Dan

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dan, there is a process for accepting new clubs into the OFSC family. I would recommend that you contact the District 5 executive and start your discussions there. There is a District 5 contact phone number listed on the OFSC website www.ofsc.on.ca.  You will need a 3-5 yr business plan including permit sales projections (you need a minimum of 50 people to commit to buying trail permits for the application to be considered), trail locations, capital equipment (groomers) plan, volunteer plan etc..

There's a lot of work in the process but it is possible. Good luck.

sledderdan

i hope you can make it work,good luck

I am located south of Hamilton.  We were chatting about what it would take to get the OFSC to allow us to build a trail system.  We have broke our own trails for years around here (yes a bit of trespassing on most peoples parts however i do have permission from most land owners to ride.)   There are NO official OFSC trails in this area what-so-ever.  

It would be very benificial if we could start a club, establish trails,  and keep the riding organized rather than trespassing all over the place.  It would be very benificial to the land owners, sledders and for local businesses all the way down the peninsula to Niagara region. 

I realize it is a huge venture, however there are so many sledders around here.  It would make things legal, safe and more enjoyable.  We get just the same season as the eastern sections of District 5, and i believe we would become part of that district.  The trails that we have broke, take you through some country that is very scenic and accesable and i believe it would attract a lot of riders.  Can you imagine being able to ride all the way to Niagara Fall's!? 

Any insight, thoughts? 

Thanks guys!

Dan

I don't believe it would ever happen in the Hamilton area because trails are the reason for a club. In your area you normaly get snow about 1 out every four years. This year is not normal There used to be clubs there but they couldn't count on open trails every year. I would say your best bet is to join into the closest trail building club and give them a hand. I'm sure they would appreciate it..

x2 on the above. It will never happen. Major land use issues with private owners and municipalities. Trespassing is a VERY big concern with both and you just reinforced that with your statement. Nobody wants to deal with the noise and liability around here in the good 'ol south!

That is why I prefer to go north in both winter & summer. Better places and better people.

Lived here all my life (50+) and we haven't had a winter like this since the 70's and highly doubt we will again for a long long time. What we do get only lasts a day or two. This latest storm being a perfect example. Out last night and a bit today then a major melt down starting tomorrow. All fluff and NO base at all.

X3 on both above statements. Also the eastern end of D5 does get the tail end of the streamers off of Lake Huron which usually gives them a bit more of a winter.

Not likely that it will happen. The OFSC can't pay for the trails that exist now. In a year like this where most clubs are grooming twice as much as normal, and half of the permits sold for an even lower price than normal, the OFSC is going to have a hard time paying for it all. They are closing trails systematically, and are discuraging any more trail building. We will see at AGM, how many more clubs are closed this year. District 17 wont be far from the chopping block. The only way OFSC can continue without big permit price increases, is to pray for low snow years, or reduce the kilometers of trails.

We will have to wait to see.

Not likely that it will happen. The OFSC can't pay for the trails that exist now. In a year like this where most clubs are grooming twice as much as normal, and half of the permits sold for an even lower price than normal, the OFSC is going to have a hard time paying for it all. They are closing trails systematically, and are discuraging any more trail building. We will see at AGM, how many more clubs are closed this year. District 17 wont be far from the chopping block. The only way OFSC can continue without big permit price increases, is to pray for low snow years, or reduce the kilometers of trails.

We will have to wait to see.

It's a beautiful set-up, isn't it? Hope for really short winters. Close some more trails. The difference between the number of kilometers of trail advertised by OFSC a few years ago and the those advertised today is alarming - if not shameful. And then, for nothing more than a "let's hope it works" purpose, they dropped the early-bird price. If more permits have been sold this year it is because of the weather. And because of the weather, clubs want/need to groom more and there is less early-bird money. Brilliant!!

I do not believe that there is truth in this. Accurate measurement in kms through gps cut some clubs mileage by 40 %. The discounted permit was STUPID on that I more than agree. 

Yes. The discounted permit was absolutely stupid. What is the matter with defending your price if you believe you are also offering value???

But....it's not all GPS - we've also lost an entire District in the north!; plus C101F; the trail from Wawa to Searchmount, all the trails in Holland Landing because that club couldn't get their hands on permits to sell, and I'm going to speculate "tons" of club trails simply based on the number of miles we have closed.

This current OFSC business model does not work !!

It's a beautiful set-up, isn't it? Hope for really short winters. Close some more trails. The difference between the number of kilometers of trail advertised by OFSC a few years ago and the those advertised today is alarming - if not shameful. And then, for nothing more than a "let's hope it works" purpose, they dropped the early-bird price. If more permits have been sold this year it is because of the weather. And because of the weather, clubs want/need to groom more and there is less early-bird money. Brilliant!!

First of all, the OFSC like to see less trails but closing trails means also less permit sales. I think that the OFSC will come with a price increase for the permits, the $210 will go up to $225 and the $260 to $280. I don't think that there will be a Nov 1 permit discount.

Also there are still clubs who believe that they will get the $66 for every grooming hour and that will not happen. Most clubs will loose money before amortization, not a big problem but we can't do this next couple of years. We need good snow years to keep the people interested in snowmobiling. Don't think that there will be a district folding this year, some clubs maybe.

Thanks,

Greg

I do not believe that there is truth in this. Accurate measurement in kms through gps cut some clubs mileage by 40 %. The discounted permit was STUPID on that I more than agree. 

Do we have the final report? I don't agree calling this stupid because OFSC is trying something. I admire those who try, learn something and adjust accordingly as opposed to those who complain without bringing solutions or options.

Do we have the final report? I don't agree calling this stupid because OFSC is trying something. I admire those who try, learn something and adjust accordingly as opposed to those who complain without bringing solutions or options.

The final report needs to be balanced against overall sales. Because of this brilliant winter my fear is that someone will believe that increased permit sales has something to do with us receiving less revenue.

The final report needs to be balanced against overall sales. Because of this brilliant winter my fear is that someone will believe that increased permit sales has something to do with us receiving less revenue.

Agreed.

Please get this straight. The clubs, not the OFSC decided to lower the price. And its the clubs who decide to close trails.

Please get this straight. The clubs, not the OFSC decided to lower the price. And its the clubs who decide to close trails.

it was the presentation put forth to the clubs that created this

Oh, I have it straight. And that is one of the biggest problems with this current business model. The clubs (grassroots dewy eyed, koolAid drinking BS) think they are running the show; the OFSC (framework for CONTROL) has politically manipulated their own agenda. WHO is minding the store?

WHO can put together a business plan in the best interest of sledders ????

As long as we have 260, or some, votes to take a motion through 2 years of consideration, this will continue to deteriorate.

How many Billion is this business??

We need volunteers. We need a centalized org like an OFSC but it is time for big change. Change that will not be proposed or supported by 260 voters, the majority of whom think that all is well except, maybe, are permit prices are too high.

Blow up this business model!!!!!

We are not in Quebec, this is Ontario.

Quebec is doing not bad and their early permit price is $280 if I am right......

Thanks,

Greg

The early bird price is $300 and, instead of making apologies, the FCMQ defends the pricing and backs it up with top notch product.

Archived