What's it going to take to get some trails around here?

sledderdan

I have never paid $15K for a new sled. Someone getting into the sport for the first time isn't likely to either unless they are flush with cash and/or confident of being in the sport for the long haul. My first sled was 4 years old when I bought it as a two up for my wife and I. A short time later I realized she needed her own so another 4 year old sled. After that I started to buy new for myself and since my wife doesn't ride as much I also bought her another 4 year old sled. Mine is now 7 years old, no problems and I like it. My wife's is now 10 years old and I keep offering to get her a new sled but she likes hers and it sips fuel so we are keeping it.

There is nothing that requires anyone to spend $15K on a sled so I don't see that as a barrier to the sport.

I am on my seventh season on the same sled. It has been modded with new  skid new front suspension as well as clutching, engine is stock. My sled has well over 40k km's on it in those seven seasons. More than most sleds you will see on the trail, classic or not. My point is, any year sled can be made to be reliable, and 199 had some nice chasis with plenty of power capable of saddlebag trips. My daughter and I went on a two night trip just a couplke of weeks back, she rides a mint 1992 sled with a classic permit on it. It would have a full season if the classic was not offered, I also bought before nov 1 so we got that discount as well. I would have gladly paid 210 or 225 for each sled, but instead paid 187.50 and 140, for a total of 327.50, the prior year I paid 210 and 140, so saved a little over last year but got a better season with more grooming. I have always advocated against the classic or early early discount even though I personally benefit, I also volunteer my time. People may call me a hypocrite for taking the discounts, but I feel I have over the bast 12 years given plenty back and spent thousands of my own money volunteering and am not rich so I will take what is offered while speaking out against that offer. I have nothing against anyone tat buys a classic, why would they not if they have an eligible sled, but would like to see it frozen at 99 for at least 20 year old or 25 year old sleds. Money is an issue, and we need to face the reality that we may have to pay more to keep a great system alive. I will gladly pay what it costs for a pass, with over ten thousand spent this year on sledding, I look at the permit as a drop in the bucket relative to my total expenses on the season. One days ride of 300km with the two sleds in fuelk alone is well over 100 dollars and we do this weekly and I ride without the kid at least two other days per week and evenings, spending on fuel over 200 every week, plus maintenance and food on the trail it makes the pass look like it is free. i realize most do not ride like me, but even at 40 bucks an outing it is a good deal, so riding 5-6 times per year you are getting a good deal IMO.

I will buy a classic next year unless i buy a new sled for my daughter, I will take whatever discount the clubs vote in, but still feel we should all pay the same and we should pay an amount that will not put clubs out of business.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am on my seventh season on the same sled. It has been modded with new  skid new front suspension as well as clutching, engine is stock. My sled has well over 40k km's on it in those seven seasons. More than most sleds you will see on the trail, classic or not. My point is, any year sled can be made to be reliable, and 199 had some nice chasis with plenty of power capable of saddlebag trips. My daughter and I went on a two night trip just a couplke of weeks back, she rides a mint 1992 sled with a classic permit on it. It would have a full season if the classic was not offered, I also bought before nov 1 so we got that discount as well. I would have gladly paid 210 or 225 for each sled, but instead paid 187.50 and 140, for a total of 327.50, the prior year I paid 210 and 140, so saved a little over last year but got a better season with more grooming. I have always advocated against the classic or early early discount even though I personally benefit, I also volunteer my time. People may call me a hypocrite for taking the discounts, but I feel I have over the bast 12 years given plenty back and spent thousands of my own money volunteering and am not rich so I will take what is offered while speaking out against that offer. I have nothing against anyone tat buys a classic, why would they not if they have an eligible sled, but would like to see it frozen at 99 for at least 20 year old or 25 year old sleds. Money is an issue, and we need to face the reality that we may have to pay more to keep a great system alive. I will gladly pay what it costs for a pass, with over ten thousand spent this year on sledding, I look at the permit as a drop in the bucket relative to my total expenses on the season. One days ride of 300km with the two sleds in fuelk alone is well over 100 dollars and we do this weekly and I ride without the kid at least two other days per week and evenings, spending on fuel over 200 every week, plus maintenance and food on the trail it makes the pass look like it is free. i realize most do not ride like me, but even at 40 bucks an outing it is a good deal, so riding 5-6 times per year you are getting a good deal IMO.

I will buy a classic next year unless i buy a new sled for my daughter, I will take whatever discount the clubs vote in, but still feel we should all pay the same and we should pay an amount that will not put clubs out of business.

Well said...thank you..

Archived