What an adventure....

aar0n

Left for North Bay yesterday from Baysville at 7am. First person on fresh groomed 78 all the way to Kearney, didn't see a single sled. Great start of the trip. Fuel up in Kearney, and head north to sundridge. 3rd or 4th person on freshly groomed trails. Saw 5 sleds! Stop in South River for fuel and lunch at antonio's. Going back across the train tracks in South River, my carbide caught and threw me into the handlebars but I kept on riding. After 10 feet, I notice something is seriously wrong. My carbide was bent 90degrees half way up the ski, and my trailing arm was bent. Thankfully, a great guy came over and we limped the sled to his house. He grinded off the carbide leaving the back half in tact and the front warped half in the garbage. We had no idea what we were going to do, but then I remembered there was Rickwards in Kearney. Limped the sled back with a broken trailing arm in a race against time. Left Sundridge at 230 and had to be in Kearney by 430 (he closed at 3 but said he would wait until then). Trails were still great but I had to use all my strenght to keep my sled straight. Didn't get to rickwards until 530 and amazingly he was still there waiting for us! What an awesome guy! He brings the sled in, finds a used trailing arm in great condition and says he will install it monday morning. I was amazed at the service of this dealer after dealing with a certain dealer (if you wanna call it that!) who didn't manage to do anything right. All in all a great day, 300km of groomed perfection, even though 100km was with a broken trailing arm. I'm just glad my season isn't over and the used trailing arm will leave me some $$ for gas. 

Glad to hear you didn't get hurt and the sled was able to lump back for repairs. Heard nothing but good things with Rickwards.

Glad to hear you didn't get hurt and the sled was able to lump back for repairs. Heard nothing but good things with Rickwards.

X2  Glad you are ok

Glad you are OK and your season can continue.  Your enthusiasm for this sport is infectious and inspiring.  :right_on:

Glad you made it back ok, could of been alot worse. Were you riding with a group?

Riding with my dad and my brother 

Rob is a good guy, his customer service is grear

waited 2.5 hours for me, found a cheap used trailing arm in minutes, and sled will be fixed monday. That is beyond amazing 

So that means the North Bay trails will have to wait for another day.

Sounds like amazing service at Rickwards.

Glad you enjoyed the Almaguin District Snowmobile Club trails.

Go to the Ice Caves some day when around the Edgewater on Sand Lake.

I love that area and great, hard working Club.

Brian - NBSC

Good lesson learned when crossing RR Tracks.

Always expect the worse an crawl over them!!!!

Glad things worked out for you.

Enjoy the rest of the trip!

waited 2.5 hours for me, found a cheap used trailing arm in minutes, and sled will be fixed monday. That is beyond amazing 

As the saying goes Aaron.   Good things happen to good people.  You are one of them.  Also glad you weren't alone.  Anything can happen out there.  Safe sledding and enjoy the trails. :right_on:  :bowdown:

As the saying goes Aaron.   Good things happen to good people.  You are one of them.  Also glad you weren't alone.  Anything can happen out there.  Safe sledding and enjoy the trails. :right_on:  :bowdown:

Thank you. And certainly glad I wasn't alone. The cell coverage between kearney is south river is non existent! Thankfully, when people see a kid on the side off the trail with the hood up they pull over and help in any way they can. 

glad you are safe.

a few observations 

- Rob is a good guy the best Polaris shop that I know of .

- you obviously made an impression with your request for help that shows well on you 

- railway tracks can be tricky be careful

- sledders will almost always help each other

-glad you are ok 

a few observations 

- Rob is a good guy the best Polaris shop that I know of .

- you obviously made an impression with your request for help that shows well on you 

- railway tracks can be tricky be careful

- sledders will almost always help each other

-glad you are ok 

Don't forget there are still a lot of good people around willing to help.  Pay it forward.  

So that means the North Bay trails will have to wait for another day.

Sounds like amazing service at Rickwards.

Glad you enjoyed the Almaguin District Snowmobile Club trails.

Go to the Ice Caves some day when around the Edgewater on Sand Lake.

I love that area and great, hard working Club.

Brian - NBSC

I was devasted! I wanted to get to NB so badly. Made it so close but yet so far..

Good lesson learned when crossing RR Tracks.

Always expect the worse an crawl over them!!!!

Glad things worked out for you.

Enjoy the rest of the trip!

Had the same thing happen two weeks ago. Trail 14 just south of the SMART groomer shop crosses train tracks. The tracks are about a 30 degree angle as you approach. Going slow since it was also bare asphalt. Suddenly left ski carbide grabs and sled lurches left. I get thrown off the sled and land on the road. My wife asks if I'm okay then starts to laugh. She says it looked like slow motion in a way when I came off. Then she leverages the Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and calls me Bumble.... she says Bumbles bounce. Sure am glad I was going slow.

I'm glad you're not hurt Aaron, track crossings can be rough.

Reminds me of an accident a friend had a couple years ago.  Her ski caught some Canadian shield at the crest of a little hill and launched her to the right.  She panicked a little as she almost fell off the sled and clamped down hard on the handle bars pinning the throttle.  She ended up in a tree that really wanted to keep her ski and trailing arm as a souvenir of their encounter.  She was shook up but OK. 

Going to rickwards tomorrow to pick up sled. Going to look at some of his used sleds. We've had enough of his 91 safari. 4000km's later my dad finally realized we like sledding and that its time for an upgrade

Those tracks do stick up a bit high at South River.  I have caught them myself but luckily did not cause any damage. Rob Rickward is a real good dealer. He always tries to get people up and running as  soon as possible so that they miss very little sledding time.    

Those tracks do stick up a bit high at South River. I have caught them myself but luckily did not cause any damage. Rob Rickward is a real good dealer. He always tries to get people up and running as soon as possible so that they miss very little sledding time.

yeah its nuts. i moved over for snowcross wannabees ripping through and then bam!

He should snowcheck a 2015 800 HO ! lol

I am casually looking at a left over 2014 Indy 550 ES for the wife.

She had a accident a few years ago hitting a large rock near pickerel lake and it threw her off. Tears, brused shoulder and $700 in parts was the damage. We sold that 06 classic 600 as in her words "I'm never going snowmobiling again they are too dangerous" well 3 winters later she has changed her toon and wants to get back into it. Wishing I kept that low mileage 600 with the M-10 I am reluctantly starting to window shop for her next ride. 

Never should have sold such a great second sled !!!

He should snowcheck a 2015 800 HO ! lol

I am casually looking at a left over 2014 Indy 550 ES for the wife.

She had a accident a few years ago hitting a large rock near pickerel lake and it threw her off. Tears, brused shoulder and $700 in parts was the damage. We sold that 06 classic 600 as in her words "I'm never going snowmobiling again they are too dangerous" well 3 winters later she has changed her toon and wants to get back into it. Wishing I kept that low mileage 600 with the M-10 I am reluctantly starting to window shop for her next ride.

Never should have sold such a great second sled !!!

Lol are you kidding! He will not snowcheck a 2015. His budget is 3k but im tellig him spend a little more you can get a rev or an iq and get your money back on resale. my brother is looking at a 98 indy 500 and my dad who knows. But instead of buying 2 sleds I trying to tell them we should get the fst touring from rickwards

Those indy 500s are great all around sleds

Archived