Great Northern Ride

Nunz

Left hornepayne at 730am.. They don't serve breakfast at uncles.. Not happy about that.. Don't think we will stay there again, dinner was ok but it just didn't seem they wanted sledders there..

Made it to Dub in good time and met Luc at quickee mart.. Super nice guy.. Went to gas pumps but they were locked out so we took off for Ernie's in missinabi and had an amazing burger and poutine and got gas there.. Surprisingly we had gone 110 miles and still had almost 20 litres of gas left in the tanks.. Couldn't believe it to be honest. After lunch we took off for Chapleau and are staying at Valentine Farms. Rooms are nice and they even have a hot tub, went to a Chinese place and food was decent, destination tommorrow is Elliott lake.. Looking forward to it.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went to gas pumps but they were locked out so we took off for Ernie's in missinabi and had an amazing burger and poutine and got gas there.. Surprisingly we had gone 110 miles and still had almost 20 litres of gas left in the tanks.

:icon_doh:

I wonder if they were out of fuel?

Just got into Elliott lake after leaving Chapleau at 830am, trails were freshly groomed and it snowed all day up here. 4 trees at different areas had blocked the trail so had to muscle our way over them. Made it with gas to spare to black creek outfitters, really nice people.. Found the signage around Elliott lake horrible, Hampton inn is really nice once u can find it. We are all getting a bit tired have gone over 1000 miles in five days of riding, off to sportsmans lodge tommorrow.

Hope u all have a great weekend!!

I think they were. Someone came over and thought that might be the case.

Either way it worked out.

quote name="revrnd" post="155215" timestamp="1392997843"]

:icon_doh:

I wonder if they were out of fuel?

Glad to hear you are enjoying yourselves Nunz.  Memories of those areas.  I love reading posts like this just to remind me what it is like up there.  Lots of riding in Ontario to be had that is what is so AWESOME about this Country we live in.  Enjoy and be safe out there. P.S.  I don't have Facebook nor will I get it so when you get back home please post some pics on here for me.  PLEASE, PLEASE

thats great your getting lots of miles on,hit the hot tub & you guys will feel like brand new...ish

I will post pics next week for sure.. I can now understand why sledders come up here..

Thanks

Glad to hear you are enjoying yourselves Nunz. Memories of those areas. I love reading posts like this just to remind me what it is like up there. Lots of riding in Ontario to be had that is what is so AWESOME about this Country we live in. Enjoy and be safe out there. P.S. I don't have Facebook nor will I get it so when you get back home please post some pics on here for me. PLEASE, PLEASE

WD.. Did u see my post about seeing your oc sticker near Iroquois falls?

thats great your getting lots of miles on,hit the hot tub & you guys will feel like brand new...ish

Left hornepayne at 730am.. They don't serve breakfast at uncles.. Not happy about that.. Don't think we will stay there again, dinner was ok but it just didn't seem they wanted sledders there..

Made it to Dub in good time and met Luc at quickee mart.. Super nice guy.. Went to gas pumps but they were locked out so we took off for Ernie's in missinabi and had an amazing burger and poutine and got gas there.. Surprisingly we had gone 110 miles and still had almost 20 litres of gas left in the tanks.. Couldn't believe it to be honest. After lunch we took off for Chapleau and are staying at Valentine Farms. Rooms are nice and they even have a hot tub, went to a Chinese place and food was decent, destination tommorrow is Elliott lake.. Looking forward to it.

Is the restaurant across the road from the gas station still open in Hornpayne.It was quite good when we went through 3 years ago.

NUNZ

glad you are having a great trip enjoy your ride

Greg

Is the restaurant across the road from the gas station still open in Hornpayne.It was quite good when we went through 3 years ago.

The restaurant acrosss from ESSO is closed we where planning on lunch there but they are closed up

zrtkat

Sounds like a great trip Nunz!!! Can't wait for those pics. Enjoy!!!!

Nunz, sounds like a great trip.  In Dub, when you said the pumps were "locked out", did you mean they would not work?  This happened to me a few weeks ago and it took 1.5 hours to get them "reset" because someone had picked the handle up before going through the card reader and getting their own PIN and then getting the card approved and pump chosen.  That causes the system to shut down until an administrator can go to the station and reset the system.  I was not happy because it cost us 1.5 hours and a late arival in Chapleau that night as we changed plans and had dinner with Ernie. 

The Hampton in Elliot Lake is easy once you know where to go, but you're right about signs which are not what they used to be.

The place in Hornpayne by the Esso was closed last year and for sale. 

AC+YA did you ever eat there? You were at the Companion Inn at the same time we were.Is there anywhere else in Hornpayne to eat besides Uncle's.

We were last at the Companion Inn, Friday night Feb. 7th.  We went through to Dub with only gas from the Esso because I was going to eat dinner in Chapleau because we had lunch in Hearst before leaving.  Well, we got a few Ernie burgers anyway. 

The only place I know in Hornpayne is Uncle's to eat, but there may be another in the center of town?

I did eat at the place by the Esso and thought it nice to have differnt food than Uncle's.  This picture was taken there on one of my stops to eat.  The Esso is just across the street as seen in the picture.  I liked the place and stopped there 5 times before they closed.

IMG_1028.jpg  The

4-Stephen's had pie and cake and I perfered it.  We use to ride from Dub just to get pie.  It is different since it was bought and changed to Uncle's.

I did eat at the place by the Esso and thought it nice to have differnt food than Uncle's.  This picture was taken there on one of my stops to eat.  The Esso is just across the street as seen in the picture.  I liked the place and stopped there 5 times before they closed.

IMG_1028.jpg  The

4-Stephen's had pie and cake and I perfered it.  We use to ride from Dub just to get pie.  It is different since it was bought and changed to Uncle's.

Am I seeing things or are gas tanks tied to running boards!? 

Thanks for the info zrtkat. Too bad it is closed,I was hoping that they could make a go of it.

X2

We ate there in '12 & the 4 of us had a nice lunch.

Well after 8 days of riding we finally made it back to Kirkland lake last night, we spent the past 3 days going from Elliott lake to sportsmans lodge which we will go back again for sure. Stopped in to have lunch at 3 bears and met Kelly, food was excellent!!! Then continued on same day to Timmins, stayed at Cedar meadows, won't go back there ever, they wanted $25 per person to use the hot tub.. On our last day we took off for cochrane to go see polar bear habitat which was a highlight of trip and snowmobile museum, stopped in for lunch at Iroquois falls and made it back to Kirkland lake by 7pm.

All said & done we did 1600 miles for the week, just need to drive home today.. I'll post pics on Thursday when I'm back to work.

Thanks Greg !! It was my best trip ever.. We are coming back up here again soon..

NUNZ

glad you are having a great trip enjoy your ride

Greg

Am I seeing things or are gas tanks tied to running boards!? 

Those guys had gas cans every place possible.  They had come from Wawa by lakes and rivers and stopped in to Hornpayne for gas and food before going the rest of the way to Hearst by lakes and ungroomed roads.  Quite a group.  See the one sled pulling gas.  It must have cost 4 times the gas, but they do it every year.

IMG_1032.jpgIMG_1031.jpg

Archived