Epic trip planned - any advice?

whiskywizard

Since the Great Lakes are freezing over nicely this year, I thought a bit longer run might be nice. I've mapped it out below. Any suggestions?  How hard will it be to get up Niagara Falls once it's frozen?  I get pretty good mileage so I'm thinkin' I'll fill up in Welland, Detroit, and SS Marie.  Is it worth making the side trip down to Green Bay WI?

post-22643-0-31485300-1390522892_thumb.jpg

I hope you are joking. I wouldn't run those lakes, too risky. Be carefully on Huron and Erie they use ice breakers.

LMAO!!!!!!!!! IM PISSING MY PANTS RIGHT NOW "How hard will it be to get up niagara falls when its frozen" ROFL

VIPERRULES OF COURSE HES KIDDING

I'm not sure you've got enough studs to climb the Falls.  Besides, as long as you are filling up in Welland, might as well run the canal.  Make sure you time it so the lock doors are open when you approach in case the ice is a little thin so you won't have to stop and wait.  Personnally, being a big fan of the Blues, I 'd side trip down to Chicago rather than Green Bay.

Just start at the other end, then you can ride down the falls instead of up. :wavey:

Just start at the other end, then you can ride down the falls instead of up. :wavey:

Crap..wish I'd thought of that

Once saw a guy as he started across Georgian Bay from Balm Beach to Collingwood. Daredevil wore a life jaket over his one-piece snowmobile suit. 1980's. Gas station owner in Perkinsfield (Lesperance) said he made it across and back.

As for Niagara Falls... too funny.

Crap..wish I'd thought of that

Brilliant! The entire trip will be downhill. I can skip a fuel stop.

I once sat with a group that had ridden from collingwood to tobermory and then to Parry Sound stayed at the Jolly Roger. Ernie pointed them out to me awesome adventure straight across the bay I cant even imagine 

tried my best to get u tube video of guy in dam...dam computers

A stop in Niagara Falls at the Sundowner and Seductions is a must.  So many important sights to see there and you're helping the local economy!  These establishments employee struggling college students and single parents.  Truly charitable organizations.  If you choose to venture across the boarder you can visit the hot tourist locations like; Tonawanda, Cheektowaga and Lackawanna!

tried my best to get u tube video of guy in dam...dam computers

Was this the one

A stop in Niagara Falls at the Sundowner and Seductions is a must. So many important sights to see there and you're helping the local economy! These establishments employee struggling college students and single parents. Truly charitable organizations. If you choose to venture across the boarder you can visit the hot tourist locations like; Tonawanda, Cheektowaga and Lackawanna!

I think the technical term is Urban Folkdancing. I'm a big supporter!

That video was unbelievable....can't fathom what would have happened if he had not made it.

WOW one more inch the other way and that guy was ass over tea kettle

• 1 month later...

Check out the recent ice conditions! Freeze up is going very well. I think now is the right time to make this trip. There's less than 80 miles of open water to cross on Lake Ontario.

post-22643-0-18088300-1393870087_thumb.jpg

I've got a few final questions.... Will this route be a lot busier on the weekend? Should I do it on Wednesday instead of Saturday? If I stray across the border, on the Niagara River or Detroit River, for example, do I need to check in with US Customs?

A stop in Niagara Falls at the Sundowner and Seductions is a must.  So many important sights to see there and you're helping the local economy!  These establishments employee struggling college students and single parents.  Truly charitable organizations.  If you choose to venture across the boarder you can visit the hot tourist locations like; Tonawanda, Cheektowaga and Lackawanna!

As the late Iron Mike Bensson would say, "MINTSSSSS!"

After a day on Lake Ontario, you can discuss 'shrinkage' in those establishments.

And hope for charity ("act of charity" not Charity).

:-P

Archived