TSSA Regulations - Crippling Small Business and Closing Gas Stations

Dan-Senior

Our nanny society is putting ontario out of business

YUP!

it isnt "official" yet that the 3 will be closing for fuel services. no sense in posting something is closed, until it is for sure the businesses are not going to comply with the requests to update their facilities. i am guessing they were issued "suggestions" to update their facilities by a certain date. that date may not affect the 3 businesses in question for the sledding season.

just make sure you have extra fuel in algoma, not many remote places have fuel any longer. it's like it was in the early 90's, never pass a gas stop, and dont assume there will be fuel ANYWHERE. Ski

Makes sense. Hey even down "south" you never know when you'll find a place out of fuel or closed for some reason.

Hi Guys

As a small gas station operator we also had a visit from TSSA and have to invest big bucks to keep it open.

Did you know that rural gas stations pay more for gas delivery and therefore also have to ask higher prices then in bigger cities? Unfortunately I hardly see any appreciation by sleders but rather made the experiance that many just top up their tanks a little to get to cheaper gas stations. This doesn't help the small rural gas stations to stay open. Thanks to those that fill their sleds!

Anyhow, Tornado's Resorts in Port Loring is offering gas from Friday to Monday, other days by chance.

Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Regards

Lionel

The problem with the TSSA is that they have so many rules that overlap, that they can not answer any one question with any certainty. I just went through a case where over the course of 2 weeks I could not get 2 people to give me the same answer to a question about replacing a valve on an LP tank. Our local inspector told me I could not with my license, another person says no, then not sure, then no again. Then I finally get an engineers who wrote the rule, and he says he is pretty sure that I can. 

Too many chiefs, too many of whom have no idea about what they are regulating. Hell, the head of the TSSA has never likely pumped his own fuel.

Hi Guys

As a small gas station operator we also had a visit from TSSA and have to invest big bucks to keep it open.

Did you know that rural gas stations pay more for gas delivery and therefore also have to ask higher prices then in bigger cities? Unfortunately I hardly see any appreciation by sleders but rather made the experiance that many just top up their tanks a little to get to cheaper gas stations. This doesn't help the small rural gas stations to stay open. Thanks to those that fill their sleds!

Anyhow, Tornado's Resorts in Port Loring is offering gas from Friday to Monday, other days by chance.

Regards

Lionel

Thanks for being there. I always take the opportunity to fill at a mom and pop shop before a corporate store. And this putting in $5 at on stop to save 5cents a litre at the next one is stupid, it will only save you a couple of bucks at most, and also takes you away from riding for another 5-10minutes.

Hi Guys

As a small gas station operator we also had a visit from TSSA and have to invest big bucks to keep it open.

Did you know that rural gas stations pay more for gas delivery and therefore also have to ask higher prices then in bigger cities? Unfortunately I hardly see any appreciation by sleders but rather made the experiance that many just top up their tanks a little to get to cheaper gas stations. This doesn't help the small rural gas stations to stay open. Thanks to those that fill their sleds!

Regards

Lionel

I hope to make it up to Port Loring this summer. Say hi to Dan over at Wright's Point for me!

Hi Guys

Regards

Lionel

I always fill my tank you never know if the next station has a problem. 

Hi Guys

Regards

Lionel

Whenever I find gas I always fill the sled up. Far better than being low and looking for gas. Apart from that on a relatively small tank what's a few cents a liter. Heck on 40L at 3 cents difference that's only $1.20. I just appreciate the gas being there. As for price though... I usually find it actually cheaper in cottage country than in Toronto. I like to leave home with just enough gas in the truck to get me to the cottage country station and fill up there. This past weekend Toronto was $1.279 while Port Severn was $122.4 I believe. If the gas costs more for the reseller in cottage country then their is something wrong with that picture. Either Toronto is being taken for a ride or the cottage country guy should in fact be charging more.

The problem with the TSSA is that they have so many rules that overlap, that they can not answer any one question with any certainty. I just went through a case where over the course of 2 weeks I could not get 2 people to give me the same answer to a question about replacing a valve on an LP tank. Our local inspector told me I could not with my license, another person says no, then not sure, then no again. Then I finally get an engineers who wrote the rule, and he says he is pretty sure that I can. 

Too many chiefs, too many of whom have no idea about what they are regulating. Hell, the head of the TSSA has never likely pumped his own fuel.

That's because the person you see at your location 99% of the time is not a TSSA inspector but a TSSA agent. They take a look, write a report and then submit it to the TSSA inspector who in todays world often doesn't leave the office. They review what the AGENT saw and then issue a report or an order to fix. Those AGENTS cannot sign a report. Only an inspector can. If you check the name of the agent against the signature and name on a report you will almost always find they are different. They have chosen to send out agents with some training than actual inspectors with lots of training since it costs less.

Whenever I find gas I always fill the sled up. Far better than being low and looking for gas. Apart from that on a relatively small tank what's a few cents a liter. Heck on 40L at 3 cents difference that's only $1.20. I just appreciate the gas being there. As for price though... I usually find it actually cheaper in cottage country than in Toronto. I like to leave home with just enough gas in the truck to get me to the cottage country station and fill up there. This past weekend Toronto was $1.279 while Port Severn was $122.4 I believe. If the gas costs more for the reseller in cottage country then their is something wrong with that picture. Either Toronto is being taken for a ride or the cottage country guy should in fact be charging more.

I wish we could get our gas for $1.279 at our remote location. We pay more then that out of the tanker but still try to sell it as cheap as possible. At least our stuff is ethanol free.

I wish we could get our gas for $1.279 at our remote location. We pay more then that out of the tanker but still try to sell it as cheap as possible. At least our stuff is ethanol free.

Reality for me is that if I am out riding and I come across fuel I stop and fill up just to be safe and don't really give the cost per liter a whole lot of thought. I did do a double take one time when someone was charging about 35 cents a liter more than anywhere else simply because there wasn't any other option in the area and they knew they could get away with it. I never have a problem with anyone making a decent profit but do when they try to take outrageous advantage

Never drive past a gas station or a washroom.

Reality for me is that if I am out riding and I come across fuel I stop and fill up just to be safe and don't really give the cost per liter a whole lot of thought. I did do a double take one time when someone was charging about 35 cents a liter more than anywhere else simply because there wasn't any other option in the area and they knew they could get away with it. I never have a problem with anyone making a decent profit but do when they try to take outrageous advantage

The former Moosehorn between Cloyne & Denbign dd the same thing. 

it is official, no fuel at flame lake lodge. the tssa mandate was too expensive to continue to sell fuel. plan accordingly, no fuel from chapleau to black creek on the F trail. flame lake lodge is open, and will provide overnight lodging and meals. call ahead to plan your day stop for lunch.

so sad that a govt agency can be run to obolish the little guys.

what is even more troubling, if it is not the trails, clubs, and districts failing, now.. gas stops are closing. there will come a time where you will not tour this region any longer. the trail can be in but, if you cant make it from point a to point b on fuel, the sledders will not be able to reach end destinations, and will no longer frequent these areas. very unfortunate for a VERY BEAUTIFUL AREA OF THE PROVINCE. Ski 

Sorry to hear that. Its been 10 years since I bought fuel at Flame Lake. When we stopped back then, 2 in my party refused to buy gas because they thought the price was too expensive. (I'm thinking it was about $.25/L more than in town.)

They made it to Chapleau with a couple litres to spare. Not what I would chance. You never know what lies ahead.

Reality is, if enough sleds were stopping for fuel they would be committing to the costs to upgrade. With the mileage numbers most sleds get these days, few will be needing to making that stop for fuel any more, and I assume the lodge has seen a decline in riders over the last few years.

I believe it's around 180 kms from Black Creek to Chapleau. Easy run for any modern sled. I used to ride with a jerry can but haven't since we went to 4-strokes.

Archived