Ski-Doo Dealer

Ultrafrozen

The wife and I stopped in at the local Ski-Doo dealer to look at a new sled for her today.  When we got there, all the sleds were plastered with "DO NOT SIT ON SLEDS" signs. This turned me off to the dealer's methods so I doubt I'll return.  Anybody else see this before?  I've taken $60,000 trucks out for test drives and this kid won't even let people sit on the damn things.

The Yamaha dealer let us take a new sled out for a little ride a couple years ago and since then, we bought a couple ATVs from him.  I just wish he had a Vector for sale, I'd buy from him instead of out of town.  Still time to think about it!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your Yamaha guy can always get one from another dealer. Seen it a few times, guess they want show pieces, not snow pieces!

Do not sit signs, yup seen lots of places do this. The local BRP and Polaris dealers do it. So does the Honda motorcycle dealer...

It's just to keep the window shoppers off them, if your really look at one than never had a problem sitting on them.

As for test rides, never bought a new sled, but have boughten 2 new bikes. Both with no test ride.. You want to test ride, you need to hit the MFG demo days.... Just the way the recreation powersports market works, I guess.

I did once see a guy test fly an airplane. Was at the Avation Expo at Oshawa airport 6 or 7 years ago. Guy was looking at a new Cirius SR22, 4 place, high performance single engine about a $600,000 aircraft. I was siting in the mockup checking it out, when his buddy climbed in and started making small talk with me. This dude came out with a sales rep few min ties later and told his friend their where going on a test flight. Best part is, they asked if I wanted to come along as they wanted to fully load the plane for the test flight. Got a free hour ride over the GTA just for being in the right place at the right time :)

get one of these Ultra ,

3QuWzVU.jpg

Dweese, I've been on a four hour Polaris demo ride in Timmins a few years back and the Polaris guys were really keen on getting feedback.  Luckily I was allowed to sit on those sleds.

I wasn't looking for a test ride, I just wanted the wife to sit on it before buying it.

As for the Cirrus SR22, they probably wouldn't let me sit in one of those either :)

Yes MM, I might be picking up a 2012 Vector LTX for her on the way to Sudbury tomorrow.  It's black and would match my black short track Vector.  I'll have to see how I feel in the morning.

I wonder if it's to keep the rugrats off the sleds when dad is buying a jug of oil @ the parts counter?

I've seen the signs on sleds too.

I have seen the signs too, but never had an issue sitting on one. If you are a serious shopper, they won't say a word and should help you out. I have even adjusted suspensions on the showroom floor. Most dealers are very helpful.

usually dealers will put a sign on a sled that is already sold...but really,,,how the hell do you know if you like the sled without sitting on it...thats why the spring sneek peek is good you can sit on all the makes & models to compare...

Ultra, don't give up on your 'Doo dealer just yet. 

As others on here have said, this sort of sign is very common in powersports showrooms...and yes, as revrnd suggests, it is usually intended to keep the unattended young kids off the new sleds with their dirty boots and curious hands.  I can't believe you and/or Carole wouldn't be welcome to sit on as many models as you like, if the dealer sales rep knows you are seriously interested.  Ditto for a test ride on one of their demos, if local snow conditions allow.   

Ppls boots and shoes scratch and scuff new products weather its a sled or lawnmower and some buyers will say they want a new one right out of the box cause the one on the showroom floor is all marked up from others then the dealer has a tough time selling it and has to offer a discount cause of the scuffs. If your serious about buying im sure they would gladly let u sit on one.

i was in there tuesday, wonted to trade my new side bye side on an atv with plow,,,, was not happey at all with the service,,,,, will never ever go back to them.

I'm sure he would have let Carole sit on it but just seeing the signs there pissed me off.  It's like going to a clothing store looking at winter coats and seeing a sign saying "you can only try it after you buy it".  The new Vipers in the Yamaha showroom had chunks of carpet on the running boards to protect them.  Maybe I should drop into Ski-Doo dealer tomorrow morning and give him the idea before walking back out. 

my 1st new sled ''1987 yamaha exciter....1st yr for exciter,bought it at snow city...it was in the showroom for 2 months for everyone to sit on...started to bug me once i bought it...the 1st scratch is the hardest or deepest...

I wonder if it's to keep the rugrats off the sleds when dad is buying a jug of oil @ the parts counter?

I've seen the signs on sleds too.

That's the most likely reason I can think of for a dealer to display signs like that.  I can't say that I disagree, however, if I'm a serious potential buyer I would ABSOLUTELY EXPECT to be able to sit on one.  Yeah, it looks all nice, but does it fit me ?  No-one is made to fit every sled built.

I'm sure he would have let Carole sit on it but just seeing the signs there pissed me off.  It's like going to a clothing store looking at winter coats and seeing a sign saying "you can only try it after you buy it".  The new Vipers in the Yamaha showroom had chunks of carpet on the running boards to protect them.  Maybe I should drop into Ski-Doo dealer tomorrow morning and give him the idea before walking back out. 

I gotta tell you, the only one in that family I've ever known to be reasonable and easy-going is Jim.  I know him personally, been fishing and hunting with him.  He's not on the dealership side of the business (if he isn't retired ...).  Can't say that any of the others in that business have impressed me very much either.

I'd say it's worth a return trip, for at least 2 good reasons.

1.  If they have a half an eye and an arshole, they'll recognize that you're a local buyer trying to get into their brand, and embrace your efforts to buy local.  K.L. is a small enough town that I'm sure they know you, and know that you ride Yamaha, and maybe don't take your interest seriously in their shop.   I don't see them being so busy that they can't use a new customer, especially one coming from another brand.

2.  If you DO buy out of town, you can rest assured that your warranty (or otherwise) work will be the last order of business for them if they have to work on your sled.  If they're like 95% of all the other dealerships I've worked at, you work on your customer units first, and outside work after.  I've worked on Freightliner/Ford/Western Star, GM, Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep, Ski-Doo/Kawasaki/Honda.  Every dealership I've worked at tends to follow this trend.  I'm in a small town, everyone knows everyone.  I can't say that Rosko's is different from other dealerships, but I'd suspect that you will find out, one way or the other.

Good luck  :cheers:

I just got back from a weekend trip to Sudbury and visited two dealerships along the way and two in Sudbury.  Never saw one sign and I was actually encouraged to sit on the sled I was looking at in two dealerships.

I know what you're saying Denis, unfortunately, I could have been one of their returning customers looking for service on my sled.

I just got back from a weekend trip to Sudbury and visited two dealerships along the way and two in Sudbury.  Never saw one sign and I was actually encouraged to sit on the sled I was looking at in two dealerships.

I know what you're saying Denis, unfortunately, I could have been one of their returning customers looking for service on my sled.

So don't keep us in suspense, Ultra...did you make any decision about what to buy?  (enquiring minds need to know... :icon_dance-cpatch: ) 

I almost pulled the pin on the 2012 Vector L-TX but will have to wait until the spring to make sure.  Carole wants to spend some time in the saddle of my Vector and compare it to the Renegade or GSX first.  I did get her a set of Yamaha tuner skis for the Phazer at least.

We had a good long look at the Yamaha Viper L-TX SE in Verner.  Carole was sitting on a beautiful black and red one and complained about the awkward location of the thumbwarmer switch.  Well you should have seen her face light up when I told her that was the seat warmer!  From her smile, I could have bought two right there if they weren't so expensive.

From her smile, I could have bought two right there if they weren't so expensive.

lol !!!

I almost pulled the pin on the 2012 Vector L-TX but will have to wait until the spring to make sure.  Carole wants to spend some time in the saddle of my Vector and compare it to the Renegade or GSX first.  I did get her a set of Yamaha tuner skis for the Phazer at least.

We had a good long look at the Yamaha Viper L-TX SE in Verner.  Carole was sitting on a beautiful black and red one and complained about the awkward location of the thumbwarmer switch.  Well you should have seen her face light up when I told her that was the seat warmer!  From her smile, I could have bought two right there if they weren't so expensive.

I we get a chance to ride together this year, she can try my Vector.  It is not a long track but it does have the EPS.

The wife and I stopped in at the local Ski-Doo dealer to look at a new sled for her today.  When we got there, all the sleds were plastered with "DO NOT SIT ON SLEDS" signs.

I don't go into too many dealerships but I've never seen one with signs like those.  I would have no problem with the dealer trying to protect the product; I mean, he's doing it for us, the buyers.  Instead of taking it personally, why not just discuss it with them ?

For some reason I can't quote posts anymore.

Wiskeywizard, I realize that's why they do it but they could be a little more friendly.  They could post a sign that reads "please ask for assistance before sitting on snowmobiles".

I'm sure I'll mention it to him the next time I return but it won't be until spring now to look for a deal.

• 2 weeks later...

So don't keep us in suspense, Ultra...did you make any decision about what to buy?  (enquiring minds need to know... :icon_dance-cpatch: ) 

2012 Vector LTX with 700 km.  It was the owner's sled and was stored in the showroom.

I saved over $3000 compared to best pricing from KL dealer and that was an awesome price to start with.  Apart from skis, identical sled as far as I know.

Archived