riding ofsc with no permit

polarisnewbie

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all, 

What are the risks of riding ofsc with no permit? If (apparently this is a big if) I get stopped will they fine my 1k or will I just get a warning? 

Why would you want to ride without paying your way? If you can afford a sled you can afford to pay your portion of trail upkeep.

First of all you should be ashamed of yourself for even thinking of freeloading. Secondly it is not a big if it is more like you stand a very good chance of getting caught and then the fine could be up to $1000.00

Hi all,

What are the risks of riding ofsc with no permit? If (apparently this is a big if) I get stopped will

they fine my 1k or will I just get a warning?

The police now have a zero tolerance policy. They fine for trespassing on the spot! They don't carry permits either, so buying on the spot won't fly. Why take a chance, since you will eventually get caught!

If you can afford a sled, gas, oil, plates, insurance, trail, clothing..... You can afford a permit.

And actually I believe the fine this year rates the same as street racing your car, DL gone for 7 days, sled impounded. The $210 is much cheaper than the headache. And this year trails will be super heavily patrolled, so your going to get stopped, no way around it.

Hi polarisnewbie.

Members on this site strongly believe in the importance of purchasing a trail permit before venturing onto ofsc trails.

If you spend some time reading the various forums, you will get some idea of the huge amount of time, effort and expense that are involved in setting up and maintaining the trail system. Persons who use the ofsc system without a permit are taking advantage of those who purchase permits, and the thousands of people who contribute in other ways to the trail system.

Best to invest in a permit, and join the many thousands of happy permit buyers out on the trails.

Enjoy.

To be fair to the Op, he's a newbie . Perhaps he doesn't grasp that the requirement to display a valid permit is provincial law. Apparently he also doesn't realize that it's a licence product, a province of Ontario trail permit.

My read is that the tolerance for riding without a permit is decreasing in part because it's a user pay system and why should those of us who are compliant pay for those trying to beat the system? While some may argue that they get away riding without a trail permit but it only takes one checkpoint to end the free ride.  

best to buy a permit or risk being punched out by responsible Ontario sledders...

That also goes for the idiots tearing up our trails on ATV's

Want to ride your ATV in the winter on OUR trails ..puts skis and a track on it.

I have 3 sleds this year and will be buying permits for all of them ..

I guess he hit a nerve ..

k thanks guys. im comletely new to sledding and didnt realize the implications of this. 

and a street racing fine, I doubt that put yeah probably safer just to invest to 210$

my friends say they haven't seen a stop officer in 5 years though...

k thanks guys. im comletely new to sledding and didnt realize the implications of this.

and a street racing fine, I doubt that put yeah probably safer just to invest to 210$

On the trail they can't give you a street racing fine, but on the road to trail sections they can, if you are going 50km/hr over limit. Doesn't take much with limit in 30km to 50km/hr range.

okay so what are the actual risks then:

-the street racing fine is a no no

-they will probably just give me a warning

On the trail they can't give you a street racing fine, but on the road to trail sections they can, if you are going 50km/hr over limit. Doesn't take much with limit in 30km to 50km/hr range.

I may be mistaken but I don't think there is any 30 km. speed limit for sleds in Ontario. I think the limit is 20 km. on road allowances and 50 km. on trails.

Hi all, 

What are the risks of riding ofsc with no permit? If (apparently this is a big if) I get stopped will they fine my 1k or will I just get a warning? 

Welcome to the forum.  This is a great place for newbie's to learn more about snowmobiling. There are many experienced riders here that will be able to help you learn faster.  Invest in the $210 and enjoy this great sport and continue posting on this great forum.  

Welcome to the forum.  This is a great place for newbie's to learn more about snowmobiling. There are many experienced riders here that will be able to help you learn faster.  Invest in the $210 and enjoy this great sport and continue posting on this great forum.  

The bonus of investing the $210 is really easy to figure out .....  You can ride all day and night all winter long, and never have to worry about getting a fine.  Cheap insurance as far as I can see.  

We're Ultra-broke, but still manage to put permits on 2 sleds, no questions asked.  We get on the A trail right behind our house and can ride everywhere we want, and the trails are nice and flat, instead of the back-road banged up mogul infested crap along roadways.  It's your sled, ride it like you want.... I'd rather ride the nice  flat trails, and do it all day without getting tired.

Oh, and welcome to the forum !

A speeding fine on trails is one price no matter how fast u are going over the limit, weather it is 1km over or 100km over same fine

Doesn't have to be a STOP officer... there are regular OPP out and there will be an increased presence of Trail Patrol this year as well. There were changes made to speed up the process for volunteers to be trained as STOP officers so there will be more of them out this year as well.

okay so what are the actual risks then:

-the street racing fine is a no no

-they will probably just give me a warning

Not likely to get a warning on that... likely to get charged....

I may be mistaken but I don't think there is any 30 km. speed limit for sleds in Ontario. I think the limit is 20 km. on road allowances and 50 km. on trails.

Come off the ice in Orillia at the south end of Coughiching and ride the trail in town and I believe you will find it is 30 km. Not sure but I think that is what it is. It's close to a number of residences. I've seen the OPP sitting just off the ice checking for permits and with radar in the past.

A speeding fine on trails is one price no matter how fast u are going over the limit, weather it is 1km over or 100km over same fine

Unless you are on a road to trail section. Then the rules of the road apply even on a snowmobile. Watch your speed on these sections, or you could be without a license, sled for 30 days

If you are wavering on the $210 dollar permit are you also questioning purchasing insurance ?

The implications of not having that are far worse than not having the permit.

Both are wrong not to have .

going to buy a permit just wondering if there is tax on that or if it is a straight up 210$

Straight up, no tax... but its also a cash deal at 99% of the places. The guy selling you the permit makes no money off it, they do it for the love of the system

Archived