Time for my Annual Rant

revrnd

How hard is it to stay on YOUR side of the trail? Today there were tracks on E107 that basically were all over the place. The riders were going from the inside of 1 corner to the inside of the next. Hills & knolls, the tracks were right in the middle of the trail, no attempt to stay on the "correct" side of the trail.

Just because you're riding midweek doesn't mean you're the only riders out there.

Too bad the OFSC wouldn't put up a TV ad about this. Mind you I think the OFSC figures if they don't mention an issue to the riding public, it doesn't exist. They spend all their advertising money on all these warm and fuzzy ads that most of us change channels @ the 1st sign of.

C'mon people ride RIGHT!

Last weekend I had to jump off the trail. Seen a guy coming at a high rate of speed. He got about 4 feet of air coming over a hill, right down the centre. Have to really watch out.

I saw that a few years ago too. Approaching a hill the 1st rider came over at a pretty good clip. I think 4 or 5 of the 8 sled group must've thought they were Tucker Hibbert (all Cats). I stopped & let the rest of the group go by. And this was on a Sat'.

Last weekend I had to jump off the trail. Seen a guy coming at a high rate of speed. He got about 4 feet of air coming over a hill, right down the centre. Have to really watch out.

A friend of mine was killed like that many years ago.

Thanks for starting this topic. I agree with you on sledders not staying over on there side of the trail.

Although I have been saying for years this could be the fix for new groomers in ontario because everyone only uses the same 4 ft all we need are alpines to groom.

But lets also mention that in my area we have had three sleddes drive through wire fences at stop signs and in the last week we had one near mis and one full on sleds running into our groomer.

Yes the groomer stopped because the sleds were not going to . When will people learn groomers will win the battle and the war 500 lb against 5 ton you do the math.

All i can say is the near miss was when i was grooming last weeek after it was all over all that came to mind was a old country song . THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL IS A FAST MOVING TRAIN!!!

Heading up A108 from NL on Tuesday,met a guy coming at me on the wrong side at a good clip in a corner.He braked went by me sideways and just clipped my saddle bag and kept going.Scary stuff for sure.

I have hit spindles a couple of times with crazy cowboys hogging the trail.

last weekend i had a guy coming at me drifting to my side of the trail, he was half over on my side waving at me to move over, i had to use universal sign language and i'm sure he could hear me yelling at him as we passed, i had to force him back over onto his side, that and panic brakers as your coming towards them are dangerous

Just imagine what this weekend is going to be like guys... Keep your heads up!

Expect a cowboy sideways at every corner and with their skis in the air at evey hill - all while taking full advantage of their "free weekend" pass.

:soapbox:

last weekend i had a guy coming at me drifting to my side of the trail, he was half over on my side waving at me to move over, i had to use universal sign language and i'm sure he could hear me yelling at him as we passed, i had to force him back over onto his side, that and panic brakers as your coming towards them are dangerous

I usually pull over close my eyes and imagine clothes lining people like that!

How hard is it to stay on YOUR side of the trail? Today there were tracks on E107 that basically were all over the place. The riders were going from the inside of 1 corner to the inside of the next. Hills & knolls, the tracks were right in the middle of the trail, no attempt to stay on the "correct" side of the trail.

Just because you're riding midweek doesn't mean you're the only riders out there.

Too bad the OFSC wouldn't put up a TV ad about this. Mind you I think the OFSC figures if they don't mention an issue to the riding public, it doesn't exist. They spend all their advertising

money on all these warm and fuzzy ads that most of us change channels @ the 1st sign of.

C'mon people ride RIGHT!

In this day and age it is probably better to post information videos right on the website with banner ads as well along the side of the interactive trail guide directing you to the videos. Run different topics each month throughout the sledding season.

I bet the worst offenders don't even acknowledge the trail status or look at the interactive guide. That is for responsible sledders....

Send them information on prepaid funerals and messages from the OFSC.

A couple of weeks ago I was at an accident scene caused by a hot shot. He hit another sled pretty much head on. The EMS folks were working on the victim (the innocent rider) for better than a half hour while we waited. I overheard the EMS people talking about an airlift to Toronto or Sudbury. Injuries were not life threatening, but his lag was smashed badly with visible bones sticking out.

This WAS a brand new Rush 1/2 hr before we took the attached pic. Judging by the tracks (or lack thereof) in the snow, the Rush went airborne and landed where we found it.

post-20968-0-07096800-1360880560_thumb.jpg

I am not going to sit here and lie, that i have never rode fast or hard. BUT there is ALWAYS a time and place for that, while taking alot of precaution when doing so. You will never fix stupid. Hear alot about this lately, and have encountered ALOT of it lately as well. Things can happen so fast. Be safe out there..A little respect for the trails and your machine, and a ounce of commen sense go ALONG way..

We saw what was left of a bad crash on the D south of Sand Lake

Parts scattered and still smoking, burn marks on tree.

2 EMS at Edgewater

Hope who ever got hurt will be ok

Everyone needs to slowdown

We saw what was left of a bad crash on the D south of Sand Lake

Parts scattered and still smoking, burn marks on tree.

2 EMS at Edgewater

Hope who ever got hurt will be ok

Everyone needs to slowdown

Heard about that while we were at Whiskey Jacks this afternoon, someone was there waiting for their friends to meet them and got a call to tell them their friend was on the way to Huntsville via ambulance. Hearing there were lots of incidents out there today. Hope none too serious.

This is the #1 reason I ride mid-week.

I can't stand all the ass-hats out there that think they own the trails!!

I'm not saying that I'm always on the right spot of the trails, but I can 100% guarantee that I hug the right hand side of blind hills and turns.

It's very un-nerving to think of the a groomer or sled coming over that hill or around that corner!!

most I came across were behaving today

I prefer to ride mid week too but work usually gets in the way

I went out for a ride today with 5 others ,4 of which had the free pass.We did the loop from Orillia to coldwater and back thru hawkestone.Had one sled go down which we towed out to be picked up.We only had one couple of sleds which figured it was ok to just meander all over the railline.I think they might have imbibed a bit too much while ice fishing.Other than that it was a stellar day to be out and I know for sure 2 of the free riders were chomping at the bit to experience the trails and were really thrilled with the ride.Hopefully come next year if at least one wants to get a season pass then I did what I could to help grow our sport.I hope the OFSC takes the time in the near future to reply to those that applied for the free pass and do a survey of sorts on their experiences of this weekend.Maybe some good could come from this for future consideration.

Kerry

I am not going to sit here and lie, that i have never rode fast or hard. BUT there is ALWAYS a time and place for that, while taking alot of precaution when doing so. You will never fix stupid. Hear alot about this lately, and have encountered ALOT of it lately as well. Things can happen so fast. Be safe out there..A little respect for the trails and your machine, and a ounce of commen sense go ALONG way..

Three times yesterday we came so close. Once over the crest of a hill guy goes airborne smack in the middle of the trail. Had we been about 50 ft. further along he would have hit my wife who was where she should have been. Another one the guy was going so fast around the corner he drifted to the wrong side of the trail and recovered just enough that our skis must have rubbed. The last one was a group of four that don't need seats on their sleds and figure they are on a race track. They came within a couple of inches of hitting a guy and his kid on their sled.

For gods sake. You want to race do it on a track or better yet they had the radar runs on Horseshoe Lake.

Three times yesterday we came so close. Once over the crest of a hill guy goes airborne smack in the middle of the trail. Had we been about 50 ft. further along he would have hit my wife who was where she should have been. Another one the guy was going so fast around the corner he drifted to the wrong side of the trail and recovered just enough that our skis must have rubbed. The last one was a group of four that don't need seats on their sleds and figure they are on a race track. They came within a couple of inches of hitting a guy and his kid on their sled.

For gods sake. You want to race do it on a track or better yet they had the radar runs on Horseshoe Lake.

X2...agreed 02sled..

Archived