Time for my Annual Rant

revrnd

We heard today the burnt sled we saw was indeed the result of hitting the tree, guy is okay but has a broken hand

Also we heard a older fella was hit and broke his leg

Today we saw over 100 sleds with no permit, cops were at edgewater looking for unregistered sleds, they had received complaints

I know why the OFSC offered this weekend and agree with the idea, however it's the nature of some who abuse it and ride with nothing that has to be addressed.

Getting to hate weekend riding.

It's been a busy weekend for sure

I don't think the SX wannabes have any interest in racing. Too many rules or requirements.

Several years ago I had a 67 year blow a corner on a borrowed sled. I was stopped & his ski hit mine. He stopped & I went up 1 side & down the other. We took his reg' number & I called the Bancroft OPP. Their reply was "He's 67 and......"

Mid week riding is where it is at IMO

he was a farmer?

Yes.

I trained his kids (Youth drivers) just a couple years ago.

Mid week riding is where it is at IMO

I'm with you! Trails are more enjoyable...likely to be in better shape...less a$$hats on the trail..IMO just a better and more pleasurable day. It is however nice to see the families out on weekends and the youngsters out with their parents learning about the sport and enjoying!

Actually I was surprised at how few sleds we actually passed yesterday in particular. Those that we did were typically in large groups. Maybe it was just the trail that we were on but I expected more. We were riding C Trail north from the Quality Inn through the bush. The day before we rode through downtown Parry Sound on the trail and there were lots of sleds there.

Absolutely FANTASTIC TRAILS. THANKS TO ALL THOSE THAT PARTICIPATE IN MAKING AND MAINTAINING OUR TRAIL SYSTEM!

• 2 weeks later...

Why do people feel they must cut corners? Yesterday running the E trail towards the B sledder cuts corner as i was coming around. Luckily I have gotten in the habit of hugging the corners good thing as i swerved up on the bank and he clipped my rear corner. Stopped and asked (okay cursed and swore at) the individual why he felt he had to cut the corner no response not even an apology. Got it all on the GoPro will post on Monday.

Met up with a guy yesterday at the top end of Six Mile Lake who thought it was me who was too close to his side of the trail. Apparently he was heading south and the other was heading north. I had been on that route but that was about 2 to 3 hours earlier and he was suggesting 30 mins to an hour earlier and that I was leading a large group.... wasn't me. There are a lot of people ticked off at those that ride the middle or the wrong side of the trail especially on twists and crests of hills. He also told me how he has given up on the hand signal of the number of riders behind. What he said does make sense in many instances. He has and so have I people traveling at a good pace take one hand off the bars to sign others behind or last and seen them drift in the bend or even in the straight ahead section with only the one hand on the bars. Especially when they are passing a large group and have the hand off for an extended period of time.

WE came up behind a group of 4 yesterday 2 with trail patrol vests doing 30-35 km,when they met a group they all stopped,no hand signals nothing,almost ran into them.They all had mirrors and not one acknowledged we were behind them.Followed for 5-10 minutes,stopped for a break to let them get ahead.What the F--- is the reason for the mirrors.I have to get me one of those vests so i can own the trail too.

WE came up behind a group of 4 yesterday 2 with trail patrol vests doing 30-35 km,when they met a group they all stopped,no hand signals nothing,almost ran into them.They all had mirrors and not one acknowledged we were behind them.Followed for 5-10 minutes,stopped for a break to let them get ahead.What the F--- is the reason for the mirrors.I have to get me one of those vests so i can own the trail too.

btw some people ride with vest just for the extra visibility

Not saying these were not Patrol but there are some that like the visibility of the vest

Silly question... don't all sleds have those bright red brake lights? Don't remember any of the safety materials on sledding talking about hand signals for stopping. I don't think they even refer to them in the auto drivers handbook any more, do they?

Now having said that when the people I ride with see others coming up behind us going faster we usually pull over and stop the first spot that is safe for them to pass us. Just not on narrow bends or crests of hills.

And yes when you meet up with another group you pull off and make sure there is room for others to pass. But don't criticize their speed. Not everyone likes to run as fast as they can all the time. Some like to get out for the scenery as well.

Silly question... don't all sleds have those bright red brake lights? Don't remember any of the safety materials on sledding talking about hand signals for stopping. I don't think they even refer to them in the auto drivers handbook any more, do they?

Now having said that when the people I ride with see others coming up behind us going faster we usually pull over and stop the first spot that is safe for them to pass us. Just not on narrow bends or crests of hills.

And yes when you meet up with another group you pull off and make sure there is room for others to pass. But don't criticize their speed. Not everyone likes to run as fast as they can all the time. Some like to get out for the scenery as well.

I

I guess the color of your vest rules.and snow dust on those bright tail lights Don,t count.

I guess the color of your vest rules.and snow dust on those bright tail lights Don,t count.

Just so I understand you object to people stopping on the trail without using a hand signal or going slower than what YOU believe is an appropriate speed. How does going 30 to 35 on a trail imply they own the trail. Has absolutely nothing to do with being TP. I assume you feel there now needs to be a posted minimum speed? Note I did agree with you that if they come to a stop they should be pulled over to the side of the trail leaving a safe spot for others to pass.

I don't believe anybody as you say owns the trail however don't tell me how slow someone can go. The lockmaster at Swift Rapids on the Trent feeds deer on his front yard. Coming up to his yard we like to go slow so as not to startle the deer. It's a great scene to see 30 deer standing around feeding.

Just so I understand you object to people stopping on the trail without using a hand signal or going slower than what YOU believe is an appropriate speed. How does going 30 to 35 on a trail imply they own the trail. Has absolutely nothing to do with being TP. I assume you feel there now needs to be a posted minimum speed? Note I did agree with you that if they come to a stop they should be pulled over to the side of the trail leaving a safe spot for others to pass. I don't believe anybody as you say owns the trail however don't tell me how slow someone can go. The lockmaster at Swift Rapids on the Trent feeds deer on his front yard. Coming up to his yard we like to go slow so as not to startle the deer. It's a great scene to see 30 deer standing around feeding.
Just so I understand you object to people stopping on the trail without using a hand signal or going slower than what YOU believe is an appropriate speed. How does going 30 to 35 on a trail imply they own the trail. Has absolutely nothing to do with being TP. I assume you feel there now needs to be a posted minimum speed? Note I did agree with you that if they come to a stop they should be pulled over to the side of the trail leaving a safe spot for others to pass. I don't believe anybody as you say owns the trail however don't tell me how slow someone can go. The lockmaster at Swift Rapids on the Trent feeds deer on his front yard. Coming up to his yard we like to go slow so as not to startle the deer. It's a great scene to see 30 deer standing around feeding.
Don,t get me wrong,but it gets boring when you follow a group at that speed for that long.I ride with my wife and we like to put miles on.And the scenery with the deer is picture perfect we always have a camera with us.You have a good week sledding,my rant is done.

Don,t get me wrong,but it gets boring when you follow a group at that speed for that long.I ride with my wife and we like to put miles on.And the scenery with the deer is picture perfect we always have a camera with us.You have a good week sledding,my rant is done.

Happy sledding to you as well. We are sometimes slower than some and at other times faster. We always respect each other and when those riding faster than us come up behind we pull over to let them pass. Enjoy the season... for what started out late it sure is great now.

Archived