A103 Canyon Loop info??

PFCGUY

Planning a trip up to Cochrane from North Bay just prior to Family Day and wondering about the canyon loop (A103)...

Can anyone tell me if there is somewhere to stop and possibly get fuel along the way? Any info would be helpful.

And any suggestions as to where to stay and eat halfway between NB and Cochrane would be very helpful too.

Thanks

Most people run West out of Cochrane to Smooth Rock falls, gas up then head up the west side. Fuel and head north. Light food (hot dogs and soup) and fuel is available at the top at the Base Camp trailer. it's a good ride, you should have a good time.

Thanks for the info. I thought there would be fuel somewhere along the way on that loop. We are looking forward to the trip!

Thanks for the info. I thought there would be fuel somewhere along the way on that loop. We are looking forward to the trip!

Keep in mind that the fuel and hot dog is going to cost a little more than average. But that is part of being in a remote north location. Try to play in the canyon if you have time...can be fun if you play safe. Enjoy!

Depends on your sleds. Most people do the loop clockwise, because you will require less fuel at the cannon. Bring cash for fuel and food. Gas was last around 2.50 a litre. Might be Abigail more now. Either way it is a must do ride.

Check out these 2 links regarding motels and mileages.

http://www.sleddersworld.com/departments/ontarioDB/mileage.php

http://www.sleddersworld.com/departments/ontarioDB/accommodations.php

North Bay to New Liskeard should be your first day. Lots of places to stay there, but be careful on weekends in Feb as hockey tournaments rule the roost. Regardless of where you stay in New Liskeard, check out Gilles truck stop(west side of Hwy 11-just below Quality Inn). Good food.

New Liskeard to Cochrane is an easy day. We have always taken the A108 north thru Englehart as opposed to staying on A.

Agree that the way to go around the loop is clockwise if money spent on fuel is a concern.

Another thing to consider is the weather. The west side of the loop is very open and can be very cold on a cold day. The east side is more woodsy and you seem to stay warmer due to working the sled more. That being said, there is a trailer to warm up in at the canyon.

Doing the loop counter-clockwise on a sunny day would have you riding into the sun all the way down the west side. Make sure you have sunglasses or tinted shield.

Planning a trip up to Cochrane from North Bay just prior to Family Day and wondering about the canyon loop (A103)...

Can anyone tell me if there is somewhere to stop and possibly get fuel along the way? Any info would be helpful.

And any suggestions as to where to stay and eat halfway between NB and Cochrane would be very helpful too.

Thanks

I agree with 14 and VR...great trip, a must do...but bring lots of cash for the fuel stop at Fraserdale, near the canyon. As a I recall, the complete loop from Cochrane is about 335 kms, but the west side up from Smooth Rock is almost all on straight, fast utility corridor, which is great on a sunny day, but can be very cold.

As for where to stop between North Bay and Cochrane, I'd suggest the Comfort Inn in Kirkland Lake...your first day will be longer (just over 300 kms), but the second leg to Cochrane is just over 200 kms, and with an early start, you can be there by lunch, leaving you the afternoon to cruise some local trailsaround Cochrane.

The Canyon loop is great.. We rode from Hearst back towards Cochrane, and rode the Canyon loop in one day. Real decent ride..Here's a pic of the Camp at Fraserdale for fuel and some food...If you go up the SRF side, all depends on how fast and hard you ride up the Hydro line..Keep under the C-note and you will save some $$ at the Base Camp..

how long to do the loop

trying to see if i can make it from timmins and back.

thanks

how long to do the loop

thanks

I would say we are average riders, and we rode from Hearst, through the Canyon Loop and on into Cochrane. Left Hearst around 830am, and were in the Westway parking lot at 5pm..If i remember it was about 500km's.. Hope that helps. IMO, i think you would have no problem..Especially that trail from Timmins into SRF..You can definalty ride FAST!!

I would say we are average riders, and we rode from Hearst, through the Canyon Loop and on into Cochrane. Left Hearst around 830am, and were in the Westway parking lot at 5pm..If i remember it was about 500km's.. Hope that helps. IMO, i think you would have no problem..Especially that trail from Timmins into SRF..You can definalty ride FAST!!

sound good , thanks

how long to do the loop

thanks

Few years ago left Chochrane in am, went north and did canyon loop and ended day in timmins. Was full day. Can't remember mileage. I am sure you could do it as we had time to visit with others at base camp and played in canyon as well.

Few years ago left Chochrane in am, went north and did canyon loop and ended day in timmins. Was full day. Can't remember mileage. I am sure you could do it as we had time to visit with others at base camp and played in canyon as well.

Ran from Cochrane to Fraserdale a few years ago, remember it being about 95 miles and a nice ride not too fast. I have never ridden the west side of the loop, but 250-300 mile for a day should not be a problem.

Thank you to all!

This is great info and we are looking forward to getting this trip started on Saturday morning.

Personally, I prefer to make the relaxing run up the East Side in the morning and fly down the West Side after lunch. Yes, it costs me a few more bucks at the trailer. But then I have more options with what I want to do with the rest of my day when I get to Smooth Rock. You can just go straight back to Cochrane on the A trail if you want to get in early. You can take A and make a detour up to the Fire Tower to do some sight seeing. Or, if your looking to add more miles, you can run towards Timmins on C then back up to Cochrane.

ah come on do north bay to cochrane in one shot. My wife and I did it a few years ago, 300+ miles and 12 hours to do. We just ran the gauntlet the whole way. But personally north bay to new liskeard is way to short of a day, I would stay in Kirkland lake for the first day. We've stayed at the comfort there and is nice.

Personally, I prefer to make the relaxing run up the East Side in the morning and fly down the West Side after lunch. Yes, it costs me a few more bucks at the trailer. But then I have more options with what I want to do with the rest of my day when I get to Smooth Rock. You can just go straight back to Cochrane on the A trail if you want to get in early. You can take A and make a detour up to the Fire Tower to do some sight seeing. Or, if your looking to add more miles, you can run towards Timmins on C then back up to Cochrane.

I agree. Done this way twice and I prefer this route compared to going up west side. I don't care about the addnl 5 bucks for fuel.

We've done it both ways on 4 strokes. Advantage to the west side first is a nice trip to Smooth Rock Falls , breakfast and a short trip up which is a bit boring. The east side is a nicer ride if recently groomed. We've hit it both ways including having had half of the east side groomed and the rest mogals . For us, gas at Fraserdale wasn't really an issue. We'd put in $20.00 either way and have no issues getting back to either Cochrane or SRF's.

A very good observation.

Is the Fire Tower trail, the A110?..Is it worth the detour

Yes, I think it is worth it. If you run the small trail all the way up to the tower, the view is incredible. It is L105. Since A trail is detoured part way down L105 this year, you don't have to go that far out of your way.

Anyone reading here ever just pick up the river down at Gardiner, or any of several points beyond that and ride that up to the dam?

Yes, I think it is worth it. If you run the small trail all the way up to the tower, the view is incredible. It is L105. Since A trail is detoured part way down L105 this year, you don't have to go that far out of your way.

thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for the input and suggestions...

We did the short trip up to New Liskeard the first day after getting a late start and leaving NB at 1pm (220kms and easy ride to Holiday Inn).

Headed to Cochane the next day due north out of NL and took the most direct route up (320kms to Best Western but trails were rough up to Kirkland Lake and beat us up pretty good).

Day three was the canyon tour...excellent & easy day of riding. We took everyone's advice and ran to Smooth Rock Falls for breakfast first. The gas was pricey but the fire was hot and it was a nice break at the Fraserdale stop (330kms back to Best Western).

Took the long way back to NL and followed the "A" trail back down hoping to get smoother faster riding and it all worked out great. Trails were in good condition with a slight washout south of KL but the little bit longer day was easier on us than day 2. (370kms and best day of riding back to Holiday Inn)

Day 5 was an easy cruise back to the Bay but was a little slow after coming upon a sad sight on Highway 11 just north of the city, where a group of riders crossed a little too quickly and the last one was smoked by a small car...not something you want to see on the trails as you finish a trip. Hope the guy was OK and i hope his buddies finally came back to see him.(another 220kms and not a bad ride)

All in all a great trip (1460 kms total) and I would reccomend it to anyone. hotels along the way were all good and trails were very good overall...

Finished the week off with a slow and easy 3 day tour around Nipissing (565 kms) with some friends, and wrapped up the week at 2025 kms. First time my wife and I have ever taken a full week off to ride and it was one of the best weeks of vacation we've ever had! Can't wait to plan next year's adventure.

Archived