Huntsville Conditions

kozubs

tried to ride the seguin yesterday and it was a river

muskoka needs snow, had to drive through a dumping north of bracebridge this morning

I'm at Deerhurst now. There's lots of new snow here. It snowed heavily today until about 1 or 2pm, then stopped. There's more in the forecast for tomorrow. I'll report tomorrow as soon as I'm on the trails.

I'm at Deerhurst now. There's lots of new snow here. It snowed heavily today until about 1 or 2pm, then stopped. There's more in the forecast for tomorrow. I'll report tomorrow as soon as I'm on the trails.

thats good news...lookin forward to trail report

Well, despite fresh snow yesterday, conditions are still limited. Lots of snirt, some gravel and rocks. Had a close call on a very steep, twisty hill that was glare ice.

Lakes are A1. 3"+ of fluffy snow on smooth ice.

Lots of sun today so it was still a great day outdoors.

thanks for the update

We were in Burks Falls this past weekend, no fresh snow and just from what we could see of the trails from the truck decided to leave the sleds on the trailer. Glad we did from what I am seeing and hearing. Left the sleds up there and we will try again in two weeks. So here is my advice, ride that area next weekend. We won't be up so the trails will be perfect :-). That seems to be the pattern for us this year!

First off, thanks all for the replys.

We ended up up dragging up the sleds on the weekend (If you saw the poor guy dragging a snowmobile trailer down the 400 North of Barrie on Sunday with 1.5 tires that was me) and actually had a great time. Maybe because we had low expectations of the conditions.

Sat we rode from the Ultramar on 11 south of Huntsville by S. Mary Lake road and headed east on the 103/102B. There was about 2-3" of fresh powder on a smoth but icy trail. Nothing had been groomed but I thought it was great. No wooped out sections. We did get some grooming by Baysville and the trail was perfect. We did come across 1 downed tree that some guys were chopping through with an axe. It was about 10" thick and they were alredy 2/3rds the way through. We help with what we could and were on our way with 1/2 and hour. We olny got in about 80 miles on sat though. Ultramar was a great spot to leave from as we were able to gas up before and after and the trail is right there. I wanted to make sure to gas up the sleds and the truck there as we used their parking lot.

Sunday we rode south of Bracebridge from Dow lake road and headed east along the D. There was much less snow than 20minutes north and we eventually gave up after on 30 miles due to rocks and lack of base.

I was definatly worth while riding south of Huntsville. If we didn't have studs we might have found it slick but I thought the conditions were great.

I heard that Muskoka got over a foot of snow last night!!!!

Friday night through Saturday MacTier got 40cm of snow. Drove through there on Saturday morning and the snow banks on the sides of Lake Joseph road were at shoulder high in many places

tried to ride the seguin yesterday and it was a river

muskoka needs snow, had to drive through a dumping north of bracebridge this morning

Rode the Seguin on Saturday up to just past Sprucedale and there was only one stretch of water that was easily bypassed. That was where the trail has an easy exit to the road. Come to the puddle, jump 20 ft to the right onto the road and then back on the trail as you get passed the puddle. Yes it needs more snow but given what we have it was rideable and enjoyable.

Rode the Seguin on Saturday up to just past Sprucedale and there was only one stretch of water that was easily bypassed. That was where the trail has an easy exit to the road. Come to the puddle, jump 20 ft to the right onto the road and then back on the trail as you get passed the puddle. Yes it needs more snow but given what we have it was rideable and enjoyable.

on the east side we were not as fortunate with water issues.

Its one crazy season, wish we could get stable winter weather for the rest of the season but it looks like another warm up is coming this weekend or early next week.

My buddy in midland said he was out on the ice and it was good running with fresh snow on top.

Any updates - Its now Tuesday.

Can someone up there verify if Huntsville, Port Sydney, Dwight etc got some snow. Tails are hanging on yellow status.

Are there squalls moving through topping up the trails?

Thanks

MS

I rode Pt Sydney yesterday and trails were great , then they groomed last night , lots of snow up D towards Aspdin area , only groomed from Pt Sydney to JCT of D- trail and 37 , from there as of yesterday it had tons of snow on it but not groomed , Im sure there working on getting it together , towards Baysville it got a little thinner but rideable , Bracebridge doesnt have enough to groom , May get out later for quick ride , Im only 2 ks from D

Hi MM. I was hoping to ride in Port Sydney tomorrow. Do you have any advice on where to park and ride? What areas should I stay away from? Thanks for any advice you can give.

I used to stage from Pine Lodge, Port Sydney under former owners. Huge lot across from the lodge.

MM has way more local knowledge (too much? lol) but I thought I'd provide input from prior rides.

http://www.pinelodgeinn.com

Thanks for your input Canuck. It's always appreciated.

I would park at the ultramar gas station in port Sydney right on Hwy 11..we did the baysville Dorset then Dwight on Sunday and it was ok.. Plus it's snowing as we speak.

i put up some pics on a new thread Leaf , thats whats going on here , as nunz said park on the highway gas station , all of pt sydney is good as is towards aspdin, you wont be able to do huge loops but you can get in a good run im sure

Thanks Nunz and MM. I just saw your pt sydney thread MM and thanks for your help.

Archived