Elliot Lake

Dan-Senior

3 Trails open in Elliot Lake: Powerline West, Pecore Lake East and Pipeline S/West (limited)

Thank you to the Club and Community Volunteers in getting these Trails open so soon in the Season.

We will ride Elliot Lake on the 27th and 28th. Looking forward to the 2 day stay. Always a pleasure to ride in the EL region.

Dan, are you riding over from the soo or trailering to EL? thanks for the updates. might have to make a run up and see if we can make it to aubrey falls for a day ride. Ski

Skidooboy, I'm trailering to Elliot Lake early in the morning. Need to get through the Garden River Reserve before the 12 hour blockade starts at 8 am. Not sure the full intent of traffic stoppage, but they said "No Transports are getting through, but local traffic will". A protest of some sort.

That Elliot Lake to Aubrey Falls route is an awesome run You sure know how to identify a great sled trip Skidooboy. Are you from the Sault as well? Email me if you have a chance; I'm at dan.kachur@email.com

Thanks

Dan

I am from michigan, ride northern ontario alot. when is the "blockade"? are they doing this daily or just one time???? wondering if you can get from searchmont to aubrey without alot of tree jumpin? or echo bay to aubrey. never been over to EL. we are thinking about comming up for 29-1st, (this weekend). drive, and ride safe. have fun, POST PICS! :D Ski

We rode both the Powerline and Gasline today.

Powerline is in remarkably very nice condition for being so early in the season. The Gasline is still too early. More snow required. Have photos, not sure how to post on this site. Will figure out later.

Several Out-of-Town trailers parked at different Staging areas in EL.

Stopped in at the Elliot Lake SnoBirds Clubhouse to say hello and thank you for getting the trails open so soon. Great group of guys! Even had the opportunity to ride with one of them this afternoon.

Definetely coming back soon to Elliot Lake.

Will ride tomorrow, before going back to the Sault.

post-22452-0-89368300-1356749461_thumb.jpg

thanks for the update. enjoy your ride today.

Friday: Dec. 28th Report - Elliot Lake

My favourite ride of the season, so far. Sunny -13. Trails were crisp.

Met several sledders on the trail today and had the opportunity to chat with 2 groups. Was very nice to see no one was in a rush and all appreciated the opportunity to have such nice trails to ride on and not tear them up. Powerline West, Elliot Lake Loop and Pecore Lake East all in nice shape. Elliot Lake North trail is not packed or groomed. Conditions may change as weekend traffic moves in.

I did not encounter any aggressive maniacs or Rooster Tail Idiots. Made for an enjoyable relaxing scenic day. Seen one Groomer out-and-about.

post-22452-0-98704600-1356749089_thumb.jpg

looks nice there...thx for update & pics

Looks like good conditions nice picture

Down 1 groomer right now, broken walking beam on the TM130 on Thursday. No new one available untill a week after new years. Going out tomorrow and take off the broken on and see if we can get it welded so we can get back at it.

Down 1 groomer right now, broken walking beam on the TM130 on Thursday. No new one available untill a week after new years. Going out tomorrow and take off the broken on and see if we can get it welded so we can get back

at it.

Did the drag get caught and cause it to break or is it just fatigued from flexing over time? How old is the unit?

Thanks ElliotGroomer for the wonderful trails and your non-stop dedication. I sure enjoyed my 2 day visit to your community. Can't wait to go back.

Hey Dan, Thanks for the Update. I will post your 2 pictures for other to see if thats ok. We havent groomerd yet... One I'm not in too much of a mood to groom as we have no loops to groom , 2 the club hours have been reduced so we need to save grooming hours.

Hey Groomer Guy,

Very nice to hear from you Luc. Yes, please feel free to post those photos to your BlogSite.

Its unfortunate to hear about the Trail Grooming Dilema in District 13. Sounds like Permit sales are way down this year, resulting in less revenue for the District.

Thanks for all your past suppoprt and tremendous dedication to snowmobiling in your region.

Perhaps in the long-run, there may be a viable solution. Hopeful!

Normally 9 of us ride through the Elliot Lake area in early February annually. That # will likely be 5 this year as some of the guys have packed it in. This appears to be a trend with others as well.

Will need to recruit new riders. Get a few of them off the couch / computer and move them outdoors onto a sled.

Keep in touch.

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Received this information from an Elliot Lake friend today (Tuesday - Jan. 15th) at 1:00 PM.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Elliot Lake has a good base but need fresh snow to cover the existing base. Light dusting so far. Base is still intact.

---------------------------------------------------

Perhaps ElliotGroomer has more details.

Thanks. Glad they survived the thaw.

• 2 weeks later...

We will be riding in Elliot Lake on Feb. 1st and 2nd weekend.

Day trip Saturday Feb. 2nd to Aubrey Falls.

If anyone is planning on riding that area on Feb. 1st-3rd weekend, feel free to PM me.

Will likely be at the Fireside Inn on Saturday night, if we can get a table. Usually a packed-house.

Received an email from Elliot Lake this morning, as follows:

"The trails are first class in Elliot Lake right now, probably the best along the North Shore"

Dan

Just a reminder that strong rumour persist that another roadblock by natives will occur for one day on Monday Jan 28th (no times given ) this time they say it again will be at east end of Sault , at corner where new highway 17 four lane starts , if it is like before they will close Highway 17b (the old way) and then roadblock the new way ...but rumour has it that no transports will be allowed thru this time, just cars and SUVs etc. So that will snarl any traffic trying to leave Sault going east only, and any traffic trying to get into Sault from East ....there is NO detour ( well there is if you take the four hour tour around ranger lake road way ) So just heads up

Update , the natives decided instead to protest downtown Sault on Jan 28th ....so no roadblock on highway now,., I am glad they thought it thru and changed their tactics.

We sure enjoyed our weekend in Elliot Lake including the opportunity to meet up with AC+YA and his group for breakfast. Was an absolute pleasure!

Also had the opportunity to stop in at the Fireside INN for Saturday night dinner.

Heading back to Elliot Lake again for Feb. 1st-2nd, 3rd weekend.

Archived