which 4 stroke to buy

4mysled

I am looking at upgrading my ride, not sure which to go with. Yamaha has the reliability from the past few year, but the newer 1200 4tech looks pretty sweet. Any comments woudl be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

4MY

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am looking at upgrading my ride, not sure which to go with. Yamaha has the reliability from the past few year, but the newer 1200 4tech looks pretty sweet. Any comments woudl be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

4MY

I bought the 2009 xr1200 tnt last year.I have had new doo's every 2yrs since1997,and this 4stroke is by far the best 1st. yr. sled ever from brp.It was my 1st. 4stroke and I just love it!

My ride before it was 2oo6mxzx800 p-tek!

Hope that helps,good luck!!

I've owned a couple of Yammy 4 strokes now, an 05 Vector and currently an 09 Nytro. I feel that my next sled will be a Skidoo 4 stroke.

While Yamaha's engines are arguably considered the best, that is only one part of a sled's anatomy. On both of my Yammy's, I've had to constantly tinker to get the sleds to ride right. Issues such as excessive slider wear, wheels delaminating, bearings toasted, hand warmer issues, suspension performance, subframe bending, stock ski performance, tunnel icing, overheating, track howl, bushings, and just out of the box stock performance is not acceptable in my opinion.

My cousin just bought bought a 2010 GSX1200 and I'll be keeping an eye on how it performs both performance and durability.

My opinion, go with the Skidoo.

I can't comment on the 1200 4tek.. I have no experence on one..But I have a 2007 Yammi 4 stroke with almost 7000kms and it has been great !! The only thing I have had to do on it is change the sliders once ! I would recommend you take a look at the 2010 Vector...Awsome sled !!! Has great fit and finish, awesome motor, great handling and reliable.. Don't believe everything that you read on the web...Some sleds have had there issues, but how bad are they ???? Is it the operator playing around with the sled causing the issues...Good luck with your decision, personally I don't believe you will go wrong with either 4 stroke ....

I'll give Grimm the "out of box" on the Yammie suspension...it needs to be tuned to the rider...next to that have 06 Nytro/09 Nytro and am very happy.

Don't, stay 2-stroke forever :rotflmao:

Nothin' and I mean nothin' like the smell of 2 stroke oil in sledding jacket at the end of the season, and smokey aroma when you fire her up in the mornin' that power band kickin in when you sometimes don't expect it..

2 stroke

Thanks

4MY

Cat ,Yammy and Doo all have relitively trouble free four strokes . The Yammy seems to need help with the handling and skid frame but once this is sorted out are bulletproof the doos and the cats seem to work out of the box . So far have not seen anything positive on the Polaris four strokes.

Thanks

4MY

Cat ,Yammy and Doo all have relitively trouble free four strokes . The Yammy seems to need help with the handling and skid frame but once this is sorted out are bulletproof the doos and the cats seem to work out of the box . So far have not seen anything positive on the Polaris four strokes.

I almost purchased a Polaris 4stroke as my first sled. I wise man talked me out of it and I changed my purchase to the Two-up Polaris touring. :banghead:

All in all, Polaris was not a good sled for me. The 500 Classic that Maple got was a good sled, but when engine components are tie wrapped on, and the dealer tells you to come back when he's ready, it was not a difficult decision to go Doo.

Thanks

4MY

I almost purchased a Polaris 4stroke as my first sled. I wise man talked me out of it and I changed my purchase to the Two-up Polaris touring. :banghead:

All in all, Polaris was not a good sled for me. The 500 Classic that Maple got was a good sled, but when engine components are tie wrapped on, and the dealer tells you to come back when he's ready, it was not a difficult decision to go Doo.

Who was your dealer ?

Nothin' and I mean nothin' like the smell of 2 stroke oil in sledding jacket at the end of the season, and smokey aroma when you fire her up in the mornin' that power band kickin in when you sometimes don't expect it..

2 stroke

I own the best of both worlds,lol, and each has it's good points and not so good points.After 7 yrs on 4-strokes I agree with the above post,,,even if it was posted in jest,,,, :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Thanks

4MY

Who was your dealer ?

It was Cycle World at the time in Toronto.

Thanks

4MY

Who was your dealer ?

And were are they now ?

Thanks

4MY

Who was your dealer ?

And were are they now ?

Out of Business.....

Thanks

4MY

Who was your dealer ?

And were are they now ?

Out of Business.....

Don't mess with the monkey !

2 stroke

While the 4 strokes are nice...I'll have to agree with what you said crackher. That first time I fire up the sled of the season on a cold day... brings on nostalgia.

Unfortunately, I think 2-strokes are going to be a thing of the past come ten years from now :(

Start stocking up now!!

2 stroke

While the 4 strokes are nice...I'll have to agree with what you said crackher. That first time I fire up the sled of the season on a cold day... brings on nostalgia.

Unfortunately, I think 2-strokes are going to be a thing of the past come ten years from now :(

Start stocking up now!!

Don't get me wrong.. I think those yammy's sound awesome, look awesome I rode one that is a couple years old and it still with minimal input has the feel of an amazing sled..i just don't know what it is...I Love that smell, that power band, nostaglia as you put it CjGaughan

The 4cyl Yamaha motor would be tough to beat.

I love mine!

heaven forbid,,,what will it cost for an overhaul/new engine????

I cannot say enough good things about my Apex. Slight push in the corners, but very controlled. Other then adjusting the air pressure in the Fox shock no other tinkering was required; turn the key and ride. :D

The 4cyl Yamaha motor would be tough to beat.

I love mine!

heaven forbid,,,what will it cost for an overhaul/new engine????

I have near 30 000 kms on my RX-1 & it runs like a top! Many guys running this motor in bikes are well over 100 000kms & in the bikes they rev them out waaaaay higher than you ever could in a sled. I know everyone likes to beat up the Yammy 4 strokes because they are heavy, but since all the majority of riders do is ride trail who really cares. If I had a 2-stroke I would probly be on my 3rd motor by now!

Yep, I've owned one of those polaris 4 strokes, all I'll say is it was the worst sledding experience I've ever had since riding in 1990. And that includes my 92 700wildcat efi. In 09 I bought 2 1200's and they are by far the best sleds we've ever owned. Both have 6000 miles on them and we are shooting to put another 10000 miles on them this year. If we had 2 strokes I would have to consider doing 2 overhauls at the end of this coming season-if not sooner. We also ride with some yamaha 4 strokes and I have nothing bad to say about them either, other than they seem to complain a bit about the handling but overall they love them too.

Ive owned a 4 stroke sled since 9/02 and I will say the Rx-1 was a turd. Spent a lot of time and money changing and adjusting, and when I sold it it was still a turd. My Apex is the exact opposite. It is the first sled I have ever owned that made it the first season totally stock. Everything I have done to it has made it better with the exception of the AC tether I installed that went bad while riding in Wyoming. I do have a 2 stroke backup sled (I like to push my limits when riding) and am planning on finding a wrecked Apex to replace it with unless Skidooboy's M8 proves to be a sweet enough ride to have as a backup sled. I like changing the oil once a year in the comfort of my garage wheen I feel like it, I like pulling up to the pump and putting whatever is cheapest into the tank even if that means getting free 50/50 gas/diesel from some poor soul who grabbed the wrong pump handle. I like knowing that my first valve adjustment will be need about the time I replace my tunnel for the second time, and I don't miss having to carry oil and spark plugs everywhere I go.

Good luck with the decision.

I just bought my first 4 stroke, 2010 Cat Sno Pro. After riding 2 strokes forever I am more excited about this sled than any other I have bought. It cost more than any of my previous sleds and I have spent more on it after the purchase than any of those. Before this I had an 07 F1000 SP, 05 F7 SP, 03 ZR900. I have always liked the sound and response of the 2 stroke, but I think the future is with the 4 strokes and this is the first year I was willing to make the leap. It will be nice not to have to carry oil on those Ontario tours we do. I'll post my reaction to the performance and handling once I get a chance to try it out here in the future.

Ride safe and hope for a long season.

in my opinion,if 4-strokes are to be the driving force of sledding,they will need to come up with a way to make the whole package lighter,and not by 20 pounds,a lot more,and nimble, :mrgreen: I love 4-strokes,been driving one since 2002,,,and still own one.I love it for all the same reasons,albeit opposite,that I love a 2-stroke sled.I call it the beauty and the beast,the beast is raw power,rough at idle,rail like handling,easy to launch and land,all raw,beauty on the other hand is smooth,refined,big power band,controlled acceleration,planted on the trail,,,,,,,

:mrgreen::mrgreen:

I have rode 25,000 miles on 4-strokes,and the last 500 miles on a 2-stroke has made me realize that I was missing a ride,that only a 2-stroke can give,but I also know that the manufacturers had to step up the efficiency of their 2-strokes,and they have done that.It is nice to have both,,,, :mrgreen:

Archived