Trailer decision

John mills

7 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Do they have a slightly lower optional windshield if needed

Yes they do.  Personally that's way too much windshield for my liking, you always get turbulence behind you freezing the back of your neck.  I have a Tall windshield (rather than the standard Medium) and it's perfect for me.  Any higher and I'd freeze the back of my neck.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you guys, will keep my eyes open.

Started putting lattice down in my son’s new NEO trailer. 

Still a great & cheap way to go. 

6B8CDAFD-9688-4D13-A523-A3C7FE1418D1.jpeg

D5108A51-FCDA-409D-97C5-317BC8B81F1A.jpeg

5850AE11-B465-4B53-8583-54E37F03925F.jpeg

12 minutes ago, AC+YA said:

Perhaps you have a lot of toys? I see what appears to be a double sled trailer on each side of this one and looking from the inside of the trailer in the last pic I see a double seadoo trailer.

2 hours ago, AC+YA said:

980528C6-05C8-4838-B3A5-EC53FE9DF000.thumb.jpeg.b62a887d686bf46e8d8c0d4f902d99cc.jpeg

Nice job thanks for the idea 

3 hours ago, 1049 said:

980528C6-05C8-4838-B3A5-EC53FE9DF000.thumb.jpeg.b62a887d686bf46e8d8c0d4f902d99cc.jpeg

Looks good Mark.  Sometimes at the transition I add some additional material to make sure the skis never cut into the trailer.  On Graham's trailer I may try another sheet of plastic just before and after the hinge to protect the transition area by raising the carbide that much more.  I will put a strait edge across to see if when the ramp drops farther say into a low spot or the trailer rides higher onto packed snow or ice what might happen.  I have needed that on my big 33' inline trailer and you don't even feel it when riding through the trailer.

I hated when the carbides tore the wood and it felt like you hit the brakes as you dug into the ramp.  Can't miss this no mater where you are on the ramp.

Nice trailer!

Thanks, and can't say enough about the lattice trick.

I did the whole floor, ramp, and used the leftover for the walls. Once you get the sled in, you can just sort of slide it around. 

I wound up putting track on the ramp, and 1/4" rubber flooring from Princess for traction. Dang, even with the thin stuff, that door is HEAVY. 

Pics to come... I'm sure I too some, but can't find them.

P_20180912_174322.jpg

Yup. Rona gave me a great deal. When I discovered it was $52 a sheet, I balked.

It worked.

5 sheets.

24 minutes ago, manotickmike said:

Yup. Rona gave me a great deal. When I discovered it was $52 a sheet, I balked.

It worked.

5 sheets.

Looks like your white lattice has a solid border around it. I've never seen that before, have only seen the same type as the dark lattice in the other trailer. Is the style with the border commonly available or special order?

2 hours ago, AC+YA said:

Looks good Mark.  Sometimes at the transition I add some additional material to make sure the skis never cut into the trailer.  On Graham's trailer I may try another sheet of plastic just before and after the hinge to protect the transition area by raising the carbide that much more.  I will put a strait edge across to see if when the ramp drops farther say into a low spot or the trailer rides higher onto packed snow or ice what might happen.  I have needed that on my big 33' inline trailer and you don't even feel it when riding through the trailer.

I hated when the carbides tore the wood and it felt like you hit the brakes as you dug into the ramp.  Can't miss this no mater where you are on the ramp.

Nice trailer!

Thanks for the advice Scott

2 hours ago, AC+YA said:

Nice trailer!

I use a piece of black plastic drain pipe laid in the gap between the floor of the trailer and the ramp. The skis and the carbides run up and over without catching the edges since it's round.

2 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Looks like your white lattice has a solid border around it. I've never seen that before, have only seen the same type as the dark lattice in the other trailer. Is the style with the border commonly available or special order?

It's what they had in stock. I believe the fine mesh stuff has the border, not the more open mesh. 

If you go this route, get a countersink bit, and buy LOTS of screws. I think I got through 400. That included the sides, and the rubber matting and the slides. 

I installed the lattice, and 2 days later, when it went 25c, I used a bunch more screws to flatten the bumps as it expanded.

Question regarding the lattice setup....for those that run studs, can they not stick through the opening in the lattice and contact the floor or is the thickness of the lattice greater than the amount the studs penetrate beyond the lug on the track?

It is also hard to tell, but I do not see any screws securing the lattice down - how is it secured to the floor, ramps & walls?

I agree, I think it is a great idea! 

18 hours ago, manotickmike said:

Screws, lots of screws.

The studs don't reach the floor, at least not that I can tell.

The studs on the plastic take the load and thus the ones over the openings never touch.

I have gotten little marks and scratches, but my 2003 trailer still has the original lattice.  We use it lots.

What a brilliant idea, I love it:right_on:

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/9/2018 at 8:40 AM, 02Sled said:

I don't have a picture. With the ramp down I have a fairly wide gap depending on the angle. I have 2 pieces of the black drain pipe. Each is 5 ft. long. One is the 2 inch plastic pipe you would find on a kitchen sink and the other is the 4 inch you would use for a toilet. If the ramp angle is slight because the end is sitting on built up snow I use the 2 inch. If it's steeper I use the 4 inch. Depends on the size of the gap that your trailer has. The 5 ft. length makes it easy to stow in the trailer and move around versus having an 8 ft. length. It's also cheap.

Thanks going to grab a couple pieces of 2" i am tired of my carbides catching especially while unloading

6 hours ago, RT Performance said:

Thanks going to grab a couple pieces of 2" i am tired of my carbides catching especially while unloading

I simply cut a piece of 3/4" plywood the same width as the gap between the ramp and the body and glued/stapled a piece of 1/8 ply on top of that (just wider to cover metal from trailer)  so it overhangs over the metal lip of where i was also getting caught on.  just put it in when you load/unload your sleds.  it has been working for me for a few years now.

Archived