2013-2014 permits

X dooer

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Id like to know why its 7.50 postage and handling....isn't a stamp around 50 cents? where does the other 7 bucks go?..... I'd be happy with even a buck p&h.....if you buy a permit through a club they don't charge "handing fees"

Do you ever buy concert tickets of game tickets through Ticketmaster? Then you know they charge a service charge. The $ 7.50 covers credit card charges and shipping. Plus a small profit for handling. When you buy direct from a club they absorbed these charges, which they shouldn't have to.

Wildman,

I understand that ffc is tough to understand. Not only for snowmobilers but also for club executives. As example, if district 13 what is one permit selling entity is selling 1000 permits of $210, there permit sales is $210,000 and the clubs get $63,000. The equalization money for the district is $76x Kms and $62 x grooming hours and 10% of the sales. Say that is $500,000. Then the equalization money for the district is $500,000 - $63.000 = $437,000 + $21,000 = $458,000. Total money for the clubs and districts is $458,000 + $63,000 = $521,000. If they did any permit sales, they would get still $500,000. So the difference is only $21,000 what is the 10% of the permit sales.

Thanks,

Greg

like I said, you twist things around, using your example here, if the entity sells permits, they really get 40% of the permit money, they get the initial 30% + an additional 10% =  40%

you have now proven it is important to buy where you ride :arsehole:

Id like to know why its 7.50 postage and handling....isn't a stamp around 50 cents? where does the other 7 bucks go?..... I'd be happy with even a buck p&h.....if you buy a permit through a club they don't charge "handing fees"

It's not delivered via Canada post, no 50 cent stamp.  Last year mine came FedEx, signature required.  This way there won't be any scammers looking for replacments that were "lost in the mail" when it's really on my buddies sled.

It's not delivered via Canada post, no 50 cent stamp.  Last year mine came FedEx, signature required.  This way there won't be any scammers looking for replacments that were "lost in the mail" when it's really on my buddies sled.

The 7.50 covers only mail, it is another ten bucks to get it sent via courier with a sig. required. The 7.50 goes to the clearing house, not the ofsc, the club gets billed the cc charges so they lose revenue on that end. BTW they charge 7.50 per permit which is a rip off, as they will be sent in the same package. Last year they offered free shipping and handling, and if you placed two permits on the same orderr they billed for the secons, however if you placed a seperate order for each permit they were both shipped free. Seems to me they are all over the map with this online system but one thing for sure, if that clearing house processes 40k permits at 7.50 each they are making a crap load of money for very little work.

The 7.50 covers only mail, it is another ten bucks to get it sent via courier with a sig. required. The 7.50 goes to the clearing house, not the ofsc, the club gets billed the cc charges so they lose revenue on that end. BTW they charge 7.50 per permit which is a rip off, as they will be sent in the same package. Last year they offered free shipping and handling, and if you placed two permits on the same orderr they billed for the secons, however if you placed a seperate order for each permit they were both shipped free. Seems to me they are all over the map with this online system but one thing for sure, if that clearing house processes 40k permits at 7.50 each they are making a crap load of money for very little work.

In the "Did you know" category...

.. That last year, for each permit sold online prior to Dec 1, the club was charged $5 for shipping as well as $6 for every permit sold online as a "Convenience Fee"??

So that is how your "Free Shipping" was paid for!

As for "a crap load of money for very little work", consider that 3% of $180 is $5.40 (bank fees for CC), postage will be $.63.  That leaves $1.47 for manpower to actually register the purchase (assign serial numbers from the permit, enter in database, etc) and cover all of the expenses of running a business.  That is a total of $58,800 to cover a month's payroll, and make a bit of profit.  I don't find that an exorbitant amount, IMO.

The free handling last year would have been an OFSC initiative where they would have absorbed the cost at some level. $7.50 in todays economy sure doesn't go far.You can multiply that $7.50 by as many times as you want. When you figure in their operating costs and initial investment cost it would be staggering in most peoples minds. Technology isn't cheap. Last year just before Christmas I received 4 skids of communications equipment, switches firewalls etc. Cost $1M and that was highly discounted by the seller to make year end numbers. Last month I spent $13K on fibre optic patch cables and $5K on copper patch cables. I'll bet their rent alone is in the vicinity of $50K a month or more.

To fit out a 15,000 sq. ft. data centre in an existing 30,000 sq. ft. building is about a $25M investment at least. I'll wager their communications costs are in the vicinity of $75K per month. Still think $7.50 is a lot of money.... oh don't forget utilities, staff, insurance and so much more. Oh don't forget that $7.50 would include 13% HST

the u.s residents also have to pay a cc fee for currency conversion from u.s to canuck bux (billed on our cards), on top of the 7.50 fee. at that point, we might as well wait, buy our permits from our normal smaller clubs (ie: dubreuilville, wawa) and give the clubs the extra money directly.

plus, read the fine print. this is what akron was talking about. another reason to buy direct from the local club. Ski

What are the Processing and Shipping fees?

Unless otherwise noted we apply a nominal charge per permit for the processing and handling of your online permit order. This fee includes standard shipping to Canadian addresses via Canada Post. Please note that standard shipping is not tracked and the purchaser accepts full responsibility for any lost or undelivered permits.

The following additional shipping options are available:

• Registered Shipping – For added peace of mind customers may choose the Registered Shipping option at the time of purchase. This service is available to Canadian postal addresses for a supplemental fee of $10.00 per order. Permits are shipped using Canada Post’s registered service requiring signature on delivery.
  • US Shipping – Permit orders requiring delivery to US addresses are shipped by courier and are subject to a supplemental fee of $20.00 per order.

if it gets lost in the mail the recipient is responsible for the loss. = AWESOME!!!! AND TOTALLY UNTRUE....  when a package is shipped the reciever is not the party that paid, and has the contract with the delivery entity when it was shipped. THE SHIPPER HAS THE CONTRACT WITH THE DELIVERY ENTITY!!!! dont believe me? try to get a package that was to be delivered to you and lost, covered by the shipper. THE DELIVERY ENTITY WILL TELL YOU TO CONTACT THE SHIPPER BECAUSE THEY DO NOT HAVE A CONTRACT WITH YOU.  Ski

so in effect the ffc does not help the U.S resident tourist at all, for any early bird price savings, after they added the 7.50 handling, and 20.00 shipping fees on to our permit pricing. we save a whopping 2.50. and when the cc vendor bills us for currency conversion, we will actually pay more than the advertized pricing. the exchange rate is about 3% on our side now but, everyone treats it like par so, that becomes a non issue.  Ski

I ordered mine this  morning.  One regular, one classic.  Only paid one shipping cost.

Seasonal Permit $180.00 Processing (Incl. STD Shipping) $7.50 Classic Permit $140.00 Processing (Incl. STD Shipping) $0.00 Total $327.50

I ordered mine this  morning.  One regular, one classic.  Only paid one shipping cost.

Seasonal Permit $180.00 Processing (Incl. STD Shipping) $7.50 Classic Permit $140.00 Processing (Incl. STD Shipping) $0.00 Total $327.50

You only had to pay shipping on the $180 permit. The Classic permit "processing" costs are passed on to the Club to pay just like when you buy a regular $210 permit.

In the "Did you know" category...

.. That last year, for each permit sold online prior to Dec 1, the club was charged $5 for shipping as well as $6 for every permit sold online as a "Convenience Fee"??

So that is how your "Free Shipping" was paid for!

As for "a crap load of money for very little work", consider that 3% of $180 is $5.40 (bank fees for CC), postage will be $.63.  That leaves $1.47 for manpower to actually register the purchase (assign serial numbers from the permit, enter in database, etc) and cover all of the expenses of running a business.  That is a total of $58,800 to cover a month's payroll, and make a bit of profit.  I don't find that an exorbitant amount, IMO.

Wrong, the club gets billed for the cc charges and the clearing house gets the 7.50 less postage and envelope costs. As for manpoer, a bunch of kids stuffing envelops for min. wage is not a very high  cost per order they can do 20 an hour at a cost of about 50 cents per. So lets now make that number more accurate, about 6 buck per permit after payroll costs...that adds up to about 300k for that two months of work.. nice deal on the backs of clubs that could have done this themselves online for the price of the cc transactions that they are already paying, offset by the trans fee.

Interesting, I was billed for both.. looks like they have a pretty screwed up system...Same order for me was 335.00, not a big deal but very odd.

You only had to pay shipping on the $180 permit. The Classic permit "processing" costs are passed on to the Club to pay just like when you buy a regular $210 permit.

I would hope that they do not pass the cost of my classic processing onto my club as I was billed for it. I will need to look into that.

So it's going to cost me $7.50 to save $30?

Wish all my in investments were paying that well...

It's $7.50 guys, suck it up... It would have cost me that much in gas to drive to the closest place my club sells permits at... Most of us spend more than that on a liter of oil for our sleds...

I haven't looked into buying on line yet. Is the permit shipped by mail? Does someone have to sign for it? Earlier post was Fed Ex was deliverying them but is that the deal or option with a higher cost? If no one is there to sign do you have to pick it up somewhere? What happens if the permit doesn't arrive ( unlikely but possible) Will decide where to buy when I get this confirmed. Please and thanks

I believe that they are shipped by regular mail, so you don't have to be home or sign for it.  You can add registered mail for an extra $ 10.00.  As for, if the permit doesn't arrive or lost by regular mail I would think that they would replace it but not sure.  I remember reading somewhere when I was purchasing mine online that depending on volume of sales you may not receive the permit until early december, and if you don't receive it by then to contact them.  In previous years I would always fax my application to my club (as it was 3 hours north of where i live) and they would then mail my permit back to me.  It was always sent by regular mail and I always got it every year.

I haven't looked into buying on line yet. Is the permit shipped by mail? Does someone have to sign for it? Earlier post was Fed Ex was deliverying them but is that the deal or option with a higher cost? If no one is there to sign do you have to pick it up somewhere? What happens if the permit doesn't arrive ( unlikely but possible) Will decide where to buy when I get this confirmed. Please and thanks

I believe that they are shipped by regular mail, so you don't have to be home or sign for it.  You can add registered mail for an extra $ 10.00.  As for, if the permit doesn't arrive or lost by regular mail I would think that they would replace it but not sure.  I remember reading somewhere when I was purchasing mine online that depending on volume of sales you may not receive the permit until early december, and if you don't receive it by then to contact them.  In previous years I would always fax my application to my club (as it was 3 hours north of where i live) and they would then mail my permit back to me.  It was always sent by regular mail and I always got it every year.

if both of you will read post 59, the middle portion is a direct cut and paste from the ofsc permit buying FAQ. it answers you questions. and your assumptions.

Ski

I had saw on post 55 that Fed Ex was used so that is why I had questioned that. Post 59 says that the OFSC will not be responsible for lost permits or undeliverable permits. Getting in a p_$$__g match with the OFSC and Canada post is not going to be worth it. Also the lead time for their arrival is quite a bit.

if both of you will read post 59, the middle portion is a direct cut and paste from the ofsc permit buying FAQ. it answers you questions. and your assumptions.

Ski

You will have to do a police report and replace it as a lost or stolen permit.

I am not blaming the OFSC for permit prices at all .I would just like my portion to go to the club I choose.

The value of the permit is far better than other forms of entertainment

So it's going to cost me $7.50 to save $30?

Wish all my in investments were paying that well...

It's $7.50 guys, suck it up... It would have cost me that much in gas to drive to the closest place my club sells permits at... Most of us spend more than that on a liter of oil for our sleds...

but if you an American you save $2.50 on the $210 permit, as on top of the $7.50 you also have to pay $20, so $27.50 + 180 = $207.50

I know a few that avoid this by just getting it sent to a Canadian friend/address

Wrong, the club gets billed for the cc charges and the clearing house gets the 7.50 less postage and envelope costs. As for manpoer, a bunch of kids stuffing envelops for min. wage is not a very high  cost per order they can do 20 an hour at a cost of about 50 cents per. So lets now make that number more accurate, about 6 buck per permit after payroll costs...that adds up to about 300k for that two months of work.. nice deal on the backs of clubs that could have done this themselves online for the price of the cc transactions that they are already paying, offset by the trans fee.

The Club does not get billed the cc charges.

Those charges are covered in the $7.50 fulfillment fee.

Archived