What to do when sledders catch up to you on the trails!

Evil

When sledders catch up to you on the trails!  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do when a group of sledders catches up to you on the trail?

• Do you pull over or slow down and wave them thru to pass you?
    • Do you wait till you get to a stop and then allow them to go ahead?
    • Do you make them stay behind you forever?

Just curious what you guys think!

Riding in Quebec this weekend we catch up to a group of 8 guys. 2 guys wave us by and we get behind another 6 (realizing after the 2 that waved us through were not part of the group of 6 now infront of us)

We're pretty patient, so we stay behind this group although really wanted to get by them since they weren't traveling at the same speed that we drive. We crossed many roads and the group knew we were behind them yet chose to not allow us by.

After 25-30 miles we get to a field where the trail passes through, so Mr. Evil takes the opportunity to pass these guys....none of them slow down in fact i'm sure they sped up. When I get an opportunity I pass 2 guys in front of me, I'm sure the last guy sped up trying to make it difficult for me to pass. I realized the trail narrows so I slow down so that the guy in front of me can go through the narrow part, he sees me in his mirror, he's to the right of the trail but I stay behind him because of the narrow trail and markers ahead, he goes through the narrow part and the trail opens up again (were still in field) so I pass the remaining guys except for 2 as they had just crossed the road and were behind Mr. Evil , he was waiting for me, instead of allowing me to get ahead of them, they take off infront of Mr. Evil.

We continue down the trail for a couple of miles...........lucky me, I blew a belt. So I pulled over and waited for Mr. Evil to return to where I was. The group remaining passes me and one guy gestures with his hands like ha ha! (no biggy)

We get the belt changed and we end up catching up to this group again. They had just pulled over on the side of the trail maybe 10 miles from where I changed belts. We pull up beside them to see what their problem was. One guy kept saying to Mr. Evil "You're a great driver, yup your awesome" Being very sarcastic obviously. I say to the guy, look, why didnt you guys just let us go by? Of course he doesn't answer.......he then says I ran one of their buddies off the trail..........as I stated above I did no such thing. We exchanged words,..........mine more colourful than his! Couldn't help it, I was ticked!

So here's my question......we patiently follow these guys for minimum 25 miles................we get the chance to pass safely so we do.................then were the a-holes????? Really?

Just curious, what would you guys do? I personally don't like having other sledders behind me (doesn't happen often---it's true!) but if it does then they are obviously driving faster than me so I let them pass me since I don't like to get pushed and I can drive the speed that I want and I'm comfortable with. Why should I be their speed control?

Lets hear your thoughts!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just move to the middle of the trail and slowly slow down. Then it is a guessing game which side they try to pass on. Lol. I hate it when you let speed demons pass and then find them blocking the trail ahead of you having a beer and a smoke. Then they end up back on your ass again.

If I have sledders catch up to me, I'll pull over ASAP where it's safe for them to pass me.

I've never had to follow sledders more than a couple of miles. The worst offenders are the slow pokes w/ mirrors. How they don't know you're behind them I don't know.

BTW, if any of you have ever owned a red Formula Plus & the wife had a red Citation LS & ridden between Parry Sound & Ardbeg, it was my buddy that roosted you after I gave up trying to pass you :mad::evil: .

had a couple with kids in front of them...not lettin us pass...had mirrors,,,so they seen us...& we didn't push,,,but really

I just move to the middle of the trail and slowly slow down. Then it is a guessing game which side they try to pass on. Lol. I hate it when you let speed demons pass and then find them blocking the trail ahead of you having a beer and a smoke. Then they end up back on your ass again.

Wow, so every person that catches up to you smokes and drinks beer on the trail? Interesting!

Well I don't smoke or drink while riding.......................................................... But thanks for stereotyping!

I love Quebec trails. They are a proud bunch over there and stuborn at times. What gets to me is the people that have mirrors and dont use them or choose to ignore. I will usually wait until they notice me. If times goes by and no effort to wave me through, I will pass as soon as safe. Probably at full throdle.

If times goes by and no effort to wave me through, I will pass as soon as safe. Probably at full throdle.

No wonder sledders think there are a lot of idiots on the trails!

JK ;-)

I would do the same.

They were from Ontario it was free weekend in Quebec, they asked me what part of Southern Ontario I was from! I'm not really sure how to take that, but told them I'm a Northern Girl!

Haha, I guess Ontarians are proud and stuborn too. Sounds like it was a busy weekend in an area that I really have seen alot of traffic. I hope the trails are smooth for next weekend.

It's too bad that there's inconsiderate riders on trails that make for dangerous situations, riding in the middle of the trail to block faster riders or speeding up not to let them pass ( and even drinking ) neither are good ideas, we don't own the trails if we decide to ride fast or ride slow or ride the speed limit it's the persons choice just stay to right of the trail and have a safe fun ride.

You need another poll catagory -allow to pass safely as soon as possible given the trail and conditions.

In a windy trail this may not be immediate in a wide open trail it can be. I miss the old cat afs sleds with the rubber bumper you could give them a bunt.

I followed a bunch today with no mirrors , narrow trails and couldnt get by, they were signaling to oncoming riders that they were last in line as they didnt know I was there , please buy a mirror sometime soon

2 weeks ago I caught up to & passed 2 riders (riding together) that were so far to the left @ times, I could've passed them on the right. They were riding together & I passed them 1 @ a time. I was following the leader fairly close & he kept looking @ his mirror which was on the LH side. I'm pretty sure I was in his blind spot most of the time & I only got by him when he stopped @ an intersection & looked back (probably for his buddy).

I have a glove mirror. it works amazing. We never have anyone come up on us, but at least you can see if one of your followers is missing before you get 20 miles ahead.

I'm with you Evil. Normally someone doesn't catch up to us. But the rare time anyone has I have pulled over in a safe spot and waved them past. In all honesty majority of people which I have caught up with have pulled over and waved us on or slowed down enough and stayed right in a wide open spot so that we could pass safely. Sounds to me like the people you encountered were just a$$ hats. They figure they own the trail and should play traffic control I guess. Dumb in my opinion but if that turns them on go for it.

-Install a horn

-Flash your highbeams as they do when they want to pass in Europe. You can also use this to warn oncoming sledders to slow down for a dead animal on the trail etc.

always allow people to pass if they catch up to me, usually on the venture with the wife, that being said there has been many occasions of catching up to people in the trails, some wave around some don't look at all and some will speed up, then theres the one that suddenly take the middle trail and won't let anyone pass at all, ones that don't look get passed usually at a stop sign or somewhere it's safe, the ones that take the middle get a shock i will come through and have zero issues with the roost and driving you right into the ditch where you belong

I will pull over when able to and signal them to pass, then John waits for me at the next safest sport for him.

Geeezz, you guys must be old and slow if people are catching up to you. Even STG does not have people catch up to him...

Archived