Rockies Restaurant in Sudbury

weapon02

I was there about a month ago and it was closed.

The woman looking after the gas said it would be open by mid Feb.

Also the trail in from the C was a mess. Does anyone know if it has improved?

We are not big on lake running.

Thanks

I was there about a month ago and it was closed.

The woman looking after the gas said it would be open by mid Feb.

Also the trail in from the C was a mess. Does anyone know if it has improved?

We are not big on lake running.

Thanks

Its now open, Renos complete, The C trail was in exelent shape this past weekend,

Lake is also staked as well.

Thanks Rich.

I was in the group that stayed in your 3 bedroom last week.

We had a great time.

I really like that cottage.

The trails were in great shape.

We will buy our permits next year from your area.

Thanks Rich.

I was in the group that stayed in your 3 bedroom last week.

We had a great time.

I really like that cottage.

The trails were in great shape.

We will buy our permits next year from your area.

Glad you had a great weekend, we rode 330 k home on monday & never met a sled.

One groomer & 5 moose.

Looks like a repeat for this weekend, perfect weather & a little more snow as well,

Rich

That's a good haul.

We rode from Sudbury (Chateau Gay) to 3 Bears and back a couple of years ago in one day and swore we wouldn't do that again.

We left mid morning and got back at around 3 am.

Got side tracked on the way home late at night on the big lake with open water and had to go around past the Sportsman's Lodge.

The crazy part was as we were close to getting back the lights from every small town looked like we were home but no.

How was the new C going to 3 Bears?

That lake can be fun at night...cross in the am could be good, come back there could be a 1-4ft pressure ridge....about 15yrs ago a buddie and I spend Hrs out there just from leaving Rockie's running down to west bay,blinding snow storm,we know the lake but had to park it and ride out the snow.

Haven't been on "c" for a couple of weeks, we rode it before the groomer. From what we saw it will be a great trail compared to a plowed Sandy Lake Rd.

I was up that way a few years ago...that Lake Wanipitea (sp) is huge! I remember coming upon it on the north shore line and had to ride up hill about 10 feet to get to the ice suface. A really weird feeling...never encountered that before. Does that always happen there?

Was on Wahapatei on Feb. 11 and it was perfect. Very smooth and staked, but it can change and develop pressure ridges quickly.

I've heard the C trail reroute heading to Gowganda/Shining Tree is quite good, will be up there within a week or two for sure. Urs from Gowganda (Auld Reekie Lodge), 3 Bears guys and volunteers from Sudbury did a great job at getting that reroute done so quickly, or we would have been pooched for running north from Sudbury.

Weather holding in Sudbury around freezing the next couple of days with some snow. Fortunately not super warm with rain.

Safe riding everyone! Get out there!

The stake line has a large open pressure crack that is about 15 feet across as of Wed. this week. You can avoid it if coming onto the lake from Ella lake or the park and exiting at Ella. It is passable but if you do not like crossing open water then it may be best to avoid it. Rocky's is open, but hours are from 10-6.

Trail through the pressure crack has been rerouted.

Still have to watch, lake changes by the hour.

I was up that way a few years ago...that Lake Wanipitea (sp) is huge! I remember coming upon it on the north shore line and had to ride up hill about 10 feet to get to the ice suface. A really weird feeling...never encountered that before. Does that always happen there?

Try riding the other way and dropping 6 feet at 80+ lol, unreal feeling, you see the shore about 100yrds away not thinking the ice will drop like that :)

FB, or others from the area, do you know what causes that?

It doesn't appear to be a 'normal' pressure crack and it seems to be rather consistent (location wise) year to year. It was 'only' a couple of feet this year when I was there early February.

If you are talking about the one at the north shore, yes it is in the same place every year.

The drop is where the river is flowing into the big lake.

This time of year Hydro starts dropping the water level to allow for runoff into the lake from the north.

On either side of the dip is all sand.

I have come across there and seen a dip of 10+ feet.

The other cracks on the lake generally occur within 100 yards of the same place evey year.

I have spent a lot of time on that lake during the winter but never in the summer.

I was involved in the first marking of the lake a LONG time ago.

Archived