Quick Ride to Halfway Haven with Pictures

AC+YA

Last weekend we decided to go see if Steve and Gail really went South or not ?

Graham, Kip, and I started from Dubreuilville and took the F Trail to Chapleau. Along the way we stopped in at Ernie's for a great burger and topped off with fuel.

The F had been opened up all the way to Dalton by The Groomer Guy with the help of some others from Dub. The Arctic Watershed Club had run all the way to Dalton from Chapleau and packed their part of the trail weeks earlier.

The ride was fantastic with the new snows since packing, the trail was like a dream! In Chapleau, the trails were better than I can ever remember. They were wide and flat. The only way to improve these trails would be to make them longer! I never stopped to take pictures of the around town trails, but I should have.

Staying at Valentine's, we left town wondering what we would come across on the trail to 1/2way.

It turned out to be lots of snow, 4 down trees, and 5 not bad water crossings. The folding saw did the trick and we had a blast getting stuck only one time. Snow was from 2 to 4 feet depending where and really pretty.

A thanks to a couple guys who saw our tracks start west toward 1/2way and thought it must be people thinking they can get gas out there. They followed our tracks part way until they decided to turn back because of fuel. We came upon them and had a good talk.

We went back to White River Sunday Night and got caught in the freezing rain and rain on Monday morning. Before we left, it had gone back to snow in Dub.

Fun trip!

IMG_0857.jpg

IMG_0854.jpg

IMG_0851.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0783.jpg

IMG_0785.jpg

IMG_0788.jpg

IMG_0789.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_0796.jpg

IMG_0799.jpg

IMG_0801.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

IMG_0806.jpg

IMG_0804.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0812.jpg

IMG_0813.jpg

IMG_0815.jpg

IMG_0820.jpg

IMG_0824.jpg

IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_0836.jpg

IMG_0838.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg

nice pics...looks like they got all of ont's snow

Many yrs ago my chumm lost his glasses while getting loose when climbing the hill at the corner in your pic.

.... and then proceeded to find them! Faint.gif

Looks like that hill could use another foot at least, but we've climbed it like that before.

Last pic Jeep Lake?

Looks like a good time, I would love to just once ride in fresh snow like that :(

Many yrs ago my chumm lost his glasses while getting loose when climbing the hill at the corner in your pic.

.... and then proceeded to find them! Faint.gif

Looks like that hill could use another foot at least, but we've climbed it like that before.

Last pic Jeep Lake?

Ox,

The lake is Peewee Lake along the trail about 6 miles south of Jeep Lake. In past years it was where many cut across to skip rounding the entire lake.

nice pics and story scott. powder is making me jealous. you got there before the first warm up and rains. pure power riding will be done now. i will get my fill next week in togwotee. we leave friday. we should be up in the wawa dub area the last weekend in feb. might try some areas in hornepayne we havent been to in years.

scott, you need one or two of these. beats the hell out of a small hand saw. http://pocketchainsaw.com/ made in michigan too!

or you can get the same saw through cat part number 4639-979 they are about 35bux. between that and the sandvik, they make quick work of brush, and bigger trees. ski

Hey Revrnd is it east to get to Wild Bill's from the Jolly roger ? (We don't get out much ). I have a riding partner who wants to know EXACTLY where he's going . (pain in the ass ) but I'm related !

The chainsaw is very similar to the ones that I have from Princess Auto $16.99, I think.

post-19781-0-79352700-1327894148_thumb.jpgCool pics. Talk about breaking trail. I've got a Fiskars folding saw that I found a few years ago near Kap'. http://www.fiskars.c...ing-Pruning-Saw

I've ridden the "Budd Car" from Sudbury to White River both in the summer and winter. A nice relaxed way to see the Canadian wilderness.

Ox,

The lake is Peewee Lake along the trail about 6 miles south of Jeep Lake. In past years it was where many cut across to skip rounding the entire lake.

Here is my favorite Pee Wee pic:

PeeWee2.jpg

You don't see it, but there is a good foot of snow on the ground.

I used a Fiskars 10" folding saw. I checked the links Ski and Rev. I hope to limit the cutting of large trees.

The beginning of next season, I will be better prepared for breaking trails. We may try to run south from Anjigami Lake to Halfway later this year if the F trail running south out of Chapleau opens up. I would run down to Flame Lake to spend a night and bypass Chapleau.

The warm weather keeps coming, so we are heading up to Hearst and around the loop through Chapleau this weekend since I got an Email back from TATA saying the C101F will be opening as soon as today or at least this week. My first visit to Timmins this year resulted in back tracking around the top on A trail because we are based out of Dubreuilville this year. No snow south!

Scott

Here is my favorite Pee Wee pic: PeeWee2.jpg You don't see it, but there is a good foot of snow on the ground. .

You on 4 wheeler?

You on 4 wheeler?

We were two-up on this snowmachine in the pic.

Doo you recognize it at all?

Since we had just dug the machine out of mothballs two hours earlier, and the fact that the lake wasn't quite "tight" yet, we opted to go around it this time.

KittyAtPeeWeeLake.jpg

We were two-up on this snowmachine in the pic.

Doo you recognize it at all?

Since we had just dug the machine out of mothballs two hours earlier, and the fact that the lake wasn't quite "tight" yet, we opted to go around it this time.

KittyAtPeeWeeLake.jpg

This is almost the exact picture I took. I can see the tree in mine and of course the power line tower over the hill.

scott, the hand chain saw is super small. it cuts though a 10" log in about 30 seconds. would be alot nicer, easier, and faster than the small hand saw. if you get a HUGE log you need to cut, you have two people work the chain like a double buck saw, and make short easy work of it.

i know we dont like to make a habit of cutting big stuff but, when you need to, instead of turning around these are nice. ski

scott, the hand chain saw is super small. it cuts though a 10" log in about 30 seconds. would be alot nicer, easier, and faster than the small hand saw. if you get a HUGE log you need to cut, you have two people work the chain like a double buck saw, and make short easy work of it.

i know we dont like to make a habit of cutting big stuff but, when you need to, instead of turning around these are nice. ski

Thanks Ski,

I will get one because I could have used it a few times this year already.

Like you said, it is small and easy to carry.

Have a great time out West!

Scott

Hey Ski - I just checked your link, and I am pretty darn sure that I have one of those saws squirreled away in my sled somewhere too! LOL!

Never used it tho, just have for our one riding chumm "Justin Case".

(A cousin to Murphy Law)

Maybe need to dig it out and top it in the rig when heading into known pull-down territory eh?

Usually the axe goes fine, but for extended cuts the saw may go better.

Just noticed that he has the winders all boarded over. I wonder what he was thinking may get in there? He has had troubles with a few bears - one completely tearing the kitchen wall apart! (He is a rug now)

Maybe he thinks the bears will be out this spring before he gets back into camp?

oh, i have my eye out for "justin, and murphy" all the time. the chain saw, bucking type action is alot faster and easier than whacking a 20" log with a hatchet or a little hand held folding saw. cut it in two places, move it aside to get through. bush whackin at it's finest. Ski

Archived