What do you carry in your emergency tool kit?

snocrazy

Hello all! I'm sure this topic has been posted many times before, but for the benefit of the newer members of the forum (like myself) I would love to hear what can be added to better prepare myself!

I have..Yamaha toolkit, emerg starter rope, flashlight, lots of sockets and wrenches, matches, elec tape, duct tape, zip-ties, tow rope, pliers, new spare plugs, spare belt... and a protein bar.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good Start ! Wait until you see what DooNut carries in case of emergencies; you need to have a second sled and a caboose. :shock:

Not anymore. He has a different sled now!

That's right, I forgot. Now he'll need Two back-up sleds and 3 cabooses ! :-P :razz:

Silly mouse! He has switched brands. He doesn't have to replace the crank anymore!

Hello all! I'm sure this topic has been posted many times before, but for the benefit of the newer members of the forum (like myself) I would love to hear what can be added to better prepare myself!

I have..Yamaha toolkit, emerg starter rope, flashlight, lots of sockets and wrenches, matches, elec tape, duct tape, zip-ties, tow rope, pliers, new spare plugs, spare belt... and a protein bar.

siphon hose is important....

You have it all covered except a sharp knife is one thing that I carry ,I ran over some nylon twine once and it stopped me it was wound around the axle and track.The only other thing is pliers that will cut through fence wire as the groomer dropped some wire on the trail and it got wound around my track .I use vice grips with the cutters on them.

Wait till you see sledjunk's list!

:icon_badrazz:

Actually you are pretty well covered. You might want to add a small saw, though. I carry a chain saw with me.

No, really!

http://www.princessa...ocket-chain-saw

if you're from the city and going up north to sled. condoms might also be a part of the kit. just sayin

If you're checking into a hotel in New Liskeard, and some kid yells 'daddy' - you'd turn around, wouldn't you :)

____

Good list snocrazy. Knife and pliers are good additions.

Just bought some additional Yamaha saddle bags and a tank bag, so this list is great.

Just thought of another thing. A tube of JB Weld putty is invaluable! (Saved me when the oil tank cracked on the first day of a 5 day trip!)

Just thought of another thing. A tube of JB Weld putty is invaluable! (Saved me when the oil tank cracked on the first day of a 5 day trip!)

JB Weld is an excellent addtion to the bag ! We've had occasion to use that. We also carry Loctite. And Bulbs, spare, electric visor cord, Fuses, mechanix gloves, owners manual, spare gloves/mitts/socks, chain oil, coolant premix, interchangeable screwdriver, telescoping magnet (to find the bolt you just dropped in the undercarriage), wire strippers and wire connectors.

JB Weld is an excellent addtion to the bag ! We've had occasion to use that. We also carry Loctite. And Bulbs, spare, electric visor cord, Fuses, mechanix gloves, owners manual, spare gloves/mitts/socks, chain oil, coolant premix, interchangeable screwdriver, telescoping magnet (to find the bolt you just dropped in the undercarriage), wire strippers and wire connectors.

And maybe a couple of feet of wire, both insulated and mechanics.

Love all the ideas! definitely going to do some shopping on the weekend! Any suggestions for a good saddle bag?

I think someone mentioned booster cables. Both of our sleds are 4 strokes. We also carry a jug of engine oil, premix anti-freeze, one of those little butane BBQ igniters, emegency blanket (looks like foil) and the most recent additions to our list... bought a boat trailer winch from Princess Auto on sale. The 4 strokes are heavy and if I get stuck and need to pull it out I can hook onto a tree and start cranking. Also the ski rope from the boat. It was in the garage and it occured to me that if someone went through the ice I would have a floating rope with a floating handle that could be thrown to them,

don t forget a ofsc map....

I think someone mentioned booster cables. Both of our sleds are 4 strokes. We also carry a jug of engine oil, premix anti-freeze, one of those little butane BBQ igniters, emegency blanket (looks like foil) and the most recent additions to our list... bought a boat trailer winch from Princess Auto on sale. The 4 strokes are heavy and if I get stuck and need to pull it out I can hook onto a tree and start cranking. Also the ski rope from the boat. It was in the garage and it occured to me that if someone went through the ice I would have a floating rope with a floating handle that could be thrown to them,

Excellent sounding kit! Just curious where you keep all these items?

Snocrazy,

It's probably a toss-up between 02Sled (from the sound of things) and Sledjunk (actual knowledge) when it comes to saddlebags. They're two of the most prepared sledders riding Ontario's trails.

One of the forum members, Evil, even took a photo of Sledjunk's equipment in a hotel room ( :shock::D ).

this new invention called a back pack. you can buy it at a place called the store... get this, it is a building with all the cool stuff you need. just go in, pick out what you need, pay for it, and they let you take it home to keep. LOL!

in all seriousness, the above suggestions are great, in addition, i also carry, a sandvic (canadian bush axe). extra batteries, flash lights (multiple), small terry cloth towel, basic first aid supplies, tylenol, aleeve, asprin, lip balm, extra gloves (thick and thin), shovel, sled to sled snobungie, small tarp, bungie cords, protein bars, water, granola bars, packets of instant soup, mre or freeze dried meal, stainless tin cup, small butane torch, extra fire starter stuff, emergency bivy bag (not just the flimsy space blanket), special tools for the specific sled i may need in the field. spare balaclava (or three), fleece hat or touqe, folding saw, and hand chainsaw, extra goggles (different color lenses), electrical tape, superglue, zip ties, shop rags. emergency strobing light, whistle, reflective mirror, COMPASS, A REAL MAP OF THE AREA, gps, frs gmrs two way radio, tin foil, flagging tape, a few zip lock bags. all your sled info in a ziplock bag (registration, proof of insurance, permit paperwork, owners manual ect...)

and when we go outwest, i carry, a avalanche beacon/tranciever, search probe, AND an avalanche air bag back pack.

plus i know i am forgetting somethings that i carry in addition to the above. be prepared to spend the night so, it isnt your last night. the guys that know me say, if we ever have a problem, when they find us, we will have a cabin built, and if they give us enough time, i will have running water, and cable tv. LOL!

i would rather be ready to spend the night in the bush comfortably, than run around panicking when it happens. everything i carry gets utilizled at least once a season.

ski

this new invention called a back pack. you can buy it at a place called the store... get this, it is a building with all the cool stuff you need. just go in, pick out what you need, pay for it, and they let you take it home to keep. LOL!

in all seriousness, the above suggestions are great, in addition, i also carry, a sandvic (canadian bush axe). extra batteries, flash lights (multiple), small terry cloth towel, basic first aid supplies, tylenol, aleeve, asprin, lip balm, extra gloves (thick and thin), shovel, sled to sled snobungie, small tarp, bungie cords, protein bars, water, granola bars, packets of instant soup, mre or freeze dried meal, stainless tin cup, small butane torch, extra fire starter stuff, emergency bivy bag (not just the flimsy space blanket), special tools for the specific sled i may need in the field. spare balaclava (or three), fleece hat or touqe, folding saw, and hand chainsaw, extra goggles (different color lenses), electrical tape, superglue, zip ties, shop rags. emergency strobing light, whistle, reflective mirror, COMPASS, A REAL MAP OF THE AREA, gps, frs gmrs two way radio, tin foil, flagging tape, a few zip lock bags. all your sled info in a ziplock bag (registration, proof of insurance, permit paperwork, owners manual ect...)

and when we go outwest, i carry, a avalanche beacon/tranciever, search probe, AND an avalanche air bag back pack.

plus i know i am forgetting somethings that i carry in addition to the above. be prepared to spend the night so, it isnt your last night. the guys that know me say, if we ever have a problem, when they find us, we will have a cabin built, and if they give us enough time, i will have running water, and cable tv. LOL!

i would rather be ready to spend the night in the bush comfortably, than run around panicking when it happens. everything i carry gets utilizled at least once a season.

ski

Awesome info!! I am the type that is usually over prepared.. but I must admit..this time I am not nearly as prepared as I should be :right_on: All the tips are definitely going to help me this season, and will hopefully save somebody else from a bad day as well :smil9:

Happy to hear there are lots of people on this forum willing to help!!

Archived