What do you carry in your emergency tool kit?

snocrazy

i keep a litre bottle of both antifreeze and oil, zip ties extra pliers some fuses and connectors half roll of ass-wipe with a lighter in a zip lock bag, spare visor cable fold up lock blade always leave the house with at least 3 bottles of water and several granola or oatmeal bars also keep a tube of rad sealer in the pouch both the sealer and the zip ties have saved my ass a couple times, also let everyone know when/where i am going in case i don't turn up

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're checking into a hotel in New Liskeard, and some kid yells 'daddy' - you'd turn around, wouldn't you :)

____

Good list snocrazy. Knife and pliers are good additions.

Just bought some additional Yamaha saddle bags and a tank bag, so this list is great.

Is that why your screen name is Lucky2?

I will be adding TP to my list.

Excellent sounding kit! Just curious where you keep all these items?

The sled has a cavernous storage compartment at the rear and I also have a tank bag. The tank bag was initially bought to have an open map under the clear top. There are map holders that go on the tank but when I looked at the cost of just the map holder and the small increase to have a storage bag as well it just made sense.The oil and anti-freeze go under the cowling and held in place with a bungee cord. The winch in the trunk, the ski rope in the tank bag. Then I have the other light stuff like a first aid kit, the emergency blanket, light gloves for working in the tank bag,I know people who use saddle bags.

Plugs,Belt Tools including crimping pliers,needlenose pliers,slip joint pliers wrenches,screwdrivers,electrical tape,swiss army knife,adjustable wrench etc.Tiolet paper,sandvic saw,SPOT,cell phone,tow strap,many maps and a portable torch.First aid kit including surgical gloves and a non rebreather mask.

when your driving a BRP product you only need a good rope................................

when your driving a BRP product you only need a good rope................................

And a strong front bumper? :poke2: :poke2:

Just to add to that, you would also want to bring along a friend with a yamaha to get you out of the forest :cheers:

Sorry not this little guy...it would be a very cold day in hell before any Yamahahahaha would hook to my sled.....I will be the guy walking. :wavey:

Basic tools (screwdriver, plug wrench, pliers,electrical tape, tie wraps, multi knife,), first aid kit, flashlight, emergency blankets, fire starter sticks or gel, spare gloves and toque, small folding saw, 50' of utility rope, spare cash, tow strap, light sticks, map pouch, GPS, SPOT, lighter and matches, aluminum foil, hand warmer packs, light gauge booster cable (4-stroke), plugs, belt, mini chocolate bars, sesame snaps (food energy), fuses,

JB Weld is an excellent addtion to the bag ! We've had occasion to use that. We also carry Loctite. And Bulbs, spare, electric visor cord, Fuses, mechanix gloves, owners manual, spare gloves/mitts/socks, chain oil, coolant premix, interchangeable screwdriver, telescoping magnet (to find the bolt you just dropped in the undercarriage), wire strippers and wire connectors.

You had me at JB Weld and Loctite; your quote, " We've had occasion to use that"

I also carry a few cotton balls full of petroleum jelly in a zip lock bag.

I'll bet THAT got STG's attention!!!!

DSCN0006.jpg

If you cut off a piece of those artifical fire logs they sell, work great for starting a fire under harsh conditions. Also heard lint from your dryer( never tried though) and theres also the tried and true birch bark.

Lint works great but won't last long. The Vaseline and cotton balls burns a big flame and slowly. Fine steel wool and a 9V battery works wonders as well. The steel wool burns VERY hot and catches wood shaving on fire.

All good to know yamahas, done the fire log piece thing works good, have to remember your other suggestions and maybe give em a try, thanks and keep warm.

yes, try them at home before so you know what to expect! The piece of log thing sound good, I will have to remember that for winter (If it ever comes).

Lint works great but won't last long. The Vaseline and cotton balls burns a big flame and slowly. Fine steel wool and a 9V battery works wonders as well. The steel wool burns VERY hot and catches wood shaving on fire.

Somebodys been watching Survivorman!

Ah ! The little fella had a great time on the ride that day !

That's enough to make you want to hike up yer' kilt!

I will be adding TP to my list.

When you say TP you do mean tooth paste? :D Great avatar

Besides the obvious like gloves, hat etc, I carry what I think I need to either get my azz out of the woods OR, make the inevitable stay survivable.

FIRE: THE MOST IMPORTNT THING YOU CAN HAVE.!!!!! You don't freeze and it makes a really handy little signalling device :)

For that reason, I carry a 4 pack of brand new Bic lighters and from the camping section at the Tire, WATER PROOF fire starter sticks. Essentially parafin wax and saw dust compressed into little sticks. 4" long and will start soaking wet, floating in a puddle and burn for about 10 to 15 minutes. Plenty o time to get some fire wood burning.

50ft of 5/16" parachute cord, 4 pulley blocks and enough quick links and webbing straps of various lengths to configure them as needed. Beats the hell out of dragging a sled backwards UP a hill when it gets burried off trail.

At 4 to one, you can lift a 500lb sled straight up in the air with one hand.

20 feet of 1"1500lb webbing. Makes a great tow rope and stores in way less space. Several quick links and carribeeners for whatever hook ups you may need.

Complete first aid kit. Bandages, disinfectants, pain relief, sterilized curved needle and polyester thread ( make do suchures could save your life ) several 16" lenghts of 1" wide web strapping for tieing on splints or making a turnaquet.

Tools and parts for the sled. Selection of hardware to fix what ever might crop up. Cold Weld, RTV, tie wraps from 3" to 18" hand cuff size, self sealing tape for hose ruptures, electrical tape, duct tape and 6 inches of 1/2" and 3/8" shrink tube. It can be slid over a cracked or chaffed fuel line and shrunk down as a get home repair.

NOTE: Permatex "Cold Weld" cures way faster than JB weld. 10 minutes in the cold and its hardened. Not as strong but JB takes 24 hrs to cure at room temp. Longer when its cold out.

Folding shovel, folding saw, hatchet, 50 foot ski rope ( good for water rescue, tieing saplings down for tenting, dragging sleds or fire wood or.............................................. and it is highly visible and floats ) A few space blankets ( for making a tent ), stainless camping cup for meltin water, some survival food products, a few rolls of trail marking tape ( can be used to make a big, neon green marker visible from above or marking trail dangers as you come across them.

Everything is stored in individual heady duty zip lock freezer bags and I carry a few extra large spare bags too incase of a "SOAKER". That little bag can save you from frost bit toes when used as an emergency boot liner.

Then of course, there is the 60" big screen, the pool table, wet bar and......................................... :)

Archived