Feds shovel snowmobile cash at Quebec

satrat

News Link

Feds shovel snowmobile cash at Quebec

By DAVID AKIN, Parliamentary Bureau Chief

Bookmark and Share

OTTAWA - The federal government handed out yet another cheque Monday to a Quebec snowmobiling club, the latest in more than $6 million of federal funding announcements that have gone to snowmobile clubs in that province since the last federal election.

Natural Resources Minister Christian Paradis presented a cheque for $70,000 Monday to the Club motoneige Beauce-Frontenac -- located in his riding -- for the purchase of a new snowmobile trail-grooming machine.

The same club got $90,000 last year from Paradis for a trail-grooming machine.

A QMI Agency analysis of federal government spending announcements since the last election shows that snowmobile clubs in Quebec -- but nowhere else in the country - have had tremendous success tapping the federal treasury for snowmobile trail-grooming machines.

Since the fall of 2008, about 25 clubs in Quebec have shared $6.17 million in government funds to buy new machines.

"We'd love to see some dollars come into our province," said Donnie O'Keefe, executive director of the Newfoundland and Labrador Snowmobile Federation.

The Newfoundland and Labrador club warned earlier this week it might have to cease grooming trails in that province because of a lack of cash.

In other provinces, snowmobile users pay out of pocket for the upkeep and grooming of their provincial trail systems through annual permit fees.

While Quebec's snowmobile trail system is partly a user-pay system, Ottawa tosses in millions of tax dollars on top of that.

The QMI Agency analysis of federal spending patterns shows the only other provincial snowmobile club to get federal cash is in New Brunswick, which received a $300,000 grant last winter to fix up trail bridges.

Good for FCMQ!

They are obviously lobbying the Feds for $ and using on the economic impact that sledding brings.

Now to be fair, and lets not get confused that reporters are necessarily fair, we have seen the green signs on our trails as well where Federal infrastructure money has been spent to improve trails and bridges.

IMO, 6.17M over 3 years isn't that big a deal compared to the economic benefit. Hell, even Premier Dad has given more than that to the OFSC over three years (3M per year)

Agree with Sledjunk. In this case, Quebec received $$ for snowmobile groomers. Who's to say Ontario didn't get funding for similar matters.

There's an interesting proverb:

If you see someone on a ladder above you, you can put up your own ladder and climb as high as them.

Or, you can use the same ladder and pull them down/step over them to get to the higher level.

Let's be thankful for the funds advanced to both Quebec and Ontario, and keep moving up together.

Man sitting at home on the veranda with his wife and he says, "I love you."

She asks, "Is that you or the beer talking?"

He replies, "It's me.............. talking to the beer."

:coffeespit::coffeespit::coffeespit:

Agree with Sledjunk. In this case, Quebec received $$ for snowmobile groomers. Who's to say Ontario didn't get funding for similar matters.

If you see someone on a ladder above you, you can put up your own ladder and climb as high as them.

Or, you can use the same ladder and pull them down/step over them to get to the higher level.

Let's be thankful for the funds advanced to both Quebec and Ontario, and keep moving up together.

They're buying votes in PQ with our money. They never allowed groomer purchases in Ont.

Please note that I only copied the article including headline word for word as you can see by the link

I agree... we should be thankful for the dollars we have recieved. Just because another group does a better job of lobbying the feds for support isn't a reason to be jealous. It's a reason to do exactly what they are doing only do it better and get some of those dollars for Ontario.

Often one can apply the principle. They can't say no or yes if you don't ask. Have we ever asked for funding at the federal level?

They're buying votes in PQ with our money. They never allowed groomer purchases in Ont.

:coffeenose: got something to back up this statement

I'd have to go digging in my pile of old Go Snowmobiling mags, and I'm not defending any GOV in power (lets not drag that crap in to the forum) but I remember something a story from a few years back where some dimwit from Ottawa was giving the OFSC a bunch of cash.

So I guess this year it was someone else's turn.

Beside everytime the GOV gives cash to anyone they are trying to buy votes, all parties do it.

Money talks

• 1 month later...

You're right Dweese. I've only been getting the OFSC mags for two seasons and the first issues I received were full of praise for the Feds for their donations.People have short memories. BTW some of that G12 cash spent in Huntsville couldbenefit snowmobilers.

I'd have to go digging in my pile of old Go Snowmobiling mags, and I'm not defending any GOV in power (lets not drag that crap in to the forum) but I remember something a story from a few years back where some dimwit from Ottawa was giving the OFSC a bunch of cash.

So I guess this year it was someone else's turn.

Beside everytime the GOV gives cash to anyone they are trying to buy votes, all parties do it.

Money talks

So you don't think that a trail system that generates $1.2 billion of economic activity provincialy, which in turn produces over $110 million in provincil tax revenue should see some sort of return for it's efforts ?

Maybe the moral of the story is that we need our own lobbyist in Ottawa (full time).... Maybe someone local that could be paid $50,000 (so they could get us millions)....

I'm surprised that the same club got a brand new groomer 2 years in a row.. Is that normal?

Good observation, nutter. Sledding has a huge economic impact.

So you don't think that a trail system that generates $1.2 billion of economic activity provincialy, which in turn produces over $110 million in provincil tax revenue should see some sort of return for it's efforts ?

I don't think dweese was implying that at all. He just put Ottawa and dimwit in the same sentence.I've been known to have the same habit.

Maybe the moral of the story is that we need our own lobbyist in Ottawa (full time).... Maybe someone local that could be paid $50,000 (so they could get us millions)....

I'm surprised that the same club got a brand new groomer 2 years in a row.. Is that normal?

The OFSC does have someone in that position Rick, he's worth his weight in gold with how he brings the worth of organized snowmobiling in Ontario to the political table. If you look at past and current prov and fed funding for the OFSC you'll see we have faired better then PQ.

Don't really know what's normal in PQ for groomer grants, but I think it would be safe to say they score the needs vs wants and the amount a club can contribute, and what's best for the province over all to decide who gets what when.

I don't think dweese was implying that at all. He just put Ottawa and dimwit in the same sentence.I've been known to have the same habit.

I hear ya, been there done that myself, just appeared that way to me, it certainly wouldn't be the first time I've heard a sledder dissagree with gov grants for sledding without first looking at the economic impact it brings forth and what it gets in return to help keep generating that revenue

• 8 months later...

Looks like dweese was right.. So we had a guy in Ottawa is worth his weight in gold with how he brings the worth of organized snowmobiling in Ontario to the political table.. What did he do at the table besides get Ontario $0 from the federal government...

If he is worth is weight in gold

200 lb. man = 3200 ounces @ $1,668.11 per ounce = $5,337,952.00

That's a far cry from $0

I wonder if this person name is a secret or can we find out more about the OFSC man in Ottawa!!!

Looks like dweese was right.. So we had a guy in Ottawa is worth his weight in gold with how he brings the worth of organized snowmobiling in Ontario to the political table.. What did he do at the table besides get Ontario $0 from the federal government...

That's a far cry from $0

I wonder if this person name is a secret or can we find out more about the OFSC man in Ottawa!!!

If he's worth his weight in gold, maybe we should take him to Oren or Harold?

What is the annual amount the OFSC has received most recently from the province? This lobbyist should be extolling the economic benefits of our sport. Press releases should be flying out to fax machines spreading the news.

The OFSC is headquartered in Barrie & they have a CTV2 affiliate. Other than the annual play on the thin ice routine & maybe the odd segment early season when sledders can't wait to go riding on crappy conditions, you never see any of the executive in front of the camera. Are they camera shy or not photogenic. Most of the media coverage since the begining of time has been the Monday morning death toll report.

Maybe GG can be put in charge of PR for the OFSC? He has done a good job letting folks know about D'ville.

Most of the media coverage since the begining of time has been the Monday morning death toll report.

The farm magazines always talk about the trails being closed every year. Because I'm sure the farmers, of all people, need to reminded of the dangers of riding on uncovered wheat. :D

That's a far cry from $0

I'm not going to dive into the political workings of who and how the OFSC recieves outside funding on line, due to the wonderful Mcleans article .... there's no need to feed the green movement. But I wouldn't be afraid to say something is being done right ... along with the provincial grant we see anually these projects were paid for by the Feds in the last round of Fed stimulus grants ... note the amount of snowmobiling projects.

Ontario

• Project Name: Kawartha Trans Canada Trail
    • Nearest Town: Lindsay
    • Group: Non-motorized
    • Project Number: ON-1

[*]Project Name: Midland Trail Link to Tayshore Trail

• Nearest Town: Midland
    • Project Number: ON-2

[*]Project Name: Ramsey Lake Path

• Nearest Town: Sudbury
    • Project Number: ON-3

[*]Project Name: Sir Sam’s - Mountain Biking Trail Expansion

• Nearest Town: Haliburton
    • Project Number: ON-4

[*]Project Name: Norfolk Sunrise Trail - Queensway Underpass

• Nearest Town: Simcoe
    • Project Number: ON-5

[*]Project Name: Lower Trent Trail Development

• Nearest Town: Frankford
    • Project Number: ON-6

[*]Project Name: Waterford Heritage Trail (TH&B)

• Nearest Town: Waterford
    • Project Number: ON-7

[*]Project Name: North Simcoe Railtrail - Black Creek Bridge Replacement

• Nearest Town: Wasaga Beach
    • Group: ORM
    • Project Number: ON-8

[*]Project Name: Discovery Routes - Voyer Trail and Clear Lake Trail

• Nearest Town: North Bay
    • Project Number: ON-9

[*]Project Name: St. Clair River Trail

• Nearest Town: St. Clair
    • Project Number: ON-10

[*]Project Name: Cataraqui Trail - Sydenham and Camden East Trail improvements

• Nearest Town: Glenburnie
    • Group: Mixed-use
    • Project Number: ON-12

[*]Project Name: Old Mill Trail - Sign Project

• Nearest Town: Oil Springs
    • Project Number: ON-13

[*]Project Name: Hungry Hollow Trail System

• Nearest Town: Halton Hills
    • Project Number: ON-15

[*]Project Name: Kamview Nordic Centre - Surface Water Management

• Nearest Town: Thunder Bay
    • Project Number: ON-16

[*]Project Name: Frontenac Arch - Trails of the Biosphere

• Nearest Town: Lansdowne
    • Project Number: ON-17

[*]Project Name: Grand River C.A. Cambridge to Paris Trail Upgrade

• Nearest Town: Cambridge
    • Project Number: ON-18

[*]Project Name: EC Drury Trail Community Connection

• Nearest Town: Milton
    • Project Number: ON-19

[*]Project Name: Sault Ste. Marie Hub Trail System

• Nearest Town: Sault Ste Marie
    • Project Number: ON-22

[*]Project Name: East Duffins Headwaters Trail

• Nearest Town: Toronto
    • Project Number: ON-23

[*]Project Name: Prescott & Russell Recreational Trail

• Nearest Town: Plantagenet
    • Project Number: ON-24

[*]Project Name: Tilbury Northside Park Trail

• Nearest Town: Chatham-Kent
    • Project Number: ON-26

[*]Project Name: School House Trail - Township of Georgian Bay

• Nearest Town: Port Severn
    • Project Number: ON-27

[*]Project Name: Waterfront Trail Connection

• Nearest Town: Oshawa
    • Project Number: ON-28

[*]Project Name: Port Hope Trails Improvement

• Nearest Town: Port Hope
    • Project Number: ON-29

[*]Project Name: Stokely Creek Lodge Trail

• Nearest Town: Goulais River
    • Project Number: ON-30

[*]Project Name: Essex to Amherstburg Greenway

• Nearest Town: Essex
    • Project Number: ON-31

[*]Project Name: Island Lake Community Trail Project

• Nearest Town: Mississauga
    • Project Number: ON-32

[*]Project Name: Hearst Trail System Extension and Enhancement

• Nearest Town: Hearst
    • Project Number: ON-33

[*]Project Name: Willow Creek Trail

• Nearest Town: Peterborough
    • Project Number: ON-35

[*]Project Name: Sequin Trail Restoration - Hunstville to Parry Sound

• Nearest Town: Parry Sound
    • Group: Mixed-use
    • Project Number: ON-37

[*]Project Name: Near North Trails Association - OFSC District 11 - Project 1 Round Algonquin Park tour

• Nearest Town: Head, Clara, Maria
    • Group: Snowmobile
    • Project Number: ON-40

[*]Project Name: Near North Trails Association - OFSC District 11 - Project 2 Round Nippissing tour

• Nearest Town: French River
    • Project Number: ON-41

[*]Project Name: Snow Country Snowmobile Association - OFSC District 6 - Project 1 & 2 Round Algonquin Park Tour

• Nearest Town: Bonnerchere Valley
    • Project Number: ON-42

[*]Project Name: Mid Ontario Snowmobile Trails - OFSC District 8 - Project 1 TOP C Tay Township

• Nearest Town: Oro-Medonte
    • Project Number: ON-43

[*]Project Name: Algoma Sno Plan Affiliation - OFSC District 13 - Project 1,2 & 3 Trail Head, Destination and Directional Signage

• Nearest Town: Elliot Lake
    • Project Number: ON-44

[*]Project Name: OFSC District 2 - Project 2 TOP Project

• Nearest Town: Madoc
    • Project Number: ON-45

[*]Project Name: OFSC District 1 - Project 1 TOP Project

• Nearest Town: Madoc
    • Project Number: ON-46

[*]Project Name: OFSC District 1 - Project 2 TOP Project

• Nearest Town: Morrisburg
    • Project Number: ON-47

[*]Project Name: OFSC District 3 - Project 2 TOP Feeder Warsaw Project

• Nearest Town: Haldimand
    • Project Number: ON-48

[*]Project Name: Parry Sound Snowmobile Assoc. - OFSC District 10 - Project 1 - TOP Feeder Project

• Nearest Town: Parry Sound
    • Project Number: ON-49

[*]Project Name: Temiskaming Abitibi Trail Association - OFSC District 14 - Project 3 - District wide trail leveling project

• Nearest Town: Kirkland Lake
    • Project Number: ON-50

[*]Project Name: OFSC District 9 Projects 1,2 & 3

• Nearest Town: St. Jacobs
    • Project Number: ON-51

[*]Project Name: North of Superior Snowmobile Association - OFSC District 16 - Project 1

• Nearest Town: Thunder Bay
    • Project Number: ON-52

[*]Project Name: Southern Ontario Trail Builders Alliance - OFSC District 4 - Project 1

• Nearest Town: Uxbridge
    • Project Number: ON-53

[*]Project Name: Northern Corridor Du Nord - OFSC District 15 - Project 2&3

• Nearest Town: Cochrane
    • Project Number: ON-54

[*]Project Name: Snow Crest Riders Snowmobile Club - OFSC District 7 - Project 1

• Nearest Town: Gravenhurst
    • Project Number: ON-55

[*]Project Name: Northern Corridor Du Nord - OFSC District 15 - Project 1

• Nearest Town: Cochrane
    • Project Number: ON-56

[*]Project Name: Northern Corridor Du Nord - OFSC District 15 - Project 4 - TOP A Kapuskasing

• Nearest Town: Kapuskasing
    • Project Number: ON-57

[*]Project Name: Temiskaming Abitibi Trail Association - OFSC District 14 - Projects 1,2 & 3

• Nearest Town: Sudbury
    • Project Number: ON-58

[*]Project Name: Limerick Forest Trails - rehabilitation, upgrades & new trail construction

• Nearest Town: Brockville
    • Project Number: ON-59

[*]Project Name: Simcoe County Forest Trails

• Nearest Town: Barrie
    • Project Number: ON-60

[*]Project Name: Larose Forest Trails - Infrastructure, Rehabilitation and Signage

• Nearest Town: Harvey
    • Project Number: ON-61

[*]Project Name: Trail construction and rehabilitation

• Nearest Town: Lucan
    • Project Number: ON-62

[*]Project Name: Haliburton Rail Trail Expansion

• Nearest Town: Highland East
    • Project Number: ON-63

[*]Project Name: Eliminate Water Hazard for TMSC

• Nearest Town: Lakefield
    • Project Number: ON-64

[*]Project Name: SCORRA Trail Creation Project

• Project Number: ON-65

[*]Project Name: Ganaraska Forest Trail Improvement

• Nearest Town: Kingston
    • Project Number: ON-66

[*]Project Name: Upgrade to Voyageur Multi-Use Trail System

• Nearest Town: Papineau / Cameron
    • Project Number: ON-67

[*]Project Name: Inventory and Trail Awareness Project

• Project Number: ON-68

[*]Project Name: Enhancement of Haliburton Highlands Water & Hiking Trails & OHV staging areas

• Nearest Town: Dorset
    • Project Number: ON-69

[*]Project Name: Staging Area and Trail Education Centre

• Nearest Town:Brockville
    • Project Number: ON-70

[*]Project Name: Minden Hills HATVA

• Nearest Town: Minden
    • Project Number: ON-71

[*]Project Name: Salarno Creek Bridge Resurfacing

• Nearest Town: Lakefield
    • Project Number: ON-72

[*]Project Name: Somerville, CKL and Millenium Trail

• Project Number: ON-73

[*]Project Name: Cardiff Community Trail Project

• Nearest Town: Cardiff
    • Project Number: ON-74

[*]Project Name: Monmouth Rail Trail and Gooderham Park Walking Trail

• Nearest Town: Monmouth
    • Project Number: ON-75

[*]Project Name: Calabogie-Madawaska Trail

• Nearest Town: Madawaska
    • Project Number: ON-76

[*]Project Name: Trail Rehabilitation

• Nearest Town: Innerkip
    • Group: ATV
    • Project Number: ON-77

[*]Project Name: Lake Erie North Shore ATV Trail

• Nearest Town: Aylmer
    • Project Number: ON-78

[*]Project Name: NVATVC Trail Overhaul

• Nearest Town: Williamsburg
    • Project Number: ON-79

[*]Project Name: Trail B Repairs Madawaska to Whitney

• Nearest Town: Pembroke
    • Project Number: ON-80

[*]Project Name: New Trail Development

• Nearest Town: Caledonia
    • Project Number: ON-81

[*]Project Name: Stanrock Road by Pass, Charlie Lake Loop and Boardwalk Run

• Nearest Town: Elliot Lake
    • Project Number: ON-82

[*]Project Name: Rehabilitation of Eastern Ontario Trail Network

• Nearest Town: Tweed
    • Project Number: ON-83

[*]Project Name: CP Installation of Gates

• Nearest Town: Clarksburg
    • Project Number: ON-84

[*]Project Name: Sauble Beach to Wiarton Trail

• Nearest Town: Wiarton
    • Project Number: ON-85

[*]Project Name: Upgrading and enlarging Trail System

• Nearest Town: Navan
    • Project Number: ON-86

[*]Project Name: Improvements to Nipigon-Red Rock Recreation Trail

• Nearest Town: Nipigon
    • Project Number: ON-87

[*]Project Name: Ear Falls Central Park Trails

• Nearest Town: Ear Falls
    • Project Number: ON-90

[*]Project Name: OFSC District 1 - Project 3 - Safety and information Signage Project

• Nearest Town: Alexandria
    • Project Number: ON-92

[*]Project Name: OFSC District 5 - Project 1,2,3 - Trail grading, culverts and bridge repair

• Nearest Town: Elgin, Strathroy
    • Project Number: ON-93

[*]Project Name: OFSC District 17 - Project 2 - Two Bridge construction project TOP A Trail

• Nearest Town: Dryden
    • Project Number: ON-94

[*]Project Name: OFSC District 12 - Project 1 & 2 - Bridge refurbishment project - signage

• Nearest Town: Espanola
    • Project Number: ON-95

[*]Project Name: OFSC District 3 - Project 1 - Trail reroute Improvement project Norwood to Indian River

• Nearest Town: Norwood
    • Project Number: ON-96

Good list. Thanks Nutter.

Archived