Feds shovel snowmobile cash at Quebec

satrat

Wow.... long list Nutter.... didn't we just get $3M from the province.

News Link

Feds shovel snowmobile cash at Quebec

By DAVID AKIN, Parliamentary Bureau Chief

Bookmark and Share

OTTAWA - The federal government handed out yet another cheque Monday to a Quebec snowmobiling club, the latest in more than $6 million of federal funding announcements that have gone to snowmobile clubs in that province since the last federal election.

Natural Resources Minister Christian Paradis presented a cheque for $70,000 Monday to the Club motoneige Beauce-Frontenac -- located in his riding -- for the purchase of a new snowmobile trail-grooming machine.

The same club got $90,000 last year from Paradis for a trail-grooming machine.

A QMI Agency analysis of federal government spending announcements since the last election shows that snowmobile clubs in Quebec -- but nowhere else in the country - have had tremendous success tapping the federal treasury for snowmobile trail-grooming machines.

Since the fall of 2008, about 25 clubs in Quebec have shared $6.17 million in government funds to buy new machines.

"We'd love to see some dollars come into our province," said Donnie O'Keefe, executive director of the Newfoundland and Labrador Snowmobile Federation.

The Newfoundland and Labrador club warned earlier this week it might have to cease grooming trails in that province because of a lack of cash.

In other provinces, snowmobile users pay out of pocket for the upkeep and grooming of their provincial trail systems through annual permit fees.

While Quebec's snowmobile trail system is partly a user-pay system, Ottawa tosses in millions of tax dollars on top of that.

The QMI Agency analysis of federal spending patterns shows the only other provincial snowmobile club to get federal cash is in New Brunswick, which received a $300,000 grant last winter to fix up trail bridges.

Thanks for the info - I just e-mailed my MP who is on the government (Tory) side:

Hello Jay, hope you are enjoying your new role in Ottawa.

I’m the President of the North Bay Snowmobile Club and Trail Permit sales are down by 25% this year which is a drastic financial hit for us.

It is very apparent to everyone in organized snowmobiling that Quebec gets the vast majority of Federal grants – why I don’t know – you have lots of Federal members on ON – QC doesn’t

Let’s get this grant system evened out.

The news report follows.

Brian Baker

President – North Bay Snowmobilers Club

Good Stuff BBNB.

I, in no way, want to stop the dollars flowing into Quebec. I don't want to argue a diversion of Federal dollars. Quebec has a magnificent trail system; the positive attributes of which I could extol for a much too long post here.

BUT, in addition to the dollars spent in Quebec, I'd love to see more dollars spent in good old Ontario. We made some strides with Federal Infrastructure Plans but its nothing like the largesse afforded Quebec. Of course it is awkward to mention any Federal Infrastructure Projects here without somebody taking a shot at Tony Clement's Gazebo. But if it weren't for the Gazebo, there would be no new bridge on the D trail south of Gravenhurst. Some days you just gotta know that a Gazebo might be the cost associated with the thing that you want.

Paudash has some Action Plan signs along the trails. Must've been for brushing work, because I really can't see what the improvements were. No bridges installed and/or repaired. Mind you there are some that do need some work.

In Parry Sound construction of a $250,000.00 causeway across a troublesome groomer eating swamp on trail c along with some very large bridge work at Seguin Falls $130,000.00 and a really nice gazebo in Orrville.

In Parry Sound construction of a $250,000.00 causeway across a troublesome groomer eating swamp on trail c along with some very large bridge work at Seguin Falls $130,000.00 and a really nice gazebo in Orrville.

Is that where the Tony Clement Memorial Gazebo is located?

Where is this gazebo,I would like to see it.Sounds like it would make a great watering hole and still keep out the mosquitos.

Where is this gazebo,I would like to see it.Sounds like it would make a great watering hole and still keep out the mosquitos.

It doesn't look good for mosquitos!!!

7bf809fd4751b7895499c928a3ed.jpeg

Remember the bridge to nowhere in Alaska, the earmark that finally triggered America's gag reflex about pork barrel government spending?

Well, now Canada has the $100,000 gazebo in the middle of nowhere -- just one of the Muskoka projects built with G8 money that Parliament had apparently thought was going to be used to improve border crossings.

The Globe and Mail has posted a blistering editorial thundering that the AG report into the G8 expenditures "must be released, immediately."

But actually, it doesn't matter anymore what the final report says -- now that we know that at least some of the auditors in Fraser's office thought the Harper Conservatives were using the G8 as an excuse for unaccountable, old-boys-club pork barrel spending, any mealymouthed exoneration in the final version will be seen for the whitewash it is.

The Toronto Star editorial doesn't even bother asking for the final version of the report:

The much-ridiculed ersatz Muskoka lake the Conservatives commissioned for the G20 in Toronto wasn’t the only example of spending like “drunken sailors,” to quote Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff. Clement’s constituents also got $1.1 million for trees and sidewalk upgrades 100 km away from the Huntsville site. Another $745,000 for civic amenities in towns nearly 70 km away. $274,000 for public toilets 20 km away. And a $100,000 gazebo an hour’s drive away. What any of this had to do with the summits is anyone’s guess.

That’s the problem for the Conservatives. We may not see the final version of Fraser’s report before the vote, but what we already know is bad enough: A party now trying to wrap itself in the mantle of fiscal rectitude threw millions around for dubious political reasons.

I wonder how much those chairs cost?

The bridge to nowhere reminds me of when the James Snow Parkway & bridge near Milton was built over the 401. I seem to recall that there was a huge outcry how it was a porkbarrel project & out in the middle of nowhere. Urban sprawl has pretty much swept past that location now.

Remember the bridge to nowhere in Alaska, the earmark that finally triggered America's gag reflex about pork barrel government spending?

Well, now Canada has the $100,000 gazebo in the middle of nowhere -- just one of the Muskoka projects built with G8 money that Parliament had apparently thought was going to be used to improve border crossings.

The Globe and Mail has posted a blistering editorial thundering that the AG report into the G8 expenditures "must be released, immediately."

But actually, it doesn't matter anymore what the final report says -- now that we know that at least some of the auditors in Fraser's office thought the Harper Conservatives were using the G8 as an excuse for unaccountable, old-boys-club pork barrel spending, any mealymouthed exoneration in the final version will be seen for the whitewash it is.

The Toronto Star editorial doesn't even bother asking for the final version of the report:

The much-ridiculed ersatz Muskoka lake the Conservatives commissioned for the G20 in Toronto wasn’t the only example of spending like “drunken sailors,” to quote Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff. Clement’s constituents also got $1.1 million for trees and sidewalk upgrades 100 km away from the Huntsville site. Another $745,000 for civic amenities in towns nearly 70 km away. $274,000 for public toilets 20 km away. And a $100,000 gazebo an hour’s drive away. What any of this had to do with the summits is anyone’s guess.

That’s the problem for the Conservatives. We may not see the final version of Fraser’s report before the vote, but what we already know is bad enough: A party now trying to wrap itself in the mantle of fiscal rectitude threw millions around for dubious political reasons.

If it only cost $100K then they got a bargain. If it was a private individual it could have been done for a fraction of that but since it was government spending it should have been $150K - $50K for the gazebo, $50K for the contractor and $50K for the government project manager.

If it only cost $100K then they got a bargain. If it was a private individual it could have been done for a fraction of that but since it was government spending it should have been $150K - $50K for the gazebo, $50K for the contractor and $50K for the government project manager.

Anyone for a $1,500 adjustable wrench that the USN bought?

Actually it memorilizes a pioneering family that ran the general store there and the costs include landscapeing plaques engineering etc. The property had become an eyesore after the store had been torn down now it is a nice park used by local kids and adults. The press makes a big stinking deal of things by not telling the whole story. The press is not doing its job in my opinion.

The press is not doing its job in my opinion.

Hey Bill.. imo, the press is doing it's job.. There job is to spread disinformation, half truths, full blow lies and whatever propaganda their bosses (banksters) demand.. All rubbish. I really hate MSM (main stream media)...

Actually it memorilizes a pioneering family that ran the general store there and the costs include landscapeing plaques engineering etc. The property had become an eyesore after the store had been torn down now it is a nice park used by local kids and adults. The press makes a big stinking deal of things by not telling the whole story. The press is not doing its job in my opinion.

It's a great looking gazebo and likely a great use of the property, a great way to memorialize the family and a vast improvement from what was there. The nly minor frustration that MAY be associated with it is that typically when the government builds it, it likely cost multiples of what you and I would have paid for it. Preserving some of our history can be a real good thing by memorializing.

Hey Bill.. imo, the press is doing it's job.. There job is to spread disinformation, half truths, full blow lies and whatever propaganda their bosses (banksters) demand.. All rubbish. I really hate MSM (main stream media)...

Realistically, the media's job is to make money. Telling disinformation and half-truths is what sells. Logical arguments and factual news are boring to the vast majority of people. It is our fault not caring enough to ask questions.

Realistically, the media's job is to make money. Telling disinformation and half-truths is what sells. Logical arguments and factual news are boring to the vast majority of people. It is our fault not caring enough to ask questions.

I disagree that it's our fault, not meaning to be a jerk sk--er ,but that's my problem with the media, they don't ask questions just print press releases,(which we already paid for-taxes) and then call it "news", and they try to make us pay to read it.

I disagree that it's our fault, not meaning to be a jerk sk--er ,but that's my problem with the media, they don't ask questions just print press releases,(which we already paid for-taxes) and then call it "news", and they try to make us pay to read it.

The fact that people buy the product shows that it is, in fact, our (as a group) fault. If we wanted fair reporting, we would have only bought from the media outlets that reported fairly and that business model would have been the one that succeeded.

People who watch Fox News are shown to be less knowledgable about the issues than people who do not follow the news at all, yet the channel remains quite successful; more-so than most other news channels. Why?

The fact that people buy the product shows that it is, in fact, our (as a group) fault. If we wanted fair reporting, we would have only bought from the media outlets that reported fairly and that business model would have been the one that succeeded.

People who watch Fox News are shown to be less knowledgable about the issues than people who do not follow the news at all, yet the channel remains quite successful; more-so than most other news channels. Why?

It just seems the more sources we have for news, the more the news is the same. ( like no one is asking the questions that need to be asked) and so the reader is usually left with more questions then answers after reading an article.

It just seems the more sources we have for news, the more the news is the same. ( like no one is asking the questions that need to be asked) and so the reader is usually left with more questions then answers after reading an article.

I'm with you 100%. But people don't want to be challenged. They want to hear the news that lines up with what they already believe. They pay for that validation.

I was over on another forum the other day and the topic of the CBC came up. There were several people who wanted to see it lose its funding and their arguments for that basically amounted to them feeling that the CBC shared viewpoints that were unlike their own. Think about that for a minute!

If there was money to be made with fair and balanced reporting, someone would be doing it.

I'm with you 100%. But people don't want to be challenged. They want to hear the news that lines up with what they already believe. They pay for that validation. I was over on another forum the other day and the topic of the CBC came up. There were several people who wanted to see it lose its funding and their arguments for that basically amounted to them feeling that the CBC shared viewpoints that were unlike their own. Think about that for a minute! If there was money to be made with fair and balanced reporting, someone would be doing it.

Yup, and we'll all (society) be sorry in the long run. Not a good thing at all.

It is challenging to get fair and balanced reporting. One must always consider the source. The majority of news agencies - print and non-print - are in business and are competing for market share. Likely even more competitiveness for traditional print media vs non traditional.

So, please be an aware; be a critical consumer and develop a questioning approach.

ps - if the vast majority of viewers were not looking for vapid pulp then would we not have ET tonight, tomorrow or forevever. It is similar, as been pointed out in this thread, that the vast majority of viewers are looking for something popular for them to agree with.

ps - if the vast majority of viewers were not looking for vapid pulp then would we not have ET tonight, tomorrow or forevever. It is similar, as been pointed out in this thread, that the vast majority of viewers are looking for something popular for them to agree with.

A lot of what is passed off as news today, would've been ignored 20 years ago.

Returning to the G8 spending, the media & opposition have attacked Tony Clement because money was spent on items that had nothing to do w/ the G8 in Huntsville. This money was earmarked for border security issues. Yes, the gazebo is nice, but was funding available only thru "back channels"?

Archived