Gowganda/Elk Lake/ Matachewan Area Trails Updates

Gowganda Lake Camp

Nice Machine

Here are some pictures of the New Groomer in Action. As you can see we are still way behind on snow amounts. What usually takes about 45 minutes opening took over 3 hours for the one section. We are making progress but it is going to take much longer.

Ron

post-19905-0-25717300-1295817885_thumb.jpg

post-19905-0-30297900-1295817921_thumb.jpg

post-19905-0-76278200-1295817947_thumb.jpg

post-19905-0-45782500-1295817987_thumb.jpg

post-19905-0-15295600-1295818184_thumb.jpg

post-19905-0-98456200-1295818731_thumb.jpg

post-19905-0-59600000-1295818856_thumb.jpg

post-19905-0-55773600-1295818905_thumb.jpg

post-19905-0-10316700-1295818958_thumb.jpg

post-19905-0-38381700-1295818998_thumb.jpg

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will be able to ride to your place from North Bay through New Liskeard next weekend?

I can't say for sure but sorry to say , probably not. Even if we can get our trails done by then , unless more snow comes I don't think Liskeard to Earlton will be opened and I am not sure if Shining tree's will get opened in time. It is probably going to take me most of the week to get between Gowganda and Shining tree done and that still leaves from Gowganda to Elk Lake. The northern pass will be possible , but that again depends of Shining tree and Liskeard trails get opened .

Wish I had better news , but the snow has been falling all around but here. I see some more went just south of us again . Supposed do get more maybe tomorrow. What we have is just powder so it doesn't go very far.

I hear that it is pretty good from Kirkland north towards Cochrane , or maybe south is better.

I will keep you updated on what happens here in the next week or two :cry: :cry:

Ron

I can't say for sure but sorry to say , probably not. Even if we can get our trails done by then , unless more snow comes I don't think Liskeard to Earlton will be opened and I am not sure if Shining tree's will get opened in time. It is probably going to take me most of the week to get between Gowganda and Shining tree done and that still leaves from Gowganda to Elk Lake. The northern pass will be possible , but that again depends of Shining tree and Liskeard trails get opened .

Wish I had better news , but the snow has been falling all around but here. I see some more went just south of us again . Supposed do get more maybe tomorrow. What we have is just powder so it doesn't go very far.

I hear that it is pretty good from Kirkland north towards Cochrane , or maybe south is better.

I will keep you updated on what happens here in the next week or two :cry: :cry:

Ron

Thanks for the info, Ron. Hope to get up your way again this year.

Ron

I was hoping that we could start in North Bay and ride to your place via "A" then back to North Bay the same way the next day. I spoke with Kelly at 3 Bears yesterday, she said that there is not enough snow to groom in Shining Tree. The back up plan is to start just south of North Bay and ride to North Bay.

Thank for keeping us informed.

I was hoping that we could start in North Bay and ride to your place via "A" then back to North Bay the same way the next day. I spoke with Kelly at 3 Bears yesterday, she said that there is not enough snow to groom in Shining Tree. The back up plan is to start just south of North Bay and ride to North Bay.

Thank for keeping us informed.

I wish conditions were better. I made it farther today towards shining tree , but still slow going. I should have between Gowganda and Shining tree finished by wed/ thursday. I hope. We sure could use another foot of snow .

Ron

Question

How does that tractor steer. Do you use braking or steer it with the drag or?

I wish conditions were better. I made it farther today towards shining tree , but still slow going. I should have between Gowganda and Shining tree finished by wed/ thursday. I hope. We sure could use another foot of snow .

Ron

Ron

Thanks for all of the info. You guys are great.

I called your place today and was told the same as you post here. We'll be in North Bay this weekend and hold out a little hope that we can come over your way. The current plan is to just do some day rides from NB. I'll be sure to post our experience early next week.

Ride Safe.

Thanks for all of the info. You guys are great.

I called your place today and was told the same as you post here. We'll be in North Bay this weekend and hold out a little hope that we can come over your way. The current plan is to just do some day rides from NB. I'll be sure to post our experience early next week.

Ride Safe.

Hey Akron

I did some digging for you since I got back from trying to groom. The interactive map still shows the "A" trail closed south of New Liskeard , but it is supposed to open as limited before the weekend. If you do make it to liskeard I have been told that you will be able to make it toward Elk Lake. I know for sure that The Club Eco section of the A trail toward Elk lake is opening and Our section is groomed even if it doesnt get signed which it should by the weekend.

I won't make it to Elk lake from Gowganda by the weekend. I will get to Shining tree tomorrow.

This is the worst winter for snow since we moved here. 5 years ago .

Ron

Question

How does that tractor steer. Do you use braking or steer it with the drag or?

I just aim for the closest tree or rock and bounce off that in the direction I want to go. :rotflmao:

Actually I just realized why it was taking me so long to do this section of trail this year. I have been trying to find the lever to shift into second gear but this one uses a button . :icon_doh: Dough!

Made it a little farther today ( worst section so far) sure makes a difference snow to low snow. Had to fill ditches from both sides before attempting to cross. Tomorrow is mostly old logging roads so should be piece of cake. The tractor is nice and so is the drag.

oh it still steers the same , with cylinders on the drag. When the drag doesn;t grab in the powder you don' t turn . Thats where the trees come in .

Wow it's looking pretty grim.

We are supposed to be heading up to New Liskeard Thursday Feb 3rd to do the Gold Rush Tour up to Cocherane and back through Shinning Tree.

I should send some of this snow from Wasaga Beach your way ... we've had over 9 feet of snow this year!!

Wow it's looking pretty grim.

We are supposed to be heading up to New Liskeard Thursday Feb 3rd to do the Gold Rush Tour up to Cocherane and back through Shinning Tree.

I should send some of this snow from Wasaga Beach your way ... we've had over 9 feet of snow this year!!

9 feet ...wow! How much do you still have of that 9 ft. We used to do a wasaga trip when I lived down near windsor every winter usually superbowl weekend. Some years there was tons of snow there . Yes please send some up here.

I did get between Gowganda and Shining tree finished today a noon. You saw some of the rough stuff but there are some nice sections too. The trail still needs signing and brushing. with the low snow we will have to start mowing the under brush. Make sure you check all the trails you plan to ride, more are opening every day but still sketchy in some areas.

Ron

Thanks for your real life honest trail reports Ron. It is appreciated.

Thanks for your real life honest trail reports Ron. It is appreciated.

Hi 14

I guess the conditions can't always be what we want . On that note there are some not so pretty sections but it's not all bad. Here are a couple pics of some of the better sections. In a few weeks and a little more work on the brushing and hopefully one more snow the base is good now and trails could get good fast.

post-19905-0-05001200-1296178508_thumb.jpg

post-19905-0-90232300-1296178533_thumb.jpg

THose a nice couple pics Ron.I can picture myslelf on that trail right now :drool-1: .........Now back to reality, :mad:

Looks like I better start brownosing the wife , I think Im going somewhere soon :rotflmao: looking good Ron

MM

9 feet ...wow! How much do you still have of that 9 ft. We used to do a wasaga trip when I lived down near windsor every winter usually superbowl weekend. Some years there was tons of snow there . Yes please send some up here.

I did get between Gowganda and Shining tree finished today a noon. You saw some of the rough stuff but there are some nice sections too. The trail still needs signing and brushing. with the low snow we will have to start mowing the under brush. Make sure you check all the trails you plan to ride, more are opening every day but still sketchy in some areas.

Ron

Hey Ron,

We have about 3 feet or so on the ground still. There has been a lot of settlement. We had over 4 feet of snow in the back yard ... couldn't see the chainlink fences. Trails are mint here but they are beat by Saturday afternoon. Everyone from the city comes up and rides here.

Hi 14

I guess the conditions can't always be what we want . On that note there are some not so pretty sections but it's not all bad. Here are a couple pics of some of the better sections. In a few weeks and a little more work on the brushing and hopefully one more snow the base is good now and trails could get good fast.

post-19905-0-05001200-1296178508_thumb.j

These ones look great!

Hey Ron ... What is the status after the weekend?

We are leaving Thursday to get to New Liskeard.

We are booked in at the Three Bears Camp on Saturday but it's looking pretty grim.

Hey Ron ... What is the status after the weekend?

We are leaving Thursday to get to New Liskeard.

We are booked in at the Three Bears Camp on Saturday but it's looking pretty grim.

Hey hunterrev

I don't like to be the bearer of bad news but it isnt very nice here yet. You would have to give 3 bears a call, but last I heard they are not grooming yet.

I groomed between gowganda and Elk lake today and got as far as Long Point lodge. Again as far as the road sections they are good , but the bush sections are brutal. I don't want to take any business from anyone but if you were coming here I would suggest later in the year or another year.

:wtf:

Ron

Hey Ron,

We appreciate the honesty!

Huntrev and I tweaked our trip and are doing Kirk/Coch/Kap now with a day trip to the Canyon instead....leaving tomorrow and can't wait.

Although we are driving away from this snow-storm in central ontario for it!

We will definitely be getting in touch with you specifically when the conditions are better in your neck of the woods though

Hey Ron,

Thanks for the update. As Browning said ... we'll be heading up tomorrow morning to Kirkland Lake.

Hope you guys get some snow! L8r

Any Luck getting snow there. we got hammered here again this week. Great riding now.

Here are some pictures of the New Groomer in Action. As you can see we are still way behind on snow amounts. What usually takes about 45 minutes opening took over 3 hours for the one section. We are making progress but it is going to take much longer.

Ron

post-19905-0-25717300-1295817885_thumb.jpg

post-19905-0-30297900-1295817921_thumb.jpg

post-19905-0-76278200-1295817947_thumb.jpg

post-19905-0-45782500-1295817987_thumb.jpg

post-19905-0-15295600-1295818184_thumb.jpg

post-19905-0-98456200-1295818731_thumb.jpg

post-19905-0-59600000-1295818856_thumb.jpg

post-19905-0-55773600-1295818905_thumb.jpg

post-19905-0-10316700-1295818958_thumb.jpg

post-19905-0-38381700-1295818998_thumb.jpg

Any Luck getting snow there. we got hammered here again this week. Great riding now.

What does snow have to do with you guys getting hammered? :rotflmao: . No not much yet. Another couple cm's last night. I did make it to elk lake and back this week, so everything has had the tractor over it once. Some spots still not very nice, other are perfect. Still need a good snow. Sooner or later one of those storms have to go off track. Giselle and the boys are going with me tomorrow to sign to elk lake. Should be a fun day.

Ron

Archived