Gowganda/Elk Lake/ Matachewan Area Trails Updates

Gowganda Lake Camp

Ya unfortunatly Shining tree cant groom that section this year. You were lucky to find the C trail once you left our section of the C106a. That lake is called Cambel lake. That is where our groomer turns around and heads back to matachewan. How bad was the Grassy road ?

Actually the road wasn't too bad. A little icy, but there was some snow cover on it. Just lucky to find that little " C " trail sign or we would have went to Shining Tree.

The trail from the lake to the road was actually pretty good considering it hadn't been groomed.

Nice trip across the c106a.

We had checked ofsc trail map the morning we left and it showed green all the way to " C ".

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually the road wasn't too bad. A little icy, but there was some snow cover on it. Just lucky to find that little " C " trail sign or we would have went to Shining Tree.

The trail from the lake to the road was actually pretty good considering it hadn't been groomed.

Nice trip across the c106a.

We had checked ofsc trail map the morning we left and it showed green all the way to " C ".

there are still a few issues with the map. It should get better next year as time goes on, first year growing pains. I have a trail that keeps going from yellow to green without me asking for it to change.

Trail Update , Tues march 8

A107C from Gowganda to Elk Lake - Groomed sat/sun night - 95% good cond

A107c from Gowganda to C trail near Shining tree - Groomed Monday night - good cond

A trail north of elk Lake - Groomed Monday night - Good cond

C106a from the A trail through matachewan to Cambel lake - good cond

Everything is best condition of the year so far - 10-15 cm's of snow predicted for wed / thurs.

Ron

oh Tom's heart is broken. You said same thing last week "best so far" lol.

there are still a few issues with the map. It should get better next year as time goes on, first year growing pains. I have a trail that keeps going from yellow to green without me asking for it to change.

Don't forget to open Tom's trail next year - Everly Rd. Tom needs to inpsect the signs and bridges. Missed them this year. TSSA has given Tom a ok to skip a year.

Hi Ron

How long do you think your area will hold up? Is another two weeks pushing it? Was thinking of coming up for a ride, right after march break? Want to miss all of the traffic. What do you think?

Hi Ron

How long do you think your area will hold up? Is another two weeks pushing it? Was thinking of coming up for a ride, right after march break? Want to miss all of the traffic. What do you think?

Looked on Rons Web Cam and its snowing there big time , were going up Wed Morn for a few days , snowing hard in Shining Tree also , I will probably give a trail report from Gowganda Wed night

I was just in shinning tree and gowganda last weekend and trails were good then. So with the new snow trails should be mint!!

Thanks Jacey just what I needed to here :right_on::right_on:

Thanks Jacey just what I needed to here :right_on::right_on:

Excellent reporting gents

post-22208-0-76946800-1300145831_thumb.jpgpost-22208-0-25744300-1300145859_thumb.jpgJust spent Friday and Saturday night at Auld Reekie Lodge in Gowganda - Many thanks to the great hospitality, food and accomodations from Urs, Diane and family.

We started north of Sudbury Friday afternoon in a blizzard on the C trail, then took the A107C over to Gowganda. Smooth base, but over a foot of new snow for 150KM - almost ran out of gas with a couple of sleds!

Saturday afternoon we rode over to Elk Lake on A107C. A fun ride, but starting to get a bit rough in sections, plus lots of ploughing with the new snow.

Sunday we had to head back to Sudbury. It was great to see a freshly groomed trail with all the new snow, but unfortunately we caught up with the groomer about 20KM west of Gowganda. Too bad they couldn't have got out on Saturday after all that snow for the weekend riders in the area.

The C trail heading south was not groomed yet either, but I read the groomer out of Shining Tree broke down on Friday.

When we hit the Baily bridge where STP starts grooming, it was great to see that it had been done down to Capreol.

All in all a great weekend. Hopefully things hold up this week with the warm weather forecast.

Thanks again Auld Reekie - Steve, Bob, John, Dan, Rich and Jamie.

Great report, but this_thread_is_useless_without_pics.gif

:coffeespit::coffeespit:

post-22208-0-76946800-1300145831_thumb.jpgpost-22208-0-25744300-1300145859_thumb.jpgJust spent Friday and Saturday night at Auld Reekie Lodge in Gowganda - Many thanks to the great hospitality, food and accomodations from Urs, Diane and family.

We started north of Sudbury Friday afternoon in a blizzard on the C trail, then took the A107C over to Gowganda. Smooth base, but over a foot of new snow for 150KM - almost ran out of gas with a couple of sleds!

Saturday afternoon we rode over to Elk Lake on A107C. A fun ride, but starting to get a bit rough in sections, plus lots of ploughing with the new snow.

Sunday we had to head back to Sudbury. It was great to see a freshly groomed trail with all the new snow, but unfortunately we caught up with the groomer about 20KM west of Gowganda. Too bad they couldn't have got out on Saturday after all that snow for the weekend riders in the area.

The C trail heading south was not groomed yet either, but I read the groomer out of Shining Tree broke down on Friday.

When we hit the Baily bridge where STP starts grooming, it was great to see that it had been done down to Capreol.

All in all a great weekend. Hopefully things hold up this week with the warm weather forecast.

Thanks again Auld Reekie - Steve, Bob, John, Dan, Rich and Jamie.

Hey Runnynose

I remember you guys passing us that morning. Couldn't groom saturday because of warm temps. The snow just packs up in the drag, so I had to wait until the temps dropped on sunday. Not much help in the area grooming but I did have a couple guys from the south up training with me that day. With their help we did 30 hour tour switching out from Gowganda to Shining tree back to Gowganda to Elk Lake and back. .. Trails groomed up perfect.

Too bad timing didn't work out for your group.

Ron

Trails update March 18

Unfortunatly trails are not doing too well . We had some heavy rain yesterday. The groomed sections are still ok, but the shared road sections are toast. I went for a ride this morning to see how we made out . We have about 10 km's of plowed road west of Gowganda toward Shining tree that are either solid ice or gravel. We will be closing some sections of our trails today.

If you need any more info post or give us a call.

I have to get someone to check the A and C106A for me today.

Ron

Trails update March 18

Unfortunatly trails are not doing too well . We had some heavy rain yesterday. The groomed sections are still ok, but the shared road sections are toast. I went for a ride this morning to see how we made out . We have about 10 km's of plowed road west of Gowganda toward Shining tree that are either solid ice or gravel. We will be closing some sections of our trails today.

If you need any more info post or give us a call.

I have to get someone to check the A and C106A for me today.

Ron

Thanks for all the reports Ron and thank you and your wife for getting our permits for us March 6th. We missed you when we went through because you were sleeping from grooming the night before. Your trails were awesome when we rode them. Your wife took good care of us and the trails everywhere that week were great. We hope to get back up your way next season. Keep up the good work and I wish you and your family a great Summer season and hopefully a better Winter next year.

Thanks for all the reports Ron and thank you and your wife for getting our permits for us March 6th. We missed you when we went through because you were sleeping from grooming the night before. Your trails were awesome when we rode them. Your wife took good care of us and the trails everywhere that week were great. We hope to get back up your way next season. Keep up the good work and I wish you and your family a great Summer season and hopefully a better Winter next year.

Our pleasure JD

Glad to hear your trip was a good one. :right_on:

Ron

Hey Runnynose

I remember you guys passing us that morning. Couldn't groom saturday because of warm temps. The snow just packs up in the drag, so I had to wait until the temps dropped on sunday. Not much help in the area grooming but I did have a couple guys from the south up training with me that day. With their help we did 30 hour tour switching out from Gowganda to Shining tree back to Gowganda to Elk Lake and back. .. Trails groomed up perfect.

Too bad timing didn't work out for your group.

Ron

Thanks Ron, it was quite warm on Saturday so totally makes sense. Unfortunately the weather always doesn't sync with weekends! Would have been awesome the week after you guys groomed, before the next thaw anyway. The groomed section we hit before passing you was perfect, that's for sure. Regardless, still great riding and we'll be back again next season. Steve

Archived