Gowganda/Elk Lake/ Matachewan Area Trails Updates

Gowganda Lake Camp

Quickman......how are your trails ? Tom and Tom are asking. We are still thinking end of month however getting nervous as still seeing lots of red closed trails. Please provide update and thanks C'mon. Smoker.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quickman......how are your trails ? Tom and Tom are asking. We are still thinking end of month however getting nervous as still seeing lots of red closed trails. Please provide update and thanks C'mon. Smoker.

I was reading more of the forum and appears Toms Trails need snow. Keep us posted C'mon

Hey smoker

A little slow with the updates. Been busy flattening rocks and stumps . As posted earlier I groomed to Shining Tree two weeks ago this coming thursday. Definatly low snow conditions but not terrible. Still needs signing. .. Had to go to T.O. for a couple days for the weekend 10 days ago for a trade show. Groomed to Elk Lake starting tuesday when we got back. All groomed to Elk lake and back , the trail is about 50/ 50, The road sections are very nice , the power line is rough ( looks like moguls ) but sorry havn't mastered flattening rocks yet. The bush sections have lots of taggies sticking up about 2-3 feet.

Giselle and the boys helped me start signing on sunday and I finished up on Monday. Today spent the day mowing the trail from Gowganda to Beauty lake road ( starting to shape up nice). Not sure if I will be out again tomorrow to do more mowing , but either way you will see the A107C open up by thursday / friday at the latest. For sure Everything but possibly not the L136 will be open before your scheduled arrival.

As things are we cant groom much again until we get snow. On the up side if we could get 6 to 12 inches of snow the trails go from "nothing special" to

" sweet " . All the brushing etc. will pay off . How's that for a whole lot of :wtf: .

On the good side we are just finishing up another new sweet ice hut "with heat" to bide some of your time.

Ron

Hey smoker

A little slow with the updates. Been busy flattening rocks and stumps . As posted earlier I groomed to Shining Tree two weeks ago this coming thursday. Definatly low snow conditions but not terrible. Still needs signing. .. Had to go to T.O. for a couple days for the weekend 10 days ago for a trade show. Groomed to Elk Lake starting tuesday when we got back. All groomed to Elk lake and back , the trail is about 50/ 50, The road sections are very nice , the power line is rough ( looks like moguls ) but sorry havn't mastered flattening rocks yet. The bush sections have lots of taggies sticking up about 2-3 feet.

Giselle and the boys helped me start signing on sunday and I finished up on Monday. Today spent the day mowing the trail from Gowganda to Beauty lake road ( starting to shape up nice). Not sure if I will be out again tomorrow to do more mowing , but either way you will see the A107C open up by thursday / friday at the latest. For sure Everything but possibly not the L136 will be open before your scheduled arrival.

As things are we cant groom much again until we get snow. On the up side if we could get 6 to 12 inches of snow the trails go from "nothing special" to

" sweet " . All the brushing etc. will pay off . How's that for a whole lot of :wtf: .

On the good side we are just finishing up another new sweet ice hut "with heat" to bide some of your time.

Ron

Thanks for the detailed update Ron. Hopefully that snow comes soon....

Thanks for the detailed update Ron. Hopefully that snow comes soon....

Man your having your work cut out for you. We should come help. We are undecided right now on what to do ?? We know what we want to do however we might not have snow to do it and might have to skip. We'll wait a few more days to see what gives. Praying like 90 down here each night before we sleep. C'mon Smoker.

Man your having your work cut out for you. We should come help. We are undecided right now on what to do ?? We know what we want to do however we might not have snow to do it and might have to skip. We'll wait a few more days to see what gives. Praying like 90 down here each night before we sleep. C'mon Smoker.

Lots of time yet smoker, doesnt hurt to have a back up plan but things can change in a day. I just put in walkers and chairs just for you old guys. give it a chance man. :rotflmao:

We will let you know if its not good. Still a few weeks to go. One good snow and we are good . Expecially for you Yammy guys. We also planned a phoney bonspeil for you that week. Animals and everything

Lots of time yet smoker, doesnt hurt to have a back up plan but things can change in a day. I just put in walkers and chairs just for you old guys. give it a chance man. :rotflmao:

We will let you know if its not good. Still a few weeks to go. One good snow and we are good . Expecially for you Yammy guys. We also planned a phoney bonspeil for you that week. Animals and everything

LMAO also......regarding the bonspeil. Now that will be something Tom and Tom and Tom will like. Your too much. Wondering what animals you'll have ?? Plus I see you've baited us with a heated stumpy ice shack - so kool. I'm away next week Feb 15 till Feb 23th. We are watching the trails. Keep us posted. However so you know we are looking at a back-up plan mean time. Also we are your mentors not a brunch of old guys. I'm guessing you want us dogs to teach you young dogs some new tricks ? What's with the walkers and chairs ? Did you find them floating at shore on Stumpy ? And if you want to borrom the Yamie's when were done each night, we leave the keys in them. Help yourself C'mon

Trails Conditions Update. Feb 14 2011

Hey what do you know, we got some snow. Nothing was predicted for sat. night but sunday morning we had about 8 inches on the ground. Predictions were for 5-10 cm's Sunday night and we got another 8 inches. Lots of snow to work with now. Had to dig out today but heading out later tonight to start grooming. The downside is they are predicting +4 -5 for wed, thurs, friday , then cold again. We are going to try to get everything groomed before it warms up . Even the warm days are cooling down below freezing at night so it shouldn't hurt the trails too much. Hopefully the shared plowed sections hold up too.

Will keep you posted. This snow will make the trails nice as long as we don't lose too much for those three days.

Ron :right_on:

Trails Conditions Update. Feb 14 2011

Hey what do you know, we got some snow. Nothing was predicted for sat. night but sunday morning we had about 8 inches on the ground. Predictions were for 5-10 cm's Sunday night and we got another 8 inches. Lots of snow to work with now. Had to dig out today but heading out later tonight to start grooming. The downside is they are predicting +4 -5 for wed, thurs, friday , then cold again. We are going to try to get everything groomed before it warms up . Even the warm days are cooling down below freezing at night so it shouldn't hurt the trails too much. Hopefully the shared plowed sections hold up too.

Will keep you posted. This snow will make the trails nice as long as we don't lose too much for those three days.

Ron :right_on:

Yeah. Tom likes this. Thanks for the update. Heard Shinning tree got snow also. I'm away till Feb 24th. We'll be on email at times while away so keep us posted please. We have booked another place now however we have leverage to cancel if you guys and the trails start acting like it's winter lol. We'll make a final final decision Feb 24. If trails are not worth the 10 hr drive then we'll skip. Fatty and the guys were up north and him and another lad wrecked their sleds on poor trail conditions - hit rocks etc. They were above North Bay towards Sudbury. Not happy campers. Will the L 136 open ? Tom needs to see his bridge. And will the yellow trails turn to green. C'mon

To all - Any idea how I got the picture I got on my profile or does this site do that if no picture ? I did not post a picture C'mon

To all - Any idea how I got the picture I got on my profile or does this site do that if no picture ? I did not post a picture C'mon

It's a Smoker, you're Smoker, seems appropriate :icon_naughty::devil:

We groomed all we could of the new snowfall. Now we wait, as the temps have made snow too sticky. Grooming has stopped until temps drop again and hopefully more snow comes. Funny how it is working this year. We got about 12-14 inches of snow this weekend, shining tree probably a little more, as I groomed toward Elk lake the amount dropped to about 4 inch's . As the crow flies , less than 40 km's results in 10 inches of snow. :headbang:

We will see how the weekend treats us.

Ron

It's a Smoker, you're Smoker, seems appropriate :icon_naughty::devil:

Smokin tires on a plymouth fury C'mon

We groomed all we could of the new snowfall. Now we wait, as the temps have made snow too sticky. Grooming has stopped until temps drop again and hopefully more snow comes. Funny how it is working this year. We got about 12-14 inches of snow this weekend, shining tree probably a little more, as I groomed toward Elk lake the amount dropped to about 4 inch's . As the crow flies , less than 40 km's results in 10 inches of snow. :headbang:

We will see how the weekend treats us.

Ron

The warm up is over and we lost enough, but not everything. The trails are a really good base now. Snowing out right now and supposed to get some off and on all weekend.

Will keep you posted with pictures as soon as I can. :wtf: . We made out much better than alot of other clubs trails in the area. Takes alot of snow here to get them going , but they last longer too.

Ron

The warm up is over and we lost enough, but not everything. The trails are a really good base now. Snowing out right now and supposed to get some off and on all weekend.

Will keep you posted with pictures as soon as I can. :wtf: . We made out much better than alot of other clubs trails in the area. Takes alot of snow here to get them going , but they last longer too.

Ron

Hi Ron

Hope your trails stay together , we would like to get up in 2 weeks , is there room for a couple of Muskoka Boys or have the Miners got you full ?

Looks like the trails held up pretty well. Starting to groom everything tomorrow so I will be able to give a better update starting tomorrow night.

Ron

:right_on::right_on::right_on:

Looks like the trails held up pretty well. Starting to groom everything tomorrow so I will be able to give a better update starting tomorrow night.

Ron

Hey ROn, Sent ya a PM and email this morning.

Stayed in earlton over the weekend after plan A and B failed. Was gonna do the rap then as the trails closed so we decided to hit northbay, Did 30 miles of trails that should have been closed let alone ltd but were open. Saturday morning we headed north . Went from earlton to kirkland lake on sturday and earlton to elk lake on sunday . Trails were the best i've been on all year. Awesome job by the clubs. It was my first time to the area and wont be my last.

Stayed in earlton over the weekend after plan A and B failed. Was gonna do the rap then as the trails closed so we decided to hit northbay, Did 30 miles of trails that should have been closed let alone ltd but were open. Saturday morning we headed north . Went from earlton to kirkland lake on sturday and earlton to elk lake on sunday . Trails were the best i've been on all year. Awesome job by the clubs. It was my first time to the area and wont be my last.

Thanks mjack

I will pass on to club echo and the golden corridor clubs too. The trails are starting to shape up finally

Ron

Trails Update

The trails still are not where they should be for this time of year, but they are definatly getting better. We are upgrading the "A" trail north out of elk lake to "open" ( Green on the ofsc map) Also upgraded to open is the C106A running east and west through Matachewan and The A107C west of Gowganda. The A107C will stay Limited until I can get one more pass with the tractor.

There is some logging and some mining on all of the trails except the "A" trail resulting in about 5 km's of plowed sections on each trail. We have pulled snow onto the edges of most of these sections to cover the ice caused from the warm up and re-freeze.

Here are a couple pictures of the A107C west of Gowganda about 10 km's east of the C trail

Ron

post-19905-0-44535700-1298417925_thumb.jpg

post-19905-0-74437300-1298418010_thumb.jpg

post-19905-0-70958500-1298417972_thumb.jpg

Archived