Gowganda/Elk Lake/ Matachewan Area Trails Updates

Gowganda Lake Camp

Nice section of trail that is. That's between the hydro lines and the where A107 comes on out C trail isn't it?

How's the new tractor working out for you?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice section of trail that is. That's between the hydro lines and the where A107 comes on out C trail isn't it?

How's the new tractor working out for you?

That's the spot ! Last year we had the trees trimmed , much nicer to groom in there now. The tractor is nice. First time I was actually able to see what it could do. All the other trips out was pretty much just panning. Much more comfortable . :right_on:

Ron

Trails Update

The trails still are not where they should be for this time of year, but they are definatly getting better. We are upgrading the "A" trail north out of elk lake to "open" ( Green on the ofsc map) Also upgraded to open is the C106A running east and west through Matachewan and The A107C west of Gowganda. The A107C will stay Limited until I can get one more pass with the tractor.

There is some logging and some mining on all of the trails except the "A" trail resulting in about 5 km's of plowed sections on each trail. We have pulled snow onto the edges of most of these sections to cover the ice caused from the warm up and re-freeze.

Here are a couple pictures of the A107C west of Gowganda about 10 km's east of the C trail

Ron

post-19905-0-44535700-1298417925_thumb.jpg

post-19905-0-74437300-1298418010_thumb.jpg

[/quote

What is that white stuff ??

Trail update Feb.26

Most of the trails were groomed this week, All in pretty good shape.

We also did more ground brushing between gowganda and Elk lake on the A107c . Supposed to get more snow monday and tuesday which will make the trails really good if we get it. Also did some work on the trail sections entering Gowganda from the east.

Only real downer is being caused from logging on the grassy lake road. This is preventing shining tree from grooming that and the 10 km's west of cambel lake heading to Matachewan. This kills that loop. So you cant get to matach . unless you go from timmins toward kirkland.

If you need any more info . give us a call

Ron

Thanks Ron. We ended up coming up to Elk lake for few days to give it a try, you were full up so found this last minute. So, the trail on west side of Matach is not passable, what about the 136, can we do that loop that you know of from Elk Lake -136 and back around that way. Thanks. Might see ya yet.

Thanks Ron. We ended up coming up to Elk lake for few days to give it a try, you were full up so found this last minute. So, the trail on west side of Matach is not passable, what about the 136, can we do that loop that you know of from Elk Lake -136 and back around that way. Thanks. Might see ya yet.

Let us know about the 136 Shawn , I might be up in 2 weeks

thanks MM

Hi Shawn

Unless we get alot more snow the L136 won't open this year. Unfortunatly we need 3 ft of snow to open the center. As you know we are far shy of that. I read you post about the A trail having a choppy seciton. I will let the groomer op. know to get out asap on that section.

We were waiting for the big dump of snow that was supposed to hit on monday , but as all season it is not coming. Now the promise is for friday. 10+ cm's

We'll see.

Ron

Hey Ron, what's the trail like heading from elk lake to your place? Has it been done recently, we made it half way to long pint and came back for lunch. Thought we'd give that a try. Thanks.

Hey Ron, what's the trail like heading from elk lake to your place? Has it been done recently, we made it half way to long pint and came back for lunch. Thought we'd give that a try. Thanks.

I'm sorry Shawn , I haven't been on for a few days. The trail from elk lake to Gowganda is pretty good. There are a few rolly sections in the old power line just because the ground under the snow is rocky and rolly so we have to follow the contour with the shortage of snow.. The trail is gets flatter and better the closer to gowganda. There is a 5km section of log haulling for a couple more days but it is passable, icy and snow covered.

I wish we could get some of the snow that keeps being predicted but never shows.

Ron

Trails update March 2nd

Even though we haven't gotten any snow in the last few weeks the trails are holding up really well. We need snow to get out and make them even better. There is a good hard mostly flat base right now.

The A trail north out of elk lake is being groomed right now . There was a choppy section but should be good for the weekend.

The c106a is in good condition, there is a 5 km section that was plowed but there was some snowin that area last night . After the groomer passes tonight that should be good as new. The problem with the C106A is that shining tree can't do the last 8 miles because of logging on the Grassy road. so it is pretty much a dead end unless you know the area and pick your way to the C trail toward Gowgama.

The A107C from Elk lake to Gowganda is still listed as limited because of some logging and a couple small rough sections waiting for more snow to upgrade.

The A107C from Gowganda to Shining tree is good . Holding up well,

If the snow would come conditions would be good on all trails at minimum.

Here is a couple pictures of the A107C from gowganda toward elk lake . I had to run part way so I took a couple pics to post. Also one of a future groomer.

post-19905-0-11600400-1299110435_thumb.jpg

post-19905-0-23393200-1299110459_thumb.jpg

post-19905-0-06223700-1299110480_thumb.jpg

Hey Ron we are going to be staying at Three Bears saturday night. Any suggestions on a good loop for sunday? Might slide around and gas up sat. afternoon. Your brother is migrating south soon so he cant make it up..

Hey Ron we are going to be staying at Three Bears saturday night. Any suggestions on a good loop for sunday? Might slide around and gas up sat. afternoon. Your brother is migrating south soon so he cant make it up..

Hi Jacey

What way are you planning on heading Sunday? Are you going back south or returning back to 3 bears ?

Ron

No definite plan for sunday just want to ride decent trails and end up back at 3 bears for sunday night then ride back down to skead monday am.

Thats going to be tough this year to find a loop. With the grassy plowed and the west end of the c106a not being groomed because of that by shining tree there are no loops. All you will be able to do is either ride toward Gowgama, or toward us and Elk Lake. The trails our way are pretty good, not quite as good as last years when you were here. Supposed to snow up here on Sat, so you may be running some fresh snow.

With that said you may be able to run the grassy if there is fresh snow and on a weekend.

:wtf:

Ron

Sounds good, We ll make due with riding up and back on the same trails. Cant do much about it this year and at least we are getting away for a ride.

the weather forcast sounds like you might be riding in some nasty conditions on saturday. 50km winds with snow.

Was snowing when we left Timmins this afternoon, should help the trail base. Hwy 144 was pretty nasty.

How are you doing OSS. I hope your trip was a good one.

Traffic from hwy11 was re routed through gowganda to 144 tonight. Big accident on 11 , head on with two semi's From what I here knowone is walking away. Somewhere near marten river. :-(

How are you doing OSS. I hope your trip was a good one.

Traffic from hwy11 was re routed through gowganda to 144 tonight. Big accident on 11 , head on with two semi's From what I here knowone is walking away. Somewhere near marten river. :-(

Ouch on the accident......we are home safe and sound - arrived at about 6pm. Sweet week C'mon

Ouch on the accident......we are home safe and sound - arrived at about 6pm. Sweet week C'mon

Hi Smoker, Glad to hear you guys made it home safe and sound. Gowganda will never be the same. :crazy_grn: Had some more inquiries yesterday about the Yard sale. :tongue:

Hope the ling didn't make for any unplanned stops on the way home. :twisted:

RQ

Hi Smoker, Glad to hear you guys made it home safe and sound. Gowganda will never be the same. :crazy_grn: Had some more inquiries yesterday about the Yard sale. :tongue:

Hope the ling didn't make for any unplanned stops on the way home. :twisted:

RQ

LOL.......we got alot of mileage on a simple sign. Might really need to have a sale. Nope...no unplanned stops on the way home. Raining here so snow is likely gone till next season. We had fun again and hope we behaved ourselves. Super Dave who rarely talks much asked me if I booked again. Must be the therapy we give him all week. Take care and keep in touch

We rode from New Lisk to Gogama on Sunday via the C 106 A and yes it was rough from a lake all the way to C. and then ( once we found C )it was rough to Gogama

We had trouble finding the C to Gogama as there were no signs to go off the road to intersection in the bush. Luckily we spotted a C sign as we were still heading south and turned around.

The trail from Gogama to Tatachikapika was Awesome.

"A" to Elk lake and C106A to Matachewan was great.

We rode from New Lisk to Gogama on Sunday via the C 106 A and yes it was rough from a lake all the way to C. and then ( once we found C )it was rough to Gogama

We had trouble finding the C to Gogama as there were no signs to go off the road to intersection in the bush. Luckily we spotted a C sign as we were still heading south and turned around.

The trail from Gogama to Tatachikapika was Awesome.

"A" to Elk lake and C106A to Matachewan was great.

Ya unfortunatly Shining tree cant groom that section this year. You were lucky to find the C trail once you left our section of the C106a. That lake is called Cambel lake. That is where our groomer turns around and heads back to matachewan. How bad was the Grassy road ?

Trail Update , Tues march 8

A107C from Gowganda to Elk Lake - Groomed sat/sun night - 95% good cond

A107c from Gowganda to C trail near Shining tree - Groomed Monday night - good cond

A trail north of elk Lake - Groomed Monday night - Good cond

C106a from the A trail through matachewan to Cambel lake - good cond

Everything is best condition of the year so far - 10-15 cm's of snow predicted for wed / thurs.

Ron

Archived