Polaris Trax on TSN a.k.a Snow Trax

dweese

Anyone been watching Snow Trax this season and kind of notice they seem to be a sell out towards Polaris this year?

Ok first all, all the Polaris riders out there don’t start flaming me. I'm currently on a Ski-doo rider yes. But the last ride was a 91 Indy500. I ride the best deal at the time and hold no brand loyalty to any manufactory be it cars, motorcycles or sleds.

So anyways back to why Snow Trax has sold out this year…..

Episode 1 – 20min interview with the Polaris Rush team. Ok so the rush may do to the snowmobile world what the Ski-doo REV did back in 2003, so sure good way to start out the new season.

Episode 2 – 20min interview continues with the Rush team. 40mins of nothing but rush, now I think they are going overboard.

Episode 3 – Hey on snow ride report great, of guess what the Polaris Rush for almost the whole 30min show.

Episode 4 – WOW an Arctic Cat test report, where did that come from?? And let’s show you how to swap out a pipe on a Yamaha 4 stroke. Cool, but something that is illegal almost everywhere??

Episode 5 – On trail 800cc 2-stroke shoot out between Ski-Doo, Arctic Cat and Polaris. They didn’t say who had the best 800 sled. But it was all good for the Polaris and the other 2 had some issues that need to be refined.

Episode 6 – Watching this one now from my PVR and very cool west cost ride report for like 6mins and than an on trail report of a, wait for it, a Polaris Dragon. I’ll give them credit for the test of the Camoplast track kit for your UTV but on guess what? A Polaris Ranger UTV.

Oh and the continuous shots of a balding Luke Lester riding along the same corner time and time again to music for minutes on end. Sure that type of TV was great back in the 90’s on Baywatch, and it was some tight bodied 20 something hottie running down the beach in almost nothing, but give me a break here guys. If your short on show content there are 3 other sled manufactures out there you could test ride.

I remember this back 5 or 6 years ago with Ski Canada Magazine. K2 had advertisements all over the mag. And guess who always had the best skis on their test reports. Than one year no K2 advertising and boom, guess who was almost last on all the test reports that year?

Anyone been watching Snow Trax this season and kind of notice they seem to be a sell out towards Polaris this year?

Ok first all, all the Polaris riders out there don’t start flaming me. I'm currently on a Ski-doo rider yes. But the last ride was a 91 Indy500. I ride the best deal at the time and hold no brand loyalty to any manufactory be it cars, motorcycles or sleds.

Episode 1 – 20min interview with the Polaris Rush team. Ok so the rush may do to the snowmobile world what the Ski-doo REV did back in 2003, so sure good way to start out the new season.

Episode 2 – 20min interview continues with the Rush team. 40mins of nothing but rush, now I think they are going overboard.

Episode 3 – Hey on snow ride report great, of guess what the Polaris Rush for almost the whole 30min show.

Episode 4 – WOW an Arctic Cat test report, where did that come from?? And let’s show you how to swap out a pipe on a Yamaha 4 stroke. Cool, but something that is illegal almost everywhere??

Episode 5 – On trail 800cc 2-stroke shoot out between Ski-Doo, Arctic Cat and Polaris. They didn’t say who had the best 800 sled. But it was all good for the Polaris and the other 2 had some issues that need to be refined.

Episode 6 – Watching this one now from my PVR and very cool west cost ride report for like 6mins and than an on trail report of a, wait for it, a Polaris Dragon. I’ll give them credit for the test of the Camoplast track kit for your UTV but on guess what? A Polaris Ranger UTV.

Oh and the continuous shots of a balding Luke Lester riding along the same corner time and time again to music for minutes on end. Sure that type of TV was great back in the 90’s on Baywatch, and it was some tight bodied 20 something hottie running down the beach in almost nothing, but give me a break here guys. If your short on show content there are 3 other sled manufactures out there you could test ride.

I remember this back 5 or 6 years ago with Ski Canada Magazine. K2 had advertisements all over the mag. And guess who always had the best skis on their test reports. Than one year no K2 advertising and boom, guess who was almost last on all the test reports that year?

X2...that's the overwhelming impression I have had as well.

Regardless of your brand preference, it's hard to deny, if you've watched all the shows so far this year -- the focus on Polaris has been very noticeable overall, with the exception so far being Mark Lester's really good test report on the 2010 Yammie Vector (which looks like a slick package.)

The other thing I really notice about SnowTrax since the Lester/Supertrax "takeover" is much less time spent on touring destinations than used to be the case.

As a result, I'm not enjoying the show nearly as much as I used to...never thought I'd say this, but I'm beginning to think Snowmobiler TV is actually doing a better job of balanced coverage of snowmobiling overall.

The media is a funny thing..... I seen the shows too and remember thinking "I miss all the Yamaha stuff on their show" :confused:

I have been a fan of the show for many years and have met and ridin the Lester family and thought they where great!!!

No bashing of the Lesters or SnowTrax will be permitted on this forum, but an open and honest discussion about their show is welcome.. I still enjoy every one of their show and look forward to many more years.... Luke has posted on oc before and he is welcome to post again...

Thanks for your thoughts on the show and the media.... Rick

I liked the old way it was, especially sled Ed. It used to entertaining but now it's just plain boring. We used to buy the DVD's each year and watch them in the summer on a rainy day, but I haven't watched it at all now.

The media is a funny thing..... I seen the shows too and remember thinking "I miss all the Yamaha stuff on their show" :confused:

I have been a fan of the show for many years and have met and ridin the Lester family and thought they where great!!!

No bashing of the Lesters or SnowTrax will be permitted on this forum, but an open and honest discussion about their show is welcome.. I still enjoy every one of their show and look forward to many more years.... Luke has posted on oc before and he is welcome to post again...

Oh ya I'm not bashing anyone or the show, would never use a forum of any kind for things like that. If I'm going to bash you, I'll invite your for a beer first :phonecall:

I liked the old way it was, especially sled Ed. It used to entertaining but now it's just plain boring. We used to buy the DVD's each year and watch them in the summer on a rainy day, but I haven't watched it at all now.

Sled Ed was a hoot ! LMV maybe this constructive critisism will help the show all to often those close to the producers will simply say great job for whatever reason.

I was watching the clock on Sat' & noticed 20 minutes spent on Pemberton BC. They're going to have to do some editing to shorten the 1st segment of each show. Doesn't leave much for the rest. If they're going to film them playing pool in Elliot Lake, they come w/ us to Kap' some year & film us filling the wastepaper basket w/ empties.

I did like Mark's discussion about the aftermarket exhaust "feedback" they had gotten.

JMO

Sled Ed was a hoot ! LMV maybe this constructive critisism will help the show all to often those close to the producers will simply say great job for whatever reason.

Yes Sled Ed will be missed!!!!! Maybe SnowTrax needs a new character

I think having their own SlowTouringGuy would be just as entertaining and probably sillier!!!

Maybe call it the SlowTouringGuy Minute. :coffeespit:

Yes Sled Ed will be missed!!!!! Maybe SnowTrax needs a new character

I think having their own SlowTouringGuy would be just as entertaining and probably sillier!!!

Maybe call it the SlowTouringGuy Minute. :coffeespit:

Naw he is too sheepish

I suspect that they may simply be a victim of the economy. Companies are looking very closely at how they spend their advertising dollars of which there is likely a lot less to go around. If Polaris is your only real sponsor putting up some significant coin then guess who is going to get the lions share of the air time that they pay for. At the beginning of the show I always see the disclaimer about segments of the show being paid for by the sponsor.

Your going to see more segments on places like Elliott lake and promote these destinations.

Was that segment not what us snowmobilers enjoy ourselves ?

Not everyone is into tuning , mods , destinations but as viewers what do you really want to see ?

You all might be surprised to know that these sled shows are looking for content from the viewer.

As for showing certain makes more than others has the Polaris Rush not been the hottest topic in the last year ? It just makes sense to show something that has interest. I'm sure you will see Yamahas new game changer power steering next year.

Constructive critism is always the greatest way to challenge the media , trust me they are all reading this and watching.

The Elliot lake segment was OK. Lots of footage of sleds going by but not a lot of info. Where can you ride to, etc. They seemed to be more interested in playing pool w/ some old guy.

I don't know but 20 minutes devoted to ONE segment on a half hour show is overkill in my books.

what do you really want to see ?

I find the shows to be a little sterile. Why do we never see the test snowmobiles driving through gigantic mud holes, down bare gravel roads, or across that ploughed field that just doesn't have quite enough snow? Why do the test riders never end up in the rhubarb, stuck in a huge drift, or find themselves out in the middle of nowhere with an empty tank of fuel? When I look to successful shows with similar formats, the hosts tend to fail or run into trouble while providing some comic relief in the process. People want to know that the host is only human and not some robot delivering the message.

Oh ya I'm not bashing anyone or the show, would never use a forum of any kind for things like that. If I'm going to bash you, I'll invite your for a beer first :phonecall:

I know, I was talk to the others

You raised a good question

With a "snow breaking" new model out Polaris is going to spend some ad $ to try and gain mucho exposure.

Six page ads at the front of the last two magasine issues.

Pretty much a no brainer as to who is paying the bills this year. :coffeenose:

• 1 month later...

Ok now just as things started to get better in show content (maybe some one at SuperTrax saw my post) Bell TV goes and adds a space bettwen Snow and Trax on their guide screen and my PVR is looking for SnowTrax not Snow Trax and hasn't recorded any in a month. Here I was thinking it was over for the year until yesterday I saw on. Damn Bell :soapbox:

Sorry just needed to rant :wtf:

No offence, but as a Polaris rider/owner, it's nice for a change to see some reports on their products, I quit watching snowmobile programming a long time ago, one, because there never seemed to be anything outside of Ski-doo, and more recently, Yamaha, and two, because I find all their shows lack substance and i'd rather find something to do around or outside the house than waste time watching television.

IMO, it's about time Polaris ponied up something worthy of air time.

Archived