Breakdowns

highway89

Hi everyone:

Just curious if anyone know's of a "tow" service that maybe available in the Shelburne/Dundalk area incase of breakdowns while on the trails. Reason I ask is, I frequently travel the trails by myself, and often wondered what I would do incase of a serious breakdown where I was unable to restart the sled. Especially since I'm driving an older model (95 Skidoo, Touring LE).

Cheers!

This is a really interesting point. I ride sometime by myself as well and often thought of this. I also ride a motorcycle and there is a pretty service that is available

It is like a forum service that you subscribe to

Each member on the forum agrees that if another member contacts them in need of asisstance nearby to their posted area than they will lend a hand. so if I am travelling in say Port Carling (I do not know anyone there) and I break down I can check the forum list, and see if I can reach someone there that is available to lend a hand (towing, boosts, belts, fuel, etc). the individual lthat lends a hand knows that at some point the karma will be returned.

Anyway it si a concept that applies here, but does not do much to answer your question

This is a really interesting point. I ride sometime by myself as well and often thought of this. I also ride a motorcycle and there is a pretty service that is available

Each member on the forum agrees that if another member contacts them in need of asisstance nearby to their posted area than they will lend a hand. so if I am travelling in say Port Carling (I do not know anyone there) and I break down I can check the forum list, and see if I can reach someone there that is available to lend a hand (towing, boosts, belts, fuel, etc). the individual lthat lends a hand knows that at some point the karma will be returned.

Anyway it si a concept that applies here, but does not do much to answer your question

As someone who often rides alone, I like that idea. The downside might be publishing contact info but I am sure that could be worked out.

Most sledder will stop and ask if you need any help. It is winter and no one wants to be stranded on the trail. Carry a tow rope, cell phone and know your road crossings so when someone tows you to the road you can then call for assistance to get the sled home. Call a cab or hitch hike back to the trailer.

Several sledders have been brought in here on thier CAA plus card not just the regular CAA but the "plus"version.

I am assuming that they were picked up and brought to the shop for parts/whatnot. not towed in on their sleds?

Yes you need CAA plus to do recreational vehicles

Never knew about this, so CAA will come out some trail and tow me out? or do I have to be in winching distance

Never knew about this, so CAA will come out some trail and tow me out? or do I have to be in winching distance

Guys, that would be great. So I just called CAA to find out if they tow snowmobiles, assuming not in the trail but within safe winching distance, and they told me they did not. However, the guy I spoke too sounded like Bell customer service if you know what I mean.

I just called CAA and they said that snowmobiles are not covered (even with Plus or Plus RV). WB, Is this something that the local contractors find a way around? How do the sleds come in?

CAA ? Forget the 'C'. Sounds more like my AA support group. :oops:

most wrecker operators will work with you, if you provide them with the proper information. CAA only knows what the wrecker operator submits to them. If you call CAA requesting a wrecker, tell them your vehicle requires a tilt & load and that is what they will dispatch.

Most sledder will stop and ask if you need any help. It is winter and no one wants to be stranded on the trail. Carry a tow rope, cell phone and know your road crossings so when someone tows you to the road you can then call for assistance to get the sled home. Call a cab or hitch hike back to the trailer.

This seems like almost the best practical advice...I carry rope, phone and GPS (to help with the road crossings) as well...there is a great sense of community within the sport and when I have taken new people with me, they are always impressed how when you are off to the side taking a rest, riders (of all ages) stop and check that all is well.

most wrecker operators will work with you, if you provide them with the proper information. CAA only knows what the wrecker operator submits to them. If you call CAA requesting a wrecker, tell them your vehicle requires a tilt & load and that is what they will dispatch.

Bingo !

Last year my wife went out by herself for a short ride and told me the route she was taking. Trip should be about an hour. She also had her cell phone and we knew there was good reception all along the route. Wouldn't you know it. This was the one time she got stuck in deeper snow. She called me and I told her I was on my way with a friend of ours. Just as we were getting on our sleds she called back. Two people passing saw her predicament and stopped. They took less than 5 minutes out of their ride to help her. I believe this is typical of almost all riders. The only thing you have to hope for is that you aren't on a little used trail or late at night when most riders have packed it in for the day.

Something like a float plan for a boat... always tell someone where you are going and when you plan to be back. Either that or I hear the SPOT tracker works fairly well.

Last year my wife went out by herself for a short ride and told me the route she was taking. Trip should be about an hour. She also had her cell phone and we knew there was good reception all along the route. Wouldn't you know it. This was the one time she got stuck in deeper snow. She called me and I told her I was on my way with a friend of ours. Just as we were getting on our sleds she called back. Two people passing saw her predicament and stopped. They took less than 5 minutes out of their ride to help her. I believe this is typical of almost all riders. The only thing you have to hope for is that you aren't on a little used trail or late at night when most riders have packed it in for the day.

Something like a float plan for a boat... always tell someone where you are going and when you plan to be back. Either that or I hear the SPOT tracker works fairly well.

I used to teach a survival course. I called this the "Guardian Letter" It is a document, phone call or some other means of communication between you and someone of responsibility. In it you should include the following:

Area where you will be

Location of vehicle/enterance point

Planned Route

Any Known issues with potential re-routes

duration you expect to be gone

and Most importantly;

The Drop Dead Time - Time when, if no communication has been established someone should call the EMS

Defined Communication times and contacts.

With these in place I travel at night without worry, of coarse with today's telecommunication devices it makes life a little easier. I remember writting my mother notes on dinner napkins after school..

Thanks everyone for all the helpful replies.

I do carry a tow belt, cell phone with me just incase, and rarely travel at night where I'm not at least in 1 hour walking distance if the worst was to happen. I guess my biggest concern is, my entrance to the OFSC trail system is on a part just north of Hwy. 89 between Shelburne and Mount Forest, that just seems to be very light travelled. And as Murphy's luck would have it, this is where I'm afraid I would break down, where the chances of someone passing by may be hours. And more importantly, just always very worried about having to leave my sled abandoned to get back to the house and having my sled stolen. The sled had belonged to my Dad, who has since passed away, so needless to say, it has much more value to me then simply a bunch of metal and plastic.

Cheers!

Your going to hit someone in a corner if you worry to much about that crap. Breaking down in the middle of no where is what makes snowmobiling a sport!

Your going to hit someone in a corner if you worry to much about that poop. Breaking down in the middle of no where is what makes snowmobiling a sport!

Risk does not create sport??

Although I will agree that worrying about such things creates a bad attitude. I should know I am one of this people too. I more times than not expect the worst and when it ocurs I say "see, I told you"

just let is roll, sledding is fun and be safe. try to minimize the exposure to risk

more times than not expect the worst and when it ocurs I say "see, I told you"

You must say that a lot to Viper :poke:

try to minimize the exposure to risk

Stop riding with Viper!! :wtf: .

:P

You’re just jealous we are riding tomorrow while you’re hard at work :poke: :rotflmao:

LOL :coffeespit:

funny too funny

........ while you’re hard at work :poke: :rotflmao:

You're talking to the wrong guy :P :poke: :P

Agreed :oops:

Well I thought I would make him feel good for a day :rotflmao:

Archived