Breakdowns

highway89

Thanks everyone for all the helpful replies.

I do carry a tow belt, cell phone with me just incase, and rarely travel at night where I'm not at least in 1 hour walking distance if the worst was to happen. I guess my biggest concern is, my entrance to the OFSC trail system is on a part just north of Hwy. 89 between Shelburne and Mount Forest, that just seems to be very light travelled. And as Murphy's luck would have it, this is where I'm afraid I would break down, where the chances of someone passing by may be hours. And more importantly, just always very worried about having to leave my sled abandoned to get back to the house and having my sled stolen. The sled had belonged to my Dad, who has since passed away, so needless to say, it has much more value to me then simply a bunch of metal and plastic.

Cheers!

My sled has cavernous storage and I have what they call a snake lock in their. The idea being that if ever necessary I wrap it around the track. Unless someone has some massive bot cutters they would have a hard time dragging the sled away. Doubt they would get more than a foot or two.

• 2 weeks later...

March 2008, Hearst, arrived at cottage Sunday afternoon. Monday got 3" new snow, done alot of work at cottage. Wednesday, went for a ride on L165 north of Hearst, flat as a board, with 3" of powder snow,no tracks except moose and wolf, -15 F, would of hated to break down with new to me sled, long walk back, 25 km at the farthest point. cell phone did work,most of the time, so took a little worry off. Single sled with me and the wife riding. Thats what you call wilderness adventure. IF..

You have to trust dealer or yourself that services your sled, trust yourself if something happens. Was really surprised that in 3 days nobody had travelled the trail. was a perfect ride to reaquaint with sledding, and to put a few miles on a new to us sled.

Help from a neighbour was only a phone call away! or if we didn't return by 3pm.

Haven't posted in a long time, but this did catch my eye...

I noticed on another jeep/truck forum they have a page on the forum called "NEED HELP NOW!". Basically you post where you are, what the problem is, and hopefully somebody on the forum in the area can help you out. It actually works very well! Just an idea...

The one thing I always do if I am going out alone is tell someone exactly where I am going and when I will be returning then give progress updates. Last weekend I was out alone and told my wife I was going from Port Severn to Bass Lake House through Bala. Called her at Bala and Bass Lake House letting her know where I was. Gave her a comfort level and me in knowing for example that if I didn't check in when I got back I was somewhere between Bala and Port Severn

Archived