Parry Sound Snowmobile District has cease operations

Yukon

I think that until all the facts have been laid out from the OFSC that we should refrain from speculation and only post what is Fact. Alot of information can be misconstrued and its not fair to the parties involved . It sucks what is happening , but we don't want this to become a negative Domino effect . (No Punn intended)

I hear you yukon cornelious, but what about the health and safety regs? Can clubs say they are compliant or even have the resources to be?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I talked to the PSSD this afternoon and have been give more information about what is going on (I will share this info with the forum soon). The PSSD will have a press release issued this afternoon sometime. I will post it when I get the PR emailed to me. Rick

Thanks Rick ,

I think their are alot of anxious sledders waiting !

Paul

I was toll that MOL is taking legal action against the district and the club president (6 in totals starting at 25 k each)

I hope it will be resolve asap and no body have to pay money from their own volunteer pocket

AND-HOW!

hopefully the insurance coverage will cover that............

I have been following this tread today but have not had a chance to reply. This is not good news. Any time we have to deal with the MOL there is high probobility of long delays.

Some say that the PSSD chose to close the trails in protest. I strongly doubt it. I suspect that the MOL has forced them to cease grooming until the case is settled and all concerns are addressed. All safety concerns and all practices will have to be adressed. So obviously sometimes some of these things can take time to implement, and then be subsequently scrutenized by the OFSC legal crew and of course the MOL.

That being said though, there are ways around everything. Has anyone contacted Parry Sound/Muskoka MPP Norm Miller? He is a well respected person in the cabinet and can get things done.

I hope this gets resolved quickly.

Also, this is an inconvieinience for sledders, but the families and friends of Mr. Ryman must be under extreme emotional turmoil. Unfortunately I never did get to meet Mr. Ryman and thank him for his efforts, but like almost all groomer operators he was probobly doing it because he loved it. His family was likely supportive of his efforts and the last thing they would want is to drag all this through the mud. For them, it would be really nice to put this behind.

I was toll that MOL is taking legal action against the district and the club president (6 in totals starting at 25 k each)

I hope it will be resolve asap and no body have to pay money from their own volunteer pocket

Reg does this mean YOU could be charged or fine if something happens? Do you still want to volunteer?

Yes, that mean we can be charged

That made you think twice...........

It appears that the District made the decision to close these trails NOT the OFSC....therefore.....the question is.......are these trails really CLOSED as they weren't officially closed by the OFSC? What steps are the OFSC taking to re-open these trails and uphold our trail system.

the answer: the trails are really closed.

if a club or a district closed trails the OFSC can't do nothing about it.

It appears that the District made the decision to close these trails NOT the OFSC....therefore.....the question is.......are these trails really CLOSED as they weren't officially closed by the OFSC? What steps are the OFSC taking to re-open these trails and uphold our trail system.

the answer: the trails are really closed.

if a club or a district closed trails the OFSC can't do nothing about it.

Thank you for the clarification on this issue..........I am still waiting for a call from the OFSC....I have now made 2.

Any ideas on the steps to be taken to get our voices heard? Is the OFSC the one to call here?

Some say that the PSSD chose to close the trails in protest.

Some might be right and some might say it's for the protection of their volunteers.. Contacting the MP is a good idea.. Let's wait for the PR and then we can come up with a plan.

Any ideas on the steps to be taken to get our voices heard? Is the OFSC the one to call here?

I have a few ideas, after the PR... imo are steps where taken away when the goverment got involved with snowmobiling in Ontario...

It sure wouldn't hurt! I'd like to know what their position is and how they plan to proceed.

Good grief folks - they kant take forty-leven calls and act on this at the same time!

Giv'm a break eh?

If I am not mistaken there were some MOL issues at the very beginning of this season in district 10 in regards to the groomer losing his life. But not

once has it been mentioned to the rider buying there permits. This is

not right .Was this not settled!

Update: A representative from the OFSC has just returned my calls. He tells me that the OFSC had no knowledge of this closure until this morning when they saw it on their own website. I asked him if there was anything that the OFSC could do to intervene and he said NO...it was at the PSSD level that they decided to close the trails and the OFSC has no jurisdiction over whether a club or district decides to open and close trails. NOBODY from the PSSD has contacted the OFSC today....and he has been trying to get through to somebody at the PSSD. He has asked what he can do to help........He also confirmed that if you ride on closed trails - you are tresspassing and you are not covered under liability. He also advised me that it is a CLUB decision on whether or not they will groom the trails and open them. If anybody out there knows anybody that is with any of these clubs......CALL THEM!

I have spoken to the President of the South Seguin SC - Todd Hrycyna and he informs me it was a District decision to close. I have also called the PSSD office in Parry Sound and am being juggled around through cyberspace and voicemail. Apparently, I am not the only one that can not get through....the OFSC has also been leaving messages and trying to call them all day as well.....no one is returning calls.

The OFSC also told me to tell all who are interested in getting this problem resolved to contact the PSSD and the local clubs that are under their jurisdiction to resolve this problem. It is only at the District Level that something can be done ....according to the OFSC. It is the clubs that own the groomers and the groomers work for the clubs........sounds like a BIG CATCH 22 if you ask me!

It is the clubs that take most of the $$$ from our trail passes to maintain those trails - I think that PSSD had better have a pretty good explanation as to why they have done what they have done. Even if the clubs were to list the trails as OPEN (but not groomed) we would be able to ride the trails -bumpy mind you - but that would be the sledders choice - maybe we could at least put pressure on the clubs to list them as such until this issue is resolved. Just an idea.

my cottage is right there can i still ride on the trails? i usually take the 408 to parrysound to do a little ice fishing. does this just mean no grooming?

They have said the Trails are closed including the 408. All clubs have ceased operation except Ardbeg/Dunchurch, and Mckellar meaning they are not active and trails are not being maintained. I'd stay off the trails unless you want more problems with this situation.

Ok, I am shaking right now as I write this. I am really upset.

I spoke to Mike Farr at the OFSC.

This is the info that he gave me to pass on...

He assured me that legal counsel has been retained to defend the volunteers involved.

He claims that the club was not required to close, that was their choice.

He says that they can re-open if all the clubs in the district sit down and discuss the issues.

He said that he would be happy to facilitate such a meeting and provide leadership and assistance in order to have the trails re-opened. He cannot do anything, however, unless the club asks for his help...

I have to say, hats off to the man for having the balls to take my call.

I must say that I do not believe he is fully informed on the issues and he is probably not really prepared to handle the uproar that this has caused.

I think that the club did what they had to do. Now people will be ready to listen when the PR is delivered.

I think that our support & willingness to take action in the the appropriate manner is what they really need right now.

Gotta go, hands still shaking...

Thanks for the updates Giddy Up and Trax. Here's hoping that the clubs can work this out and open sooner rather than later!

I am only asking, I am not suggesting.

But at this point it looks like this weekend it fried.

If so, I should be cancelling my reservations.

Who should I suggest the Hotel owners contact to voice their concerns over all the lost revenue this weekend.

I am sure our high dollar has been hard enough on the tourist industry. Thanks to the Government for putting one more nail in the coffin.

Who should I suggest the Hotel owners contact to voice their concerns over all the lost revenue this weekend.

I am sure our high dollar has been hard enough on the tourist industry. Thanks to the Government for putting one more nail in the coffin.

First - I would wait until tomorrow to cancel. The hotel has a 24hr cancellation policy and everyone is working hard to resolve this issue sooner than later. Also, the Quality Inn has been very accommodating with us - they are giving us until tomorrow night to confirm our numbers for the dinner. So.....be patient just one more day and let us hope that this will all be resolved. If things are looking grim for the trails on the weekend by tomorrow afternoon - then let us know if you are cancelling and Maple will adjust the numbers accordingly. We are all hoping for the best :D

I wonder if its a good idea to at least inform the hotels in the area as to the situation. They may have no idea what's happening and like revkev suggested with their industry being very sensitive they may have a VERY strong voice to help resolve this....sled dealers too...

First - I would wait until tomorrow to cancel. The hotel has a 24hr cancellation policy and everyone is working hard to resolve this issue sooner than later. Also, the Quality Inn has been very accommodating with us - they are giving us until tomorrow night to confirm our numbers for the dinner. So.....be patient just one more day and let us hope that this will all be resolved. If things are looking grim for the trails on the weekend by tomorrow afternoon - then let us know if you are cancelling and Maple will adjust the numbers accordingly. We are all hoping for the best :D

Please reference this thread for updates on the ride ...

http://forum.ontarioconditions.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=601

Archived