Why are some sledders such a-holes?

UsedtoSkidoo

Man dead on Redstone= falling through ice

Fatality on Cooks bay= whacking a truck!

Really cant some of you just be smart? Your screwing your family, your friends and the sport.

FRIG! :curse:

Fatality on Cooks bay= whacking a truck

According to A Channel News tonight, the truck & sled rider knew each other. They apparently tried to swerve to avoid hitting each other.

WTF is up w/ that?

According to A Channel News tonight, the truck & sled rider knew each other. They apparently tried to swerve to avoid hitting each other.

WTF is up w/ that?

Chicken?? :wtf:

WTF is up w/ that?

Funny (not literally) but I was thinking the same thing myself...

Tragic

Some additional details;

Police underwater search and rescue unit recovered the body of a local man Saturday who drowned in Redstone Lake after his snowmobile went under the ice Friday night.

At about 10 p.m. Jan. 1, the OPP were called to the lake in the area of Fisherman's Trail after receiving a 911 call.

Scott Hartley, a 43-year-old, was snowmobiling with friends when his machine went through the ice. He was pulled from the water by friends, but as they made their way to shore, Hartley stood up again and once again fell into the icy water.

Police have been searching for the man for hours.

The Haliburton Highlands OPP are reminding everyone to stay off the lakes.

Funny (not literally) but I was thinking the same thing myself...

I was thinking the same when I replied. How else can you explain it?

I was in Port Carling today and saw sleds on the lake... I shook my head... Later that day I talked to a cottager and he said they had a hockey rink set up over x-mas and returned for the New Year and discovered that thier nets had sunk to the bottom...

What are people thinking when they go on the ice??? Stop it already! Go only when you KNOW it is safe!

I am sorry for the families who have lost a loved one... This is an unfortunate lesson to anyone who has or may tempt fate.

Safe sledding!

S

they pulled him from the lake,he stood up and went through again,,,,,wtf :banghead::banghead: :curse: :curse: :curse: :angry:

Really cant some of you just be smart? Your screwing your family, your friends and the sport.

It's hard to believe that every year we read about the same thing. Why don't people learn to be smart out there? :wtf:

I feel for the family and friends of the deceased. Very tragic.

It's hard to believe that every year we read about the same thing. Why don't people learn to be smart out there? :wtf:

There's a segment of the sledding community that no amount of safety warning, messages will reach.

Unfortunately it is like everything else. People killed skiing where they are told not to. ATV accidents that are just stupid.

People swim when they really know it isn't safe to do so.

It is sad and people have to risk their own lives trying to save them.

Just plain stupidity when we have had the up and down weather this winter.

MCTV's 11 PM news tonight had a report of a sledder sinking his sled while trying to skip his sled across the Ottawa River this weekend. He apparently got a Careless Snowmobiling charge from the OPP for his effort.

I was in Port Carling today and saw sleds on the lake... I shook my head... Later that day I talked to a cottager and he said they had a hockey rink set up over x-mas and returned for the New Year and discovered that thier nets had sunk to the bottom...

What are people thinking when they go on the ice??? Stop it already! Go only when you KNOW it is safe!

I am sorry for the families who have lost a loved one... This is an unfortunate lesson to anyone who has or may tempt fate.

Safe sledding!

S

I echo your thoughts... it is so sad for the families and friends that are left behind due to the foolishness of some silly people who think they are invincible. There are people running the ice on Georgian Bay out of Honey Harbour. I asked one of these people about it and the reply... "just go really fast all the time and if you hit thin ice it's just like puddle jumping" Very Scary

You cannot protect the public from stupidity, idiocy, ideology...If this were "kids/teenagers" we were talking about I am sure that everyone on this boeard would say "heh I did something stupid like that once"...and we would blam the hero complex/superman complex. but when capable knowing adults with families do these stupid things I have zero remorse for these idiots. The only remorse I feel is for their families that never knew that Christmas would have been their last together

You cannot protect the public from stupidity, idiocy, ideology...If this were "kids/teenagers" we were talking about I am sure that everyone on this boeard would say "heh I did something stupid like that once"...and we would blam the hero complex/superman complex. but when capable knowing adults with families do these stupid things I have zero remorse for these idiots. The only remorse I feel is for their families that never knew that Christmas would have been their last together

yes you can,charge them for all the recovery expenses,,,, :mrgreen::mrgreen:

If they survive they have to do the recovery or the MNR goes after them. Who do you charge if they don't survive.... damned fools jeopardize the lives of those that go out to try and save them. Last night the news had once again STAY OFF THE ICE! They referenced a guy that was dead in his truck at the bottom of the lake when the truck was recovered and showed some damned fool out doing donuts on the lake in his truck. Hey everybody look at me I'm an idiot doing donuts.

MCTV's 11 PM news tonight had a report of a sledder sinking his sled while trying to skip his sled across the Ottawa River this weekend. He apparently got a Careless Snowmobiling charge from the OPP for his effort.

I was out on the Ottawa River this weekend. Between Rockland and Lefaivre if you stay 20' form the sore your good. Basically passing between the fishing shacks and the shore the whole way. Just don't go in the middle of the river as some spots are still open water.

Who's that hurt but the families left behind? If they survive then I say charge them. But not for a fatality.

I was out on the Ottawa River this weekend. Between Rockland and Lefaivre if you stay 20' form the sore your good. Basically passing between the fishing shacks and the shore the whole way. Just don't go in the middle of the river as some spots are still open water.

Incident in question was in Mattawa.

damned fools jeopardize the lives of those that go out to try and save them.

Spoken in a cottage while dripping water all over the floor:

"It seemed like a good idea at the time".

It's not only the ice but also the marshes that are dangerous still. Last night's news... two sledders near Singhampton (got 50 cm of snow over the weekend) got stuck when they sunk in the marsh. Didn't say if they were off the trail but it was implied as they said the locals know to stay out of there. Frigid temperatures. They had a cell phone but couldn't tell the OPP where they were. The OPP found them using the GPS location from their cell phone.

This is exactly the activity that promotes stupid people to "Hop aboard".... and not to mention the fact that 20' is not that great of a margin... stay off the fffin river!

S

Sled safe

Easy guys please try to remember that someone loved these folks and only by the grace of god do each of us live . These comments can be and are extremely hurtful to any that loved those that are gone .

Archived