Why are some sledders such a-holes?

UsedtoSkidoo

But a lot of us longtime (40 years ago my dad bought his 1st sled) safe snowmobilers are sick & tired of being tarred w/ the same brush as the foolhardy idiots that constantly have the sport in the spotlight for the wrong reasons.

But a lot of us longtime (40 years ago my dad bought his 1st sled) safe snowmobilers are sick & tired of being tarred w/ the same brush as the foolhardy idiots that constantly have the sport in the spotlight for the wrong reasons.

Not every death is a foolhardy idiot some are just mistakes .

Not every death is a foolhardy idiot some are just mistakes .

Your right Bill. Having a personal (two degrees) connection to Scott, the person that lost his life on Redstone Lake, I must say that it is better knowing that someone else did not cause his death. He make an informed decision to cross that lake. He knew full well that there was open water in the centre of the lake and blubbers near the shore. Its not a large lake. He knowingly crossed at night, a lake he viewed from the road earlier that day and noted that there was open water and that the lake was not safe. Is he an idiot?, no. Foolish, unfortunately, yes. A mistake that cost him his life. :(

Scott was a local, he knew the lake, he cottaged on Redstone for many, many years. The true sadness and condolences should be with his friends and family. I am told Scott was a great friend, kind, compassionate, and was there when you needed him, and often even when you didn't, but he was helping out anyway.

These are examples that reinforce the need to maintain an organized snowmobile trail system. Someone to let us know when it is safe and to make us be patient when it is not, or it is unknown.

Very Sad....Maybe a good time to remember, if you ever find yourself in this position for whatever reason, when (if) you get out of the water ROLL AWAY FROM THE OPENING. DO NOT STAND UP. Might be hard to remember at the time but try and keep it in mind.

Very Sad....Maybe a good time to remember, if you ever find yourself in this position for whatever reason, when (if) you get out of the water ROLL AWAY FROM THE OPENING. DO NOT STAND UP. Might be hard to remember at the time but try and keep it in mind.

This is good information. In this case Scott did get out of the water and back on the ice. He stood up and went through again. Roll all the way to shore if you have too!!!

If you ever find yourself in that situation try and calm down, relax your movements, tread water to get your bearings. try to get yourself flat, your ass as far in the air as you can get it, if you have picks dig them, in pull your self up laying flat, kick your feet pull yourself up on the ice heading back to where you broke thru heading toward the area you know held you before you broke thru. Roll, roll and roll some more quickly get at least 25-30' on the ice away from the hole before crawling away and to shore.

Only go on ice you know is confirmed thickness of 10" or more. Stay away from streams or in or out flows. Wear a flotation suit, carry ice-picks.

This is good information. In this case Scott did get out of the water and back on the ice. He stood up and went through again. Roll all the way to shore if you have too!!!

Hi Dom;

There are conflicting reports with regards to what took place. I am very, very close to the people involved in the incident and know EXACTLY what happened but prefer not to comment out of respect for the family's loss. Please, just everyone be safe and say a prayer for the family and all snowmobilers. The funeral is at 11am this morning at Ogden Funeral Home in Scarborough should anyone like to attend.

Hi Dom;

There are conflicting reports with regards to what took place. I am very, very close to the people involved in the incident and know EXACTLY what happened but prefer not to comment out of respect for the family's loss. Please, just everyone be safe and say a prayer for the family and all snowmobilers. The funeral is at 11am this morning at Ogden Funeral Home in Scarborough should anyone like to attend.

That fact is that it happened and it is a tragic loss of life. We can only hope that others learn from this to prevent this from happening as often.

Hi Dom;

That fact is that it happened and it is a tragic loss of life. We can only hope that others learn from this to prevent this from happening as often.

When I was at the Ganny this past weekend, a few snowmobilers told me they rode on Lake Scugog. I asked if it was safe, they said the ice huts were out and some trucks were even on the Lake and the thickness was 12 inches. Personnally, if I don't have to ride on the lakes the better, but if I do, it must be staked. I just wonder how many times these guys have rode on the lakes before, all it takes is one time to be wrong.

More sad news out of Montreal this morning....

Police in Sainte-Marthe-sur-le-Lac say the 38-year-old man and his 13-year-old son were last seen Sunday on Lake of Two Mountains, northwest of Montreal.

Bad enought, but to take your kids out on ice. I don't know.....

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2010/01/11/quebec-missing-snowmobilers-on-lake.html

Saturday on Little Lake - Port Severn a guy went through the ice. He was fortunate enough to make it out and get to the road. A car driving by picked him up. You have to no the ice you are on and if you are not sure is it really worth it. Do you really have to get out there that badly to risk your life.

On Friday night a snowmobiler from Oshawa had to be airlifted from Scugog after he collided w/ a parked van on the lake.

Not a sledder, but an asshat just the same:

On the weekend a man w/ his 3 year old daughter as a passenger, attempted to drive his ATV under the bridge @ the Chemong Lake causeway near Bridgenorth. They went thru the ice, but managed to get out. The OPP charged him w/ dangerous driving. I'm not sure if the ice there is ever safe (i've never ridden on Chemong). The news coverage on CHEX Monday night showed the ATV being winched out of the water.

More sad news out of Montreal this morning....

Police in Sainte-Marthe-sur-le-Lac say the 38-year-old man and his 13-year-old son were last seen Sunday on Lake of Two Mountains, northwest of Montreal.

Bad enought, but to take your kids out on ice. I don't know.....

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2010/01/11/quebec-missing-snowmobilers-on-lake.html

Lake of Two Mountains never freezes over completely, crossing over on 540 you see ice huts along both shores, vehicles on the ice, and people fishing almost in the open water. Been like that for 25 years i've been driving across that bridge. If you look at the picture in the link, you can see the open water. Weather hasn't been as cold as it normally is, sounds like a local that made a mistake, probably went that way lots of times over the years.

On Friday night a snowmobiler from Oshawa had to be airlifted from Scugog after he collided w/ a parked van on the lake.

Not a sledder, but an asshat just the same:

On the weekend a man w/ his 3 year old daughter as a passenger, attempted to drive his ATV under the bridge @ the Chemong Lake causeway near Bridgenorth. They went thru the ice, but managed to get out. The OPP charged him w/ dangerous driving. I'm not sure if the ice there is ever safe (i've never ridden on Chemong). The news coverage on CHEX Monday night showed the ATV being winched out of the water.

I am friends with a guy who knows people in the group that was icefishing that owned the vehicle the guy hit on Scugog. Apparently alcohol was a large factor in the incident.

Archived