updates and facelift for my nytro

skidooboy

well, after finally getting a subframe, and some birthday gifts, i put the mtx through another nip tuck session with my wrenchin partner grapeape yesterday.

with the new subframe installed while we were outwest (big thanks to michelle at oregon trail yamaha) we installed, ulmers oilite bushings in the timber sled front end, ulmers air filter kit, some new graphics from arcticFX (40th anniversary clones in blue instead of the oem red), new powerclaw track, aligned the track and front end to one another, cleaned her up, and decided to take a few pics and ride it up the street for her maiden voyage.

throttle response is crisp from what i gathered in the few hundred feet i rode it. the new power commander with ulmer maps should really wake her up. with the clutching exhaust, filters and the commander she should rip. the ulmers know their stuff. and i love the customer service we recieve from them. allen really helped my wife get me some nice goodies for my birthday without me knowing. (THANKS AL!)

nice to see the a arms, and shocks all sitting inline with one another for the first time since i have owned the sled. if the last ride was any indication on how the sled rides, i should be very happy our next trip with the suspension, subframe and track upgrades.

hope you enjoy the pics, and update and hope to see you somewhere north of the soo very soon. ski

92_2a6bedf59cca6cdaf0f0a726bcc1f524

92_5230e7391131d1614a752d13ea8e5761

92_5a0b4c8881f245d1856d4d38417dcfa7

I recall seeing the 40th Anniversary, and yours looks 'cleaner'.

Great work. Awesome looking sled.

Can't really see the work on a arms and shocks (old eyes aren't what they used to be :lol: ), but I checked some images of the 40th anniversary, and see that your front end is more linear.

Here's the 40th Anniv. Yamaha for those not yet converted to the dark side...

75_60fd94f02ed31a89789acd905e476985

129_18907b84a3dbccad7eb0d71b4fceeeb9

129_bd615b6a7113af9277bf0f9ee570ce8c

pretty slick 8-)

Looks good skidooboy!!

:woot:

lynne and i both have the mountain version of the fx nytro. she has had very little problems and like hers well. i have had a less stellar time with mine. it has never tracked well on the trail. it was down right scarey to ride over 30mph. i was actually affraid to ride this sled on the trails at speed. i have replaced the subframe as i was thinking that was the biggest obstacle this sled has had. i believe it was out of spec from the day i picked it up.

i have always liked the 4 stroke for the fuel economy, no injection oil, no smell, not worrying about fuel octane or quality. love the efi for starts and throttle response. and i really like the sled in the deeper snow offtrail. but you have to ride trails to get there and you need to be comfortable. to be candid if i cant get this sled to work better for my comfort level, it will be sold and i will buy an xp summit, or an m8.

the last ride was alot better than the sled has ever been, and i still had to replace the subframe, and upgrade the crappy maverick track. i am hoping in my pea brain these latest upgrades will make me love the sled even more. ski

hmm wonder what happened to the post I made this morning on here?? :wtf:

anyway the jist of it was

Nice upgrades ski.

I found a nice big 2 ft high boulder under the snow at the bottom of the big dip (creek bed) about 3/4 way up the hill on t7 before the power line while I was wading around in there putting in some pallets last night. From the little that was left of your tracks it looks like you missed it my about 2 inches. That definately woulda tweaked your bulkhead, I'm sure you'll be extra cautious now.

Lynne must be quite the rider to follow you up there. I'm sure a lot of guys wouldn't have tried and being second is ussually harder IMO.

thanks again for packing it down a bit. I'm sure it saved me a lot of time getting up the hill. I wasn't easy but I got it packed to the power line.

hopefully we didnt make it harder on you to pack the trail up there gord. do you always pack that going up? is it easier or harder to pack that trail comming down the big hill? just curious.

thanks for the comment about lynne, and yes she is quite the rider. she is alot harder on herself then any of us in our group are on ourselves. she get frustrated, but always manages a smile, and gets to where we are. i dont know of many women that would try to ride up there, let alone want to go up there when it is untracked. i found a good one for sure. and she sure is alot nicer to wake up next to in the hotel after a day of powder blasting.

glad we didnt break anything on the sleds up there, would have been a heck of a long walk out. LOL!

ski

ken the windshield is a yamaha accy mid height. it looks low but, the flares and upper lip really keep the wind off your chest and upper body. i try not to go up when it is super cold so, i opt for a lower shield.

dave i havent tested the mileage on trail yet. offtrail i am getting between 10-13mpg.

ski

You don't like the Maverik?

I have a 162 in the garage waiting for time. ??? (2 yrs now)

That said - I was sure liking swinging the 144 around this weekend compared to the 151. Just that little bit is VERY noticeable when piviting around by hand! Of course the 162 would only be worse.... :wtf:

I haven't been in the Col powder in a cpl yrs now. Otherwise I wouldn't be talking that non-sence. LOL!

[not that I am in the market, but] I would like a 4 stroker, but the starting issue is a real stumbling block. Guys are forever having issues with their 4strokes at Halfway (as well as everywhere else I am sure) when it gits down to -30* or beyond. He has a batt charger/booster there within reach of most sleds - so that helps a LOT, but what if a feller was parked (camped, left in the bush, or whatnot) and was out of reach of hydro?

My hypothesis on this is that these guys could git together and:

A) Take the batts inside at night. (park in front of Buddy Heater if camping)

B) Git 3 batts and hook together in parrallel and git ONE machine going and warm, and then on to the next.

C) I s'pose there are batt upgrades available as well - and they could be kept fresh too...

Instead everyone seems to go run down the batts and then be in crisis mode.

I have never been involved in a 4stroker - so I am only guessing and hypothisizing via my concerns. I am sick to death of wrenching on 2 strokes! I can doo it as well as the next guy. But I generally have much more important things to doo - and if I have time to build a grenade by some odd chance - I'd rather go kick back on the couch and watch Gunsmoke! (or half of it maybe ;) )

How cold have you been with it and how has it acted so far?

FWIW - I am starting to like the warmer weekends :idea: ...

That -40 stuff is really only good once for bragging rights. :lol:

Yett another edit:

Those critters got mech reverse?

do you always pack that going up? is it easier or harder to pack that trail comming down the big hill? just curious.

ski

we have to haul a lot of pallets up there to fill the wet spots and going from that end its not to far back out to the highway to get another load. took about a dozen to get to the power line at the top of the hill.

ox, the older carbed 4 strokes had the most starting issues. our efi's have been to -30 several times. i cycle the key listen to the fuel rail charge about 3-4 times when it is super cold, then hit the key. it may rollover slow but it usually lights within the first few rolls of the motor. i actually went from a ytz20 to a ytz10 (10 pound weight reduction), havent had any issues. grapeape has an efi apex mtx he has been running the ytz10 for 4 years and has had zero starting issues with his sled. his sled has been to -30 or colder a few times as well.

not saying they cant have a starting problem but, the efi makes it alot easier to start them and keep them running when they are started. yamaha offers a coolant heater to plug in at night as well if you think you may have issues. 30 bux and the sled is warm all night and ready to go in the am.

as for the maverick, goto snowest. they are a love hate relationship for the most part. seems the western canadian guys that ride soft fluffy powder with no moisture love them. guys that ride wetter or more set up snow, end up complaining of paddles folding over and then, they dont hook up very well bent the wring way.

mine was fine last year, but the paddles started folding over at the end of the rides. now they just stay that way. both sleds sucked in wyoming and montana this year due to that track. some guys say you can turn them around and run them backward, and they are better but, i wasnt taking any chances. if i had the track out it was getting replaced. didnt want to have to do that again. i have 2 153x2.25 3 pitch fully clipped tracks (one is ported one is not). i am selling them 150.00 shipped if you wanted to try a 153 maverick.

heck if i cant get the nytro to ride the way i want, you can buy a really tricked out nytro for a fraction of the cost of new. i'll be looking for an xp or Mcat. LOL! i really cant get used to the rider forward thing. that is MOST OF MY PROBLEM. and it truley is my problem not the sled.

yes they have mechanical reverse. alittle heavier and more cumbersome than RER but you dont need special helix's in the clutching. pull back on the lever listen to the beep, and back up, push the lever forward to go forward. easy peasy japaneesy. we'll have to hook up so you can ride them and check them out. i would love to get into the back country near halfway. never explored there much. the cowriverripper sounds like he has a good grasp on the area as well. maybe we could have a ride in, and meet to tear up the backcountry. ski

ski

as for the maverick, goto snowest.

Been there. LOL!

i have 2 153x2.25 3 pitch fully clipped tracks (one is ported one is not). i am selling them 150.00 shipped if you wanted to try a 153 maverick.

Seen your ad. I Shirely don't need to buy another one! I have a spare drive shaft with 3 pitch extros already on it, New 162 rails, and 16" x 2.5" (?) track ready to go. Just need time to replace my tunnel! (SHOT - BIG TYME!)

I have already had the whole deal in the 144 sled 2 yrs ago while in Col and realized the rails they sent me were for a Rev instead of a Zx. :o:banghead: But wanting to put in my 151 machine instead now.

the cowriverripper sounds like he has a good grasp on the area as well. maybe we could have a ride in, and meet to tear up the backcountry.

Oh - I know exactly where's he's talkin' aboot. Just never been on those rivers. I have been wanting to for yrs tho.

In a few weeks the hydro through there will be all tore up fer-who-tied'm. Me and my chumm usta be the only ones that tore that up. So much so - that one time a few yrs ago Mark Smedts ripped us a new one for going on and off the [new then] plowed road repeatedly and out onto the hydro to play. (Not the trail) He just knew it was us! ...and that the loggers were gunna git pi$$ed if they had'ta keep watch out fer snowmachines on their section of solitary road! (Which I can understand.) However - it wasn't us. We had just got to Halfway from the S that night and hadn't been north yet. That - and all the new roads going in there in the last 10 yrs has really messed up our riding. LOL!

So some hosers out there got some good riding in at our expence. :wtf:

The only crew that I know that played like that through there around that time was the group outta Midland. :? (I will leave them un-named tho, and I think their website has been down for quite some time now. ;) )

Potlickers! :wavey:

Eric; Sled looks hot, hope it works the way you want it to...

Got about 500 miles on my new XTX and pretty much got it dialed in, took a bunch of work, but now it works as good as my 144" Gade did. The Ulmer A-arm bushings are must and a set of decent skis, other than that, just a whole bunch of fine tuning the suspension. Really pleased with how the 3-lunger works! :woot:

hey ski looks like a big crew will be landing in wawa for a weekend of powder riding and hill climbing at the fume kill on the last weekend of january if you want to try that new track out.

I think my turbo is gonna get a 2 inch 144" for that weekend. ;)

ox, the older carbed 4 strokes had the most starting issues. our efi's have been to -30 several times. i cycle the key listen to the fuel rail charge about 3-4 times when it is super cold, then hit the key. it may rollover slow but it usually lights within the first few rolls of the motor. i actually went from a ytz20 to a ytz10 (10 pound weight reduction), havent had any issues. grapeape has an efi apex mtx he has been running the ytz10 for 4 years and has had zero starting issues with his sled. his sled has been to -30 or colder a few times as well.

not saying they cant have a starting problem but, the efi makes it alot easier to start them and keep them running when they are started. yamaha offers a coolant heater to plug in at night as well if you think you may have issues. 30 bux and the sled is warm all night and ready to go in the am.

as for the maverick, goto snowest. they are a love hate relationship for the most part. seems the western canadian guys that ride soft fluffy powder with no moisture love them. guys that ride wetter or more set up snow, end up complaining of paddles folding over and then, they dont hook up very well bent the wring way.

mine was fine last year, but the paddles started folding over at the end of the rides. now they just stay that way. both sleds sucked in wyoming and montana this year due to that track. some guys say you can turn them around and run them backward, and they are better but, i wasnt taking any chances. if i had the track out it was getting replaced. didnt want to have to do that again. i have 2 153x2.25 3 pitch fully clipped tracks (one is ported one is not). i am selling them 150.00 shipped if you wanted to try a 153 maverick.

heck if i cant get the nytro to ride the way i want, you can buy a really tricked out nytro for a fraction of the cost of new. i'll be looking for an xp or Mcat. LOL! i really cant get used to the rider forward thing. that is MOST OF MY PROBLEM. and it truley is my problem not the sled.

yes they have mechanical reverse. alittle heavier and more cumbersome than RER but you dont need special helix's in the clutching. pull back on the lever listen to the beep, and back up, push the lever forward to go forward. easy peasy japaneesy. we'll have to hook up so you can ride them and check them out. i would love to get into the back country near halfway. never explored there much. the cowriverripper sounds like he has a good grasp on the area as well. maybe we could have a ride in, and meet to tear up the backcountry. ski

ski

We were in Shining Tree/Timmins this week in -35-45 temps. My 09 Nytro XTX started at -39 in Shining Tree but the next morning -38 we needed to boost it from buddy's 08 800 renegade. Never tried the extra cycling of the fuel pump. It goes into the dealer on Tuesday for coolant heater just in case we caught again in extreme cold.

What are you referring to "i actually went from a ytz20 to a ytz10 "?

ytz 20 is the part number for stock battery size. lots of guys run the ytz7 for about 12-13 pound weight reduction up front. i opted for the ytz10 which has more cca (cold cranking amps) than the ytz 7 and still gives a 10 pound weight reduction. ski

Archived