HELP!!! -- Need accommodation ideas for New Liskeard area

irREVerent

One of the stop-overs we had booked (almost 2 months ago) for our Feb. saddle-bag tour in the north was Bay Lake B & B in Latchford...based on the recommendation of a couple of OC members. Well, guess what?...we had a call from the owner yesterday advising us that she can't honour our reservation, because she has just sold the property, and the new owners will be occupying the units we had booked, with their own family.

We're not amused... :evil:

So, at the moment, our little group of six is SOL for accommodation that night (February 23rd...of course it had to be a Saturday night) and are now anxious to find some other spot in the Tri-town area...preferably in/around New Liskeard.

Some time spent on the phone last night revealed that weekend to be hockey tournament time (imagine...a hockey tournament in NL in February!....who knew??? :lol: ), so all 3 of our primary alternative choices are already booked solid (Quality Inn, Econo Inn, Waterfront Inn)...likewise Viv's B & B in NL, and the Leisure Inn in Haileybury.

The other potential choices appear to be Auberge Country Inn in NL (called them, but they are tight), Haileybury Beach Motel and Edgewater Motel in Haileybury, and Silverland Inn in Cobalt. Can anybody provide any feedback on any of these choices? We don't need the Ritz, but do want it to be clean and comfortable, with a restaurant on-site or close by, and equally important, easy-to-find and directly accessible off the trail without running miles of (potentially bare) roads.

Any tips and feedback much appreciated...we need to move fast before all of our meagre choices are gone.

Not a good impression of the new owners. I guess time will tell if they are still a recommended place to stay.

Yes, I'll keep that in mind for my listings.

That's 2 hockey tournaments in NL this February :roll: . We couldn't get into the QI on the 9th (staying @ the Auberge).

The Motel d'Earlton is nice, but lacks a restaurant :(

I can't help you otherwise.

Yes, I'll keep that in mind for my listings.

That's 2 hockey tournaments in NL this February :roll: . We couldn't get into the QI on the 9th (staying @ the Auberge).

The Motel d'Earlton is nice, but lacks a restaurant :(

I can't help you otherwise.

Thanks anyway, revrnd...looks like Auberge is it for us too...hopefully they have easy trail access.

We thought briefly about pushing on to Earlton, but didn't want to go that far...and it would be nice to have some place for dinner as well.

Two of the other Tri-Town possibilities in my original post are also fully booked for that weekend. Apparently Liskeard is the centre of the universe in February... :lol:

Sorry to hear.

Try this link to accomodations in Tri-Town area.

http://www.tritownchamber.ca

On right side, is a blue heading labelled Tourism and Visitor information.

Click on accomodations, and it will direct you to an 11 page pdf file.

Lots of little known places.

We always stay at Quality Inn, and have seen many people turned away due to hockey tournaments. Only other thing I can suggest is call the hotel directly, as opposed to Quality Inn Reservations.

Lastly - try to get owner of B and B to call. They may have more 'pull' . They'll explain what happenned, etc.

Good luck.

Sorry to hear.

Try this link to accomodations in Tri-Town area.

http://www.tritownchamber.ca

On right side, is a blue heading labelled Tourism and Visitor information.

Click on accomodations, and it will direct you to an 11 page pdf file.

Lots of little known places.

We always stay at Quality Inn, and have seen many people turned away due to hockey tournaments. Only other thing I can suggest is call the hotel directly, as opposed to Quality Inn Reservations.

Lastly - try to get owner of B and B to call. They may have more 'pull' . They'll explain what happenned, etc.

Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestions, Canuck...we did a "Temiskaming Shores" accommodations search quite similar to what you suggested. Trouble is, a number of those little-known places are also "out of the way", in the sense of not being anywhere near the trail. We will be finishing the second day of our saddle-bag tour (i.e. not arriving by truck & trailer), so don't have to option of driving very far off the trail network.

We have managed to confirm accommodation at the Auberge Country Inn, so that's where we'll stop over that night.

What about driving in to Elk Lake?Its only 20mins in from the hyw. at NL.

Thanks, anyway, hi-mileage...that isn't an option, because we'll be ending Day 2 of our saddle-bag tour in Liskeard, arriving by sled, not truck...passing through Elk Lake on trail the next morning.

I have stayed in Haileybury a few years back just up from the lake and for the life of me I can't remember the name. It was a decent place though. I think it may have been the leisure in based on what you said below.

Thanks anyway, revrnd...looks like Auberge is it for us too...hopefully they have easy trail access.

Easy access.

It's between the Husky & the QI, so you just have to go across Hwy 11 to the Econo if you're heading towards the river or past the QI to hit the trail that goes towards Quebec.

There is an accessible place in Cobalt called Marsh Bay Resort. They have a couple winterized cottages, quite nice, and there is a truck stop/retaurant real close. If you haven't found anything do a search on the above name.

Archived