Groomer sightings

Mossy

You may have to make some calls to find out who the contact is in your area.

This is where I become confused every single time this topic comes up. Perhaps you could help explain it to me?

How can a volunteer be so busy, and I understand that they are busy, that they cannot spend two minutes to post the date and time for everyone to see. But they can spend, say, twenty minutes answering phone calls that would have been answered by the two minutes of work? It doesn't make any sense. I am sure there is real justification for the way it is done, but whenever the topic is brought up it always seems to be skirted around.

We all know volunteers have lives outside of the snowmobile club. Of course they do. So, why then, would they chose to spend twenty minutes or more coordinating volunteers when the job can be done in two?

Here we go, all i'm saying is it's not up to the volunteers from the snowmobile club to hold your hand and come to your house and put your pants on and give you a ride to the field so that you can pound some stakes in. If you are really serious about volunteering then you would have done so already.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you are really serious about volunteering then you would have done so already.

Oh, you are absolutely right, but you are also saying that the clubs do not want anyone to casually lend a hand now and again. Nothing wrong with that, if that is what the clubs want. But I hear the call for volunteers enough that I suspect you are wrong on that assertion.

I believe I asked a fairly simple and straightforward question. It concerns me that you were unable to truly address it. I have to admit, that is one of the things that scares me away from helping. I do not want to join an organization I do not know anything about. But my, in my opinion, simple question got you on the defense. With all due respect, that tells me there is something wrong.

Also my schedule this weekend is 3 hockey games!

:o holy puck :wavey:

Welcome to Hockey! ;)

Between kid and I we will be on ice 6 times on weekend!

Yes, during this wonderful festive season, I am a hockey widow....and then, in another month, I will be a snowmobiler's widow....figuratively...of course!!!

Welcome to Hockey! ;)

Yes, during this wonderful festive season, I am a hockey widow....and then, in another month, I will be a snowmobiler's widow....figuratively...of course!!!

You must get awfully lonely ;)8-)

(don't read this post Mossy ! ) :P :P

Welcome to Hockey! ;)

I suppose I shouldn't answer that, should I?

:crazy:

Welcome to Hockey! ;)

MOSSY/MRS.STG

DO NOT READ THIS POST !

It's ok. You can tell me. Nobody else is listening. :D

ChoclaTini ? ? 8-)

Welcome to Hockey! ;)

MOSSY/MRS.STG

DO NOT READ THIS POST !

It's ok. You can tell me. Nobody else is listening. :D

ChoclaTini ? ? 8-)

Should I put on my fuzzy pink Yamaha sweater? :rotflmao:

Oh yeah! I forgot to mention I am the youth driver trainer. So does that mean I shouldn't make any phone calls? I've had numerous people stop me and ask when the course is because their son or daughter's birthday is on whatever date and I make arangements to get that person fit into the couse or I train them after the course date, on my time!

As for me being "off the hook", I don't see it as beeing on the hook!

Thanks for your time!

Skidoer: You need to remember that there are alot more snowmobilers including club executive that do not use this site than those that do use it. There are alot of club executive that don't even use a computer and a number that may use a computer casually but are not comfortable enough to use them to post information such as that which you mention. The trailboss and most of the guys that put the trail in on my land are examples of this. Many individual clubs do not have websites so they can't use that media to post dates for trailwork.

This is not to say that your idea is not a good idea. Maybe you should approach your local club and volunteer to post such information on OC and collect the responses to pass on to the trailboss. Maybe you could help to construct or operate a club website. You are obviously quite versed on computers & I'm sure if you went to a local club meeting and offered your computer talents, that they would be greatfully accepted. If you did this and it accomplishes what you believe it can accomplish then you would really be helping to solve a major problem that most clubs today are facing.

Hu'mmmm, maybe club workdate information postings could be an addition to the board index on OC

I,ll add a couple points, just as example, I am the clubs, webmaster, trail reporter, VIA coordinator, on the board of directors, email answerer type dude, thats all I can think of for now :confused::lol: , and ya know what! most of the time the stakes magically appear before I even know its happening. Gotta go when the conditions are right.

Ours are usually done by Farmers and shift workers, guys you may only see once or twice a year, so weekends dont always mean work time, could be anytime. Most sections are done by guys who do their farm a few others here and there until its all done. I like the idea of a organized staking day, but it never works out for weather, or crops, or hunting season, etc. here in the south.

I did hook a kid up to help stake for his volunteer hours, but have not succesfully hooked up the one other offer, for the above reasons.

My advice is always "come to a meeting, please!", emails and "let me know when I can help" are always great, but a face to face at a meeting brings alot more understanding of how things work and a little one on one goes along way. IMHO

Staking is just one of the many things to do, help at Family day bbq, or Poker run in the gut wagon, or landowner breakfast(canceled for us as no one to run it) are always hard to find.

Kingpin and PLC had some good points, but Im sure there are some old boys clubs, I was recruted when they saw the informal trail reports I was doing and now look whats happpened :lol: . So if you can get out to a meeting and see whats up, maybe they arent interested, at least you,ll know for sure then.

Dont give, up I know I could likely do a better job coordinating these things, so Im sure its the same with others. We could sure use some new blood.

Cheers, Todd

I,ll add a couple points, just as example, I am the clubs, webmaster, trail reporter, VIA coordinator, on the board of directors, email answerer type dude, thats all I can think of for now :confused::lol: , and ya know what! most of the time the stakes magically appear before I even know its happening. Gotta go when the conditions are right.

Ours are usually done by Farmers and shift workers, guys you may only see once or twice a year, so weekends dont always mean work time, could be anytime. Most sections are done by guys who do their farm a few others here and there until its all done. I like the idea of a organized staking day, but it never works out for weather, or crops, or hunting season, etc. here in the south.

I did hook a kid up to help stake for his volunteer hours, but have not succesfully hooked up the one other offer, for the above reasons.

My advice is always "come to a meeting, please!", emails and "let me know when I can help" are always great, but a face to face at a meeting brings alot more understanding of how things work and a little one on one goes along way. IMHO

Staking is just one of the many things to do, help at Family day bbq, or Poker run in the gut wagon, or landowner breakfast(canceled for us as no one to run it) are always hard to find.

Kingpin and PLC had some good points, but Im sure there are some old boys clubs, I was recruted when they saw the informal trail reports I was doing and now look whats happpened :lol: . So if you can get out to a meeting and see whats up, maybe they arent interested, at least you,ll know for sure then.

Dont give, up I know I could likely do a better job coordinating these things, so Im sure its the same with others. We could sure use some new blood.

Cheers, Todd

You might even meet new friends try a club meeting you might like it!

Sooo, with the exception of the few first posts, what the hell does all this yip-yap have to do with groomer sightings?? :coffeenose:

Sooo Av42medics, have you run into any on your travels? :poke:

Sooo, with the exception of the few first posts, what the hell does all this yip-yap have to do with groomer sightings?? :coffeenose:

Sorry, likely the first time any post went of topic on this site eh! :rotflmao:

I know, it's sad. I thought thats why we had the "private message" feature.

Now back on to the original topic....

Have you seen any groomers? :wtf:

Wow...some one is grumpy.... :angry:

thread hijacking is status quo....right UTS?

Have you seen any groomers? :wtf:

Nope...was talking to some guys Mitchell way and they said they cant get out to stake. Their ATV's are getting stuck in the snow pulling the wagon. :wtf:

I always thought that the topic heading was sort of like a 'loss leader' ... Gets your interest and then anything goes :rotflmao:

Or like 'Bits & Bites', next post, a whole new ball game :lol:

I always thought that the topic heading was sort of like a 'loss leader' ... Gets your interest and then anything goes :rotflmao:

Classic!! :coffeespit::rotflmao:

we use the mobile vet groomer for buddy, just call and they come to your house! WALLAAAH, YOUR DOGGY IS FRESHLY GROOMED

go green

go fast

go home

SAFE

or in my case, i thought this thread was about groover sitings :wavey:

So they know if you are serious about volunteering you will it's that simple, so all that's left is to go and stand infront of them and say i'm here let's get this done.

I was serious, so I turned my efforts to help the user formally known as LuvMyViper with this forum. Sure, it doesn't get the stakes in the ground, but from my point of view discussing snowmobiling is as much fun and just as important as actually being out there.

While I understand where you are coming from, all the clubs have access to this site, the OFSC site, etc., etc. If they have time to answer even one email or phone call, they have time to post where and when for everyone to see. And then they don't need to answer any more emails or phone calls. It's win-win for everyone. Yet, nobody does it. Why?

i have to go with skidooer on this one... ppl are always saying to get out and help your club. ppl on this site say it all the time, i think there should be a fourm for trail work, but if u where to do it most ppl would not use it , just keep on telling ppl to get out and help. there are lots of ppl on this sit that do trail work or are part of a club, am sure there is one person from ever club in ontario on this sit. so if u need help why dont u post it so other ppl will know about it .the clubs can right on there club pages about driving school and snow reports, i cant see it being to hard to put on there about trail work. ppl get upset when the give there time and no one calls them back. and then all u hear on sits is to go help out.,,, sorry for the yam yam but just getting sick of hearing, go help your club. and to everone that dos do trail work,,,,,THANKS>>>

one more thing is that some ppl dont get is that some ppl work there ass of all year so they can go snowmobiling. so they dont have time to get out. some ppl work 44 a week and some work 65 hours or more a week. just somthing to think about.

Archived