Groomer sightings

Mossy

There has been groomer sightings in the Auburn area!!!! :woot:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have a decent amount of snow right now but when the rain comes tomorow there won't be much left on the feilds. Do I think the trails will be open? Not this weekend. Maybe in a couple weeks if the farmers can get out and get the corn off!

We have a decent amount of snow right now but when the rain comes tomorow there won't be much left on the feilds. Do I think the trails will be open? Not this weekend. Maybe in a couple weeks if the farmers can get out and get the corn off!

I am sure that the farmers very much wish to harvest their crops . I wish them luck . It is thier livelihood.

I am sure that the farmers very much wish to harvest their crops . I wish them luck . It is thier livelihood.

It's really NO different than a water/lake crossing that is not staked by the local club.

The same rule applies guys, if you don’t know DON’T GO!

Respect our land owners especially this time of year because this is when we can do the most damage to THEIR property.

As late as last Saturday night there were no stakes in most of the Blyth trails. I was told that there was still alot of corn to be combined.

I think the people that do the staking may be suffering from lack of volunteer helpers as well. If anyone out there can offer some help, they could contact Bruce Howson at 519-523-9624

I meet Bruce a couple of years ago!

Tonight when I was getting home I saw a 3 sleds screaming across the trail brhind the restaraunt tonight. it got me to thinking if these clowns get caught they should help out pounding some stakes in!

As for helping. i've been talking to Scott Kernighan (trail co-ordinator) and offered to help. He told me he would call. I've also asked to be trained on the groomer. The response I got was "We have enough operators". Also my schedule this weekend is 3 hockey games!

Also my schedule this weekend is 3 hockey games!

:o holy puck :wavey:

Welcome to Hockey! ;)

Between kid and I we will be on ice 6 times on weekend!

I'll have a close associatiion with ice this weekend too.

In my glass. :D

Welcome to Hockey! ;)

Probably more than six times! ;)

Welcome to Hockey! ;)

:D:D:D:D:D

Mossy im in the same boat i have volunteered every year with my local club in wingham for 3 years and i keep getting the same "we will call you".

I meet Bruce a couple of years ago!

Tonight when I was getting home I saw a 3 sleds screaming across the trail brhind the restaraunt tonight. it got me to thinking if these clowns get caught they should help out pounding some stakes in!

As for helping. i've been talking to Scott Kernighan (trail co-ordinator) and offered to help. He told me he would call. I've also asked to be trained on the groomer. The response I got was "We have enough operators". Also my schedule this weekend is 3 hockey games!

Mossy im in the same boat i have volunteered every year with my local club in wingham for 3 years and i keep getting the same "we will call you".

Interestingly, the same thing happened to me. Never did receive that call, yet the trails seemed to still spring up on their own.

Welcome to Hockey! ;)

Well thats no different than any other weekend is it?

Welcome to Hockey! ;)

Or most Weekdays ! :D

Welcome to Hockey! ;)

Or most Weekdays ! :D

or by 10:00 a.m.!

Interestingly, the same thing happened to me. Never did receive that call, yet the trails seemed to still spring up on their own.

Odd.

Same thing happened to me this year. I replied to a post on this board...they suggested I stay closer to home and help my club. Fair enough. I emailed the OFSC (link on website) and they gave me an email address for the local club. After 2 emails I got the "We will let you know" email. Wouldn't you know it, I passed them staking the fields a couple weekends ago. I guess that boys club has enough members.

Ok before everyone jumps on this band wagon of I volunteered and they didn't answer so i'm off the hook.

First of all you are not dealing with a corporation here it's people with full time jobs and families and running kids back and forth to hockey and all the things that consume our daily lives. The only difference they also find the time to volunteer for a snowmobile club and yes they problably could be better organized and work harder at volunteer recruitment but to them it's just another thing for them to do that they don't have time for. Recruiting volunteers and then training them and supervising them all takes a great deal of time. Some of the more organized groups have volunteers just to recruit and train and supervise other volunteers but for the vast majority of the clubs it's just a handfull of people that don't have the resources to dedicate to this. Volunteer's need to have safety training and proper instruction.

For the most part their intentions are good and really do want help but fall short on the implimentation. Yes there are those old boys club that don't want any outside help and that's to bad because those people will burn out at some time and they will not have anyone ready to step in and take over and that's when you see trails close and clubs start to stumble.

I find it best to just show up, whether it's to a meeting or for trail work. When you see that group of people out in the field staking jump in your car and run down to Tim Horton's and grab a tray full of coffee's and go and sit at the next road crossing, nothing breaks the ice better than a good old Tim's double double. Next thing you know you have a new group of friends with a common goal and a new sense of pride in your club.

I moved to a new community 5 years ago and did not know one person in the area, I simply picked up the phone and didn't ask if they need help because I already know that they do need it all the clubs do, I asked the question when and where and I showed up. Don't give the oh by the way if you need some help sometime give me a call. That doesn't work because 99% of people that say that don't mean it and the club could have a full time volunteer chasing down people that say it and don't mean it.

So they know if you are serious about volunteering you will it's that simple, so all that's left is to go and stand infront of them and say i'm here let's get this done.

So they know if you are serious about volunteering you will it's that simple, so all that's left is to go and stand infront of them and say i'm here let's get this done.

I was serious, so I turned my efforts to help the user formally known as LuvMyViper with this forum. Sure, it doesn't get the stakes in the ground, but from my point of view discussing snowmobiling is as much fun and just as important as actually being out there.

While I understand where you are coming from, all the clubs have access to this site, the OFSC site, etc., etc. If they have time to answer even one email or phone call, they have time to post where and when for everyone to see. And then they don't need to answer any more emails or phone calls. It's win-win for everyone. Yet, nobody does it. Why?

While some of us enjoy and utilize thie site, I'm sure that there are alot of club executive and club volunteers that don't. They may never know that you are looking to help if you post here.

The best thing to do is as Kp006 mentioned, show up and get at it. In order to do that, you need to know where and when. The best way to find out is as mentioned, ask directly what date and time. The best person to ask this is the club trailmaster / trailboss / trail co-ordinater.

You may have to make some calls to find out who the contact is in your area. If you are serious, don't wait for a call, make the call again. Having been a trailmaster, I know that sometimes they receive a call but are unable to (for various reasons/diaper ) retain the name and/or phone# of the perspective volunteer. If you are calling, ask if it's a good time to talk or if you would be better to contact the person later. If you can give them your name / contact info. in writing or an Email, that's even better cause lord knows my memory ain't great!

Believe me, most clubs need more volunteers and most of us old stake pounders would be glad to get some new blood holding the pounder handles. Oh by the way, the comaradarie (big word!) is great.

You may have to make some calls to find out who the contact is in your area.

This is where I become confused every single time this topic comes up. Perhaps you could help explain it to me?

How can a volunteer be so busy, and I understand that they are busy, that they cannot spend two minutes to post the date and time for everyone to see. But they can spend, say, twenty minutes answering phone calls that would have been answered by the two minutes of work? It doesn't make any sense. I am sure there is real justification for the way it is done, but whenever the topic is brought up it always seems to be skirted around.

We all know volunteers have lives outside of the snowmobile club. Of course they do. So, why then, would they chose to spend twenty minutes or more coordinating volunteers when the job can be done in two?

Although you do have to admit that it is pretty funny that whenever a timesaving idea is put forward the response is not "that isn't going to work because..." it is "the volunteers are too busy to spend less time volunteering." :lol:

Archived