Bill 117, call to action

Sled Talk Blog

Folks I thought I would pass along the information on this alarming bill which is being quietly pushed through the system.

Bill 117 is being proposed as a private members bill by Helene Jaczek, the Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Health Promotion, a Liberal MPP representing the Markham riding. Bill 117 proposes that children under 14 be prohibited from riding on motorcycles as passengers. Bill 117 received its first reading October 27th, 2008, its second reading is scheduled for December 4th, 2008. Following its third reading the Bill receives Royal Assent and is then passed into law.

The MMIC has been actively lobbying against the Bill 117 arguing there is not any supporting statistics behind the Bill.

I seldom get wrapped up in the politics of Ontario but this one really hits home. My daughter and I have had some great 'ice-cream' rides along the shores of Lake Simcoe... whats next snowmobiles? boats? I'm sure this woman means well but this is ludicrous and unfounded...

If you agree please sign the on line petitionhttp://www.ipetitions.com/petition/againstbill117/?e (at the least) and let anyone know who might currently enjoy the freedoms of deciding what is responsible and right for their families.

Here is the text of a form letter that is being used to forward to your MPP. It contains some interesting stats on the actual risks to date:

To: MPP

Re: Helena Jaczek MPP for Markham -- Private Members Bill 117

As a motorcyclist living and paying taxes in the province of Ontario, I do not support Bill 117, An Act to amend the Highway Traffic Act to prohibit riding a motorcycle with passengers under 14 years of age, introduced by Helena Jaczek MPP for Markham as a private members bill.

This proposed bill is not based on any scientific research and she did not even ask people who ride what they thought of this. Motorcycles in Canada are designed for the safe use of riders and passengers and this MPP is trying to take away my right to enjoy what I consider to be a great experience with my kids.

With the cost of fuel and the economic challenges families face everyday there are thousands of people in Ontario now using motorcycles and scooters as an economical means of transportation to commute to work, pick up kids and run errands. There needs to be serious consideration given to the damage Bill 117 can do to families who are already facing tough economic times.

“Here is the quote from a letter sent by Raynald Marchand, General Manager of the Canada Safety Council to Helena Jaczek, MPP Oak Ridges-Markham, the Premier and the Minister of Transportation. “It is the CSC's position that there is no statistical evidence to support this legislation.”… ‘ I reviewed all seven Ontario Road Safety Annual Reports from 1999 to 2005. I did not find any fatalities for motorcycle passengers less than 14 years of age. I also looked at injuries for motorcycle passengers less than 16 years of age and compared them to bicycle passengers less than 16 years of age and car passengers less than 16 years of age over the same period (1999 to 2005). Ontarian children were four times (4x) more likely to have been injured as passengers on bicycles and 262 times more likely to have been injured as passengers in passenger vehicles than to have been injured as passengers on motorcycles.”

Bill 117 has created a lot of turmoil in the riding community. Family trips are in jeopardy and tourists from other provinces and states are wondering how they can plan trips across Canada if they have to detour around Ontario. So much for tourism in Ontario or for that matter so much for parents being able to decide what’s best for their own families.

I am asking you as my MPP to vote against Bill 117 on December 4, 2008 during private members business.

Regards,

Sorry for the long post, hope you can help stop this bogus law.

cheers

cr

This is how we ended up with Bicycle helmet laws. Another woman in politics trying to make a name for herself. If you don't want you child under the age of 14 riding on a motorcycle, then don't let him/her. :curse:

If you cannot parent, then don't expect the law to parent for you. :banghead:

On the other side, given the recent fuel price crisis, let make sure people cannot save money on fuel by riding a motorcycle when taking their child to their friends house. :whatever:

DON'T GET ME STARTED!!! :angry:

This is how we ended up with Bicycle helmet laws. Another woman in politics trying to make a name for herself. If you don't want you child under the age of 14 riding on a motorcycle, then don't let him/her. :curse:

If you cannot parent, then don't expect the law to parent for you. :banghead:

On the other side, given the recent fuel price crisis, let make sure people cannot save money on fuel by riding a motorcycle when taking their child to their friends house. :whatever:

DON'T GET ME STARTED!!! :angry:

I agree the bill is not well thought, however as a first responder I have seen helmets save lives and I don't think the two arguments go together. I don't think anyone should be riding a bike, motorcycle or snowmobile without a helmet!

The advocates of this law used 'statistics' of child injuries.

Unfortunately, included in those statistics were children who (very unfortunately) bumped into or touched a hot muffler, etc. Those statistics were lumped into 'motorcycle injuries'.

There is actually a passenger law currently in place. The passenger's feet have to touch the foot pegs.

Not age based. Common sense based.

I do not believe in making laws to force common sense. If you want your child to wear a helmet, them make him/her wear a helmet. Don't expect a law to be your excuse.

I'm not even sure I agree with helmet laws for motorcycles and snowmobiles, that's not saying I would not wear one personally, I just don't know we need a law to protect us from ourselves.

When the arguments start about the costs of injuries, then alcohol and cigarettes should be banned in this country because they causes people to have injuries too.

When the arguments start about the costs of injuries, then alcohol and cigarettes should be banned in this country because they causes people to have injuries too.

Alcohol and cigarettes are taxed heavily for that very reason. They would be, and have been in the case of alcohol, banned if the government could get away with it. The laws are not written to protect you from yourself. They are written to protect everyone else who is affected by your stupid decisions.

I added my name as well, thanks for the heads up on this silly bill :curse:

I wrote my MPP as well.

Even Tho I dont have young kids anymore it is an idiotic law. Tarvel to Europe and see what in most cities is teh NUmber one method of getting around. Im sure that in most of Europe kids younger than 14 are DRIVING their own scooters and small motorcycles let alone being banned from being a passenger.

Alcohol and cigarettes are taxed heavily for that very reason. They would be, and have been in the case of alcohol, banned if the government could get away with it. The laws are not written to protect you from yourself. They are written to protect everyone else who is affected by your stupid decisions.

Much like "those people" that travel into restricted areas in, for example, the Grand Canyon and are in need of rescue....due to their "won't happen to me" attitude thousands of $$$ are spent rescuing them and the tax payers in the area end up footing the bill. Or when "Spiderman" climbs the side of a building and the firefighters have to risk their lives to get him down. Extreme examples, but the same idea.

Can some of you please post this on other forums that you visit.. Snowmobiling and non snowmobile related.. Let people know.. I will start a facebook petition and get things going over there.. Get the word out, email your friends that ride bikes..... Thanks. Rick

I will start a facebook petition and get things going over there..

Not everyone is on Facebook, how about a online pertition @ ipetition.com (I think that's it).

• 2 weeks later...
I will start a facebook petition and get things going over there..

Not everyone is on Facebook, how about a online pertition @ ipetition.com (I think that's it).

Hey revrnd.. I found that out.. I don't have enough friends to do it yet... Are you on FB or MyYearBook.com

My name on MyYearBook.com is Natural Born Sledder.....

Not everyone is on Facebook

At current growth rates, the entire population of the world will have joined Facebook by 2010. Also, per-capita, Ontario has the highest Facebook uptake in the world. Therefore, for the purposes of reaching an Ontario audience, one may assume that everyone is on Facebook. The small minority of people who have not joined aren't important anyway. ;)

At current growth rates, the entire population of the world will have joined Facebook by 2010. Also, per-capita, Ontario has the highest Facebook uptake in the world. Therefore, for the purposes of reaching an Ontario audience, one may assume that everyone is on Facebook. The small minority of people who have not joined aren't important anyway. ;)

What gives you the right to declare anybody "not important" ?

i havent joined yet nor will I..............

im not impotant!

i havent joined yet nor will I..............

im not impotant!

I've no plans to join either, can't be bothered.

I emailed the petition info to my regular contacts to pass it along.

Archived