Shining Tree/Gowganda Lake accommodation

tricky

I have heard that Gowganda Lake Lodge is no longer catering to sledders because they are fully booked by Hydro workers and resources work crews. Is that true? is their restaurant and gas still available? I have phoned, left a message and emailed hoping that what I have been told by a fellow sledder is incorrect.

Have any of you stayed at Tree Bears Camp recently? How much accommodation do they have? I suppose if I would just forget my principles and join Facebook, I could get all my questions answered in minutes! HaHa.

Thanks Rich. Much appreciated. Information like that is why I am on this forum. Love it. Gas is still available off site.

Talked to a guy Friday night who was just at 3 Bears and he said it was great. Auld Reekie in Gowganda was great for ATVs 5 yrs ago but don't know about now.

Thanks Zertrider. Auld Reekie is certainly still nice, but I am frugal and $175 per night per person plus tax plus drinks is freaking expensive. last time I stayed there (4 years ago), one guy's bill was over $300. Mine was $200 with just 2 beers - 4 years ago! At that price every night, I would have to give up sledding.

12 hours ago, tricky said:

I have heard that Gowganda Lake Lodge is no longer catering to sledders because they are fully booked by Hydro workers and resources work crews. Is that true? is their restaurant and gas still available? I have phoned, left a message and emailed hoping that what I have been told by a fellow sledder is incorrect.....

So my Learned Friend, who normally gives me good information, was wrong about Gowganda Lake Lodge. They returned my email and are still catering to sledders, ATVers and bikers. Great place to stay, winter or summer.

• Like 1

Staged from Tree Bears last March and stayed there the first night. They had 4 newer cabins then and I think the two older ones as well and they were supposed to be building more. Great food and the cabin was clean and comfortable.

3 hours ago, tricky said:

Thanks Zertrider. Auld Reekie is certainly still nice, but I am frugal and $175 per night per person plus tax plus drinks is freaking expensive. last time I stayed there (4 years ago), one guy's bill was over $300. Mine was $200 with just 2 beers - 4 years ago! At that price every night, I would have to give up sledding.

A couple of the "hunt camp" type places we stayed at that generally charge at the end of your stay for gas, lodging and drinks, were up there as well.

There is a price to stay at these places vs. a motel/hotel in more rural areas, but the "hunt camp" locations are where the better memories from the trips over the years generally come from, IMO!

• Like 2

Rich, Zertrider and Johnny_5oh, thanks for the Tree Bears recommendations. Couldn't get the night that we wanted there, but have reconfigured our trip so that we are there on a different night, and that got us in. Will have report next week.

• Like 2