knee and hip update

skidooboy

well, some of you know, and for those that dont, i'll give an update.

two weeks ago while practicing at the local indoor mx park on my supermoto bike (dirt bike with road racing wheels and slicks), i crashed hard after a set of doubles. i landed the jump but the impact snapped the throttle open (mental mistake), and shot me and the bike into the air like a cannon at the next obstacle, which was a step up table top jump. i bailed off the bike, trying to get away from it. and lost the race to the ground. :rotflmao:

i chipped my tib fib near the knee, totally destroyed the left knee. i ruptured the acl, lcl, damaged the menisci (both), and beat up the postieror (outside) knee capsule. after landing my left hip hit the ground then the bike pile drove me further into oblivion. i have a huge bruise and fluid pocket on the right hip/thigh area, and have a small hairline crack in the pelvis they will let heal on its own.

i am scheduled for surgery friday at noon, will be off work 4 weeks. then rehabbing for 4-5 months. so, my summer is shot, all my race plans are down the tubes for the year. i may be able to race at sarnia with the cmrc at the end of sept, but that will be a big MAYBE.

here's a few pics of the bruise, it looked ugly for the first week. now it is almost gone. i'll keep you updated on the progress if anyone wants to know. ski

92_3fdd7f040422f6c2eb86164b0959d14e

one more bruise pic. ski

92_5607ae9c685c65eb90432e89cd4221a2

ski......stick with the physio thats the most important......i had back surg oct/07, of work for about 6 weeks, physio everyday if not twice a day and had a quick rip on the sled dec/07,i took it easy until about mid feb and still managed about 2300 miles.

Goodluck

Sammy

Good Luck with the surgery and get well soon!

Holy Cow, Ski, that's quite a mess you made of yourself !!

Hope the surgery goes well and the rehab. The good news is you won't be missing any sledding in the next few weeks. Take the time to get back in shape for next season !

mega OUCH. Cruciate ligaments are a biotch to heal. Mine hurt post op for months. I know about having no cartilige left in a knee too and it sucks. Hurts with weather changes, after mogul riding, jumping etc. I gave up water and sno skiing, skating etc because my surgeon said I could keep doing that stuff or I could walk later in life, my choice. I even sold my stand up offshore boat and bought a sit down because big waves hurt like hell and often required ice packs after a day of boating.

Good luck and lkike Lep said. physio,physio,physio.

Maybe if I ever finger out the cookies on the new server - maybe then I will be able to see your pics? :wtf:

Maybe if I ever finger out the cookies on the new server - maybe then I will be able to see your pics? :wtf:

OX, what's up man? You can't see pics too? :shock:

OX, what's up man? You can't see pics too? :shock:

I'm tellin' yuh - I'm havin' a heckuva time eh? :banghead:

Even had 'putor techies in today hookin' up a router and I kan tell that they did some "setting" adjustments when on another site as I can see ads on there now, so I thought that maybe I could see his pics. But nope. :wtf: I have always seen all other pics. :photo:

See if I kan git some pics up myself now...

Ouch. Good luck and keep us posted.

Well I tried the Firefox aggin and I see pics. ... Not dead pics - but just pics... :poke:

Looks like it was best that you stayed home that weekend Yammiboy. I have a few toes that look like that rat now tho. I have been hobbling around in my old Sorels the last few dayz now. :o I'll be back to normall (well - considering eh?) before you, so I guess I have that to look forwards to. ;)

Generally speaking - the sleds don't beat you up near so bad as the bikes. The substrate is a bit more forgiving in the winter. :lol: And sleds don't have too many studs and such sticking out of them like a bike does. - Unless of course you add some... (Doo they make 2-1/4" studs? :crazy:

Been three days since his last post and a day since they were to hack on him. The wifey keeping the laptop away from him? Or just too many good drugs? :wtf:

well, almost a week out and things are starting to look up. very slow and painfull to move around. went cold turkey off pain meds two days ago, i was getting tylenol poisioning from the vicodin and percosets. i was taking approx 3-4000mg of tylenol per day (in the vic and perks). was making me nausiated, and fryin my liver. would have been nice to get a pain med that didnt have so much tylenol in them. took a few steps on my own yesterday, paid for it, but i can walk still. gonna be on crutches awhile though. gotta go pick up the kid at lake superior state university in the soo on weds. if i can stand being in a vehicle that long. ski

• 1 month later...

figure no one has been in here in awhile so i would post up an update. well seven weeks after the last update, things are alot better, have had physical therepy for 6 weeks, hurts like hell but, i am walking without a brace now. pain is getting better everyday except physio days. last week was my last week for physio for office visits (my choice), now its up to me in the gym, and my drive to get back to where i was or better. i have done this before so i know what has to be done.

even though i am not supposed to, today i gave myself a fathers day gift by attempting to run my first mile since the surgery. i made it 1/2 mile and the pain was too great, walked another quarter mile frontwards, and then 1/4 mile home backwards. walking backwards strengthens and works the stabilizer muscles of the knee. looks funny but does a body good. 1/2 mile might not sound like much but, at 41 with almost a total knee reconstruction, i am waaay ahead of schedule, and this was a huge accomplishment for me.

wont be racing this year at all, hoping to be on the bike and "playing lightly" very soon. just want to be healthy and recovered by xmas for our annual outwest, deep snow extravaganza. that will be the big test as to how my winter in northern ontario will be.

just wanted to drop in and say hi to my ontario friends. miss you guys, come out and play. just because there isnt snow on the ground, doesnt mean we cant talk about it or something else. wanting updates on sasquatch, mo, john, reg, luc, jonesy, marty and gundy, st louis dave, and everyone else that makes this one heck of a great forum on the internet. ski

Good luck with the recovery. Sounds like you are making great strides (pun intended)

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Ski

Thank you for the update

keep up the gym, hopefully you will be in good shape for your deep snow.

Here it's quiet with the mill closed. I'm lucky I'm working in Wawa, so I'm home everyday.

We did received a OFSC grant to up grade part of 2 of our top trail. that will help for sure, because we are broke. No more volunteer left except Luc and I

stay in touch

Reg

Archived