Mt. Forest, Arthur, Comestoga Lake

Sledder12

Map shows trails are open but limited.

3 inches of new snow this morning will help Conestoga lake !

Planning on riding up to Owen Sound area Wednesday and Friday.

Should be in good shape.

trails are good with the new snow, but better the more north east you go. i would drop in mount forest and start from there. although arthur and north through the the marsh was ok this morning.

We dropped in Mt Forest today very thin by days end .  Stay in the truck another half hour to Durham large lot behind Tim Hortons .

Will check map tomorrow but wanted to try and drop near Shelbourne 

Get out while you can before things warm up again! I parked in Arthur and ran up to Walters falls/Pretty river Provincial Park today. Things were great, and passed 2 groomers on way back from Markdale to Arthur this evening, so should be set for the morning!  Ride report: 

guessing they will close trails before weekiend in this area due to possible plus 8 temps?

44 minutes ago, OntSledder said:

Great, thanks for the detailed report. Where did you park in Arthur?

at the old big lots (now closed) lot which is trailside.  check the staging link.

trails green right to Shelburne today.

hoping to get last few rides in before weekend melt comes

16 minutes ago, OntSledder said:

Ah, so there is a business that is closed down and you can park there during the week?

First time I've personally used it, but was on the staging map that's pinned in the forum but don't know how 'blessed' it is.  Officially there are signs, Max 2h, no overnight, no trucks (assuming big rigs) but I gave it a go without any issues. My minivan and open double trailer is pretty unassuming, and was well out of the way.:) It's a strip mall with the big business closed, and just a couple small businesses in the other end, but a pretty big lot (ha!), with only like 3-4 cars in it so I wouldn't *think* a 2-3 occasional trailers would be of concern to them. Now if a whole bunch started showing up, perhaps. But obviously use your own judgement at your own risk and if unsure, pick a different spot.

The trail runs up wells street.

https://goo.gl/maps/urMcjWKGuL32

1 hour ago, Diceman said:

guessing they will close trails before weekiend in this area due to possible plus 8 temps?

I would think they will leave them open until they fall apart, likely Saturday afternoon.

No point in saving the base at this point. Its done for this year once they close. Nothing but plus temps coming for over a week.

1 hour ago, Diceman said:

yeah, the warm up i think will ruin our fun once again.  I haven't checked detail reports for all the areas I rode, but hopefully some of the areas last it out. Since there's been no consistency this year with all the warm ups, I can't imagine the base is very well developed, so it may disappear quickly. :(

43 minutes ago, nooch_77 said:

Im looking to ride Friday- Im solo from Buffalo. Want to meet up anyone?

I'm skiing Friday unfortunately, so I'm out.  Hope you get a good rip in though.

36 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I would think they will leave them open until they fall apart, likely Saturday afternoon.

No point in saving the base at this point. Its done for this year once they close. Nothing but plus temps coming for over a week.

I'd like to think some places will survive fine muskoka north if it cools down enough at night and is cold and snow the following week. Mother nature is one cruel .......I let you guys fill that in. 

1 hour ago, reevester said:

I'd like to think some places will survive fine muskoka north if it cools down enough at night and is cold and snow the following week. Mother nature is one cruel .......I let you guys fill that in. 

I still think that if trails were closed on weekend it would save alot of the base...other than rain, sleds on warm days will destroy base much quicker

Isn't this the freeloaders weekend.  Even if they close the trails, I would imagine they will still be out on them. Better get out now because the trails will be destroyed after this weekend.

20 minutes ago, steve c said:

Isn't this the freeloaders weekend.  Even if they close the trails, I would imagine they will still be out on them. Better get out now because the trails will be destroyed after this weekend.

Yup, 3 days of +4 temps forecast for the Midland, Port Severn, Orillia area and 3 days of freeloaders running around the trails.

45 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Yup, 3 days of +4 temps forecast for the Midland, Port Severn, Orillia area and 3 days of freeloaders running around the trails.

8 and 9 in areas http://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/on-13_metric_e.html

Archived